Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2007, 19:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota innova owners going for tuning boxes be warned.

First of all let me make it clear this thread was not made to bad mouth any manufacturer/service provider.Purpose of the Thread is so that people are careful from whom they get their tuning boxes.This is part of an email I recieved from the technical guys at Toyota F-1.These guys are the official guys for toyota with respect to tuning engines and that includes diesel d4d's.

Quote:
With respect to people importing tuning kits for the Toyota innova D4D from Europe to Thailand,Philippines and India.These are usually tuning kits designed for the European Hilux D4D 2.5ltr[75kw,102ps,260Nm]The European cars have different engine electronics and the mapping is also completely different.The kits do not suit neither to the Thailand spec nor the India spec.!

These tuning kits thus shall not perform optimally on these engines even if it could be somehow managed to get them fitted onto the engines[India/Thailand/Philippines] and in some cases may actually be damaging to the engine.

Both the thailand as well as indian innova engines are not available in Europe and usually tuning kits require a long term development of around half a year[includes road tests] which makes it quite impractical for these european manufacturers and that is why they usually resort to the above tactic.

Toyota India does not support tuning boxes in any Manner.

A few additions from my side:

Although the Thai/Philippine innova is 2.5ltr[75kw,102ps,260Nm] the tuning kits for european cars are still not suitable.For Indian conditions Toyota has considered various factors and the engine is 2.5ltr[75kw,102ps,200 Nm].Indian consumers are therefore asked to further check if their tuning kits are actually meant for the Indian model only,whose configuration is different from the ASEAN country models[That is the reason I feel for the complaints regarding tuning boxes not working well for the Innova in India].

Indian consumers are best advised to crosscheck with their respective tuning box manufacturers before going in for one.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 8th February 2007 at 19:10.
Old 8th February 2007, 19:12   #2
BANNED

Is your post based on a personal experience?
Old 8th February 2007, 19:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes this is based on personal experience[someone real close]

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 8th February 2007 at 19:30.
Old 8th February 2007, 19:26   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would anyone want to tune a van of all vehicles? Unless its converted to a crazy dragster. Conversely no performance addict will buy an Innova diesel over a petrol car. And the other category of sporty diesels - the SUV - which the Innova is not, is exempt from this train of thought

That van is well insulated from a tuning box, I can assure you. A 45 year old business man wont need it. Besides the Hilux is a pickup - while people in those countries might have the pickup performance bug bitten them, we're a different people when it comes to pickups

Last edited by theMAG : 8th February 2007 at 19:28.
Old 8th February 2007, 20:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Why would anyone want to tune a van of all vehicles? Unless its converted to a crazy dragster. Conversely no performance addict will buy an Innova diesel over a petrol car. And the other category of sporty diesels - the SUV - which the Innova is not, is exempt from this train of thought
If that would be the case, no one would buy Tuning boxes for the Merc Diesels, Vernas, Elantras, Accents, Skodas. One can definately go ahead and but a Skoda 1.8 petrol rather than going for a tuning box in a 1.9 Tdi.

In simple terms :: People buy the car as per their needs and get tuning boxes for further enhanced Driving experience.

Last edited by dipen : 8th February 2007 at 20:16.
Old 8th February 2007, 21:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
If that would be the case, no one would buy Tuning boxes for the Merc Diesels, Vernas, Elantras, Accents, Skodas. One can definately go ahead and but a Skoda 1.8 petrol rather than going for a tuning box in a 1.9 Tdi.

In simple terms :: People buy the car as per their needs and get tuning boxes for further enhanced Driving experience.

dipen, all the vehicles you've mentioned are cars and not vans- which is also my original point. Not anti-diesel pro-petrol
Old 8th February 2007, 23:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

theMAG, I'd have to disagree here. Whatever I buy, if I can afford to get some more performance out of it without sacrificing its base objectives, I'd go for it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2011 at 19:25. Reason: old post reported & edited
Old 8th February 2007, 23:45   #8
BANNED

Can we ask what happened?
Old 9th February 2007, 00:47   #9
BHPian

I have a Innova,i drive sedately,Look at my desperate query's to pete on the pete's box review thread!!!! I guess each person has his own idea's....Mine is Innova needs more!!!!

Thanks for the info Rahul.
Old 9th February 2007, 01:10   #10
BANNED

What mag wanted to express is that if a proper tuning box is not available for Innova, then why risk it with the above mentioned kinda thingys. Due to the fact that Innova is a van and not a performance car. It's well worth to hold the urge and wait till a proper tuning box (designed for our kinda innovas) arrives. That's all I think.

But as C3PO said, I would definitely like to get some performance squeezed out if That's possible without harming the car itself. For the same reason; I, with all due respects and honours request Mr. TURBOIndia to please do look into this urgent situation here.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
For the same reason; I, with all due respects and honours request Mr. TURBOIndia to please do look into this urgent situation here.
Didnt you guys remember, that turboindia said they are testing extensively with the box on innova before launch, and thats what taking time. If he was to bluff, he could have launched it much earlier.

@turboindia
,have you done with the tesing??, can we know the results??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Indian consumers are best advised to crosscheck with their respective tuning box manufacturers before going in for one.
well said rahul, its better to talk with the manufactures of the tunuing boxes, before comming to a conclusion.

Quote:
These tuning kits thus shall not perform optimally on these engines
It is clear that these engines means, toyota engines. But these tuning kits?? what do these mean??, does it include pete's box, its not clear. I agree toyota would not directly mention any company's name. But some more clarification is desirable.

raj.
kkr2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2007, 10:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
theMAG, I'd have to disagree here. Whatever I buy, if I can afford to get some more performance out of it without sacrificing its base objectives, I'd go for it.
C3PO, I trust you'll call me when you tweak a diesel van that you obviously love more than yourself.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2011 at 19:25. Reason: will PM
Old 5th January 2008, 16:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

guys why do u want to screw or risk ur innova. i think innova is a very gud van. it zooms over the highways. also the pickup is far decent. above all its a reliable toyota engine. and if any damage occurs the toyota autho dealer will say a strict no to the warranty.
Old 5th January 2008, 16:46   #14
BANNED

So what about Pete's for Innova, is it reliable or not?
Old 5th January 2008, 16:55   #15
Team-BHP Support

petes is reliable. it has been tested on this engine unlike the other ones which were tested on other engines and sold as compatible with the innova. the petes box has been tested properly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks