Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 02:49   #31
BHPian

i guess ported and evo6 have actually understood what i was trying to bring up over here...the length and the diameter of the air intake pipe play a very vital role in power delivery of the engine..well i can tell you abt the hose being choked because that is a common problem in most swift air intake system's...that's why most intake pipe's developed for the swift have one bend from the throttle body coming frontwards and then merging into another bend which leads the filter away from the engine towards the battery..excessive bends also restrict air flow..but i guess this is the only way to make an air intake install work on a swift intake..also when you said you've seen a lot of mivecs with the filter located behind the bumper...i was talking abt the palio specifically...the engine is way too cramped up to relocate the filter...anyways best of luck with your intake project..do post some pics once your install is complete..cheers...!
Old 13th March 2007, 09:14   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
would a scoop on the bonnet or slats as seen in the 124-250 and 300 diesel mercs serve the purpose of the cool air intake?
Scoop would be fine but it involves cutting business which not many would agree considering that there are cheaper alternatives and they are equally efficient.
Old 13th March 2007, 15:54   #33
BHPian

hi kiran
for that matter you should talk to my friend who has instaled the pipe but i am having lots of fun and performenace with my filter and pipe
as i told you before he is bhp member and his id is whicked wheels you guys can contact him
cheers
Old 13th March 2007, 16:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Scoop would be fine but it involves cutting business which not many would agree considering that there are cheaper alternatives and they are equally efficient.
moralfibre payams car has got a evo type vent on the bonnet thats takes care of extra hot air. Yes there must be some hot air getting in the filter but his car rocks. THe only other place is under the bumper but practically its not worth on our indian roads matter of fact in pune with all the road work and the pot holes in the rains .
Old 13th March 2007, 22:01   #35
Team-BHP Support

Thanks James. I will get in touch with you very soon.
Old 14th March 2007, 12:49   #36
BHPian

[HTML]Scoop would be fine but it involves cutting business[/HTML]

How much would that cost?

Rahul
Old 18th March 2007, 13:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
Hey guys,
I'm geting a heat insulated partition built in fibre for the filters on my ride. It should seperate the engine heat from mixing in. The cold air should come in through the factory ducts (provision for the OE ice box) that comes in just on top of the right mudguard. I'll share some snaps here as soon as i'm done.

About getting the filter down to the bumper sides, just make sure that you dont run into water logged holes or dips.
Are you going for something like this or just something similar to a splash guard.

I have a Palio 1.2 and this is what I have done but I am also having the feeling that its taking hot air. Moreover I dont have the custom induction pipe. I simply used the OEM rubber hosing. I dont know how much difference would a custom pipe work would help. My installation looks like this

not much different from this one

I saw this nice article and it mentions that any filter installation close to the engine bay would be a bad one. It also mentions that the best installation would be in the bumber area as most of you have already mentioned .But, at already discussed above , it is not viable to have the filter located in the bumper considering indian roads and weather conditions. So I am also trying to figure out a way to route cold air from somewhere in the bumper area to the filter. While doing this I discovered this intersting thing .
The left side of the front bumper has these slits which are not there in the right side. I wish they were on the left side and voillla we would have an option for routing the cold Air from here

Old 19th March 2007, 09:14   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
The left side of the front bumper has these slits which are not there in the right side. I wish they were on the left side and voillla we would have an option for routing the cold Air from here

Hi Rishi,

These slits are there on the newer Palio's / Petra's. These bumpers original belong to the Fiat Diesel family and the part where you see a black plastic thing is actually a place for the oil cooler of Diesel Fiats. As a cost cutting measure Fiat is now offering these bumpers standard on all the cars that came with a discount. Thanks for pointing these out. I know where I can place my filter now. Sorry old Palio users you dont get this privilege since your cars have a different bumper.
Old 20th March 2007, 12:14   #39
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the replies and contributions.
Here are some of my observations(Only city running):
1)The engine is running a lot cooler now.The temp needle used to hover near the half way mark(w/o ac) earlier but now it reaches the quarter mark only.Does that mean more cold air is being sucked inside?
2)Driveability has definitely improved at lower rpm's.No doubt about that.
3)In gear acceleration seems to have also improved.

Rahul.
Old 20th March 2007, 15:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Are you going for something like this or just something similar to a splash guard.
Yep, It would be similar to the one in this snap.
Old 20th March 2007, 15:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you guys do something like this?
Old 20th March 2007, 16:04   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Why not ? The car in picture is/was owned by a team-bhp member - kiran_100bhp.
Old 20th March 2007, 16:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

I wont do anything like that to my car... Doesnt it hamper the aerodynamics of the car (just curious). I have seen a zen in Delhi with a hose coming out from the headlamp assembly for cold intake, but this is like 10 steps forward than that...
Old 22nd March 2007, 15:09   #44
BHPian

Ok...just went to nashik on 20th and returned on 21st.
A small comparison on the fuel efficiency figures pre and post install.

Pre-installation:

Tankful @ 40972 kms on 02.03.07.Odo read - 478.Fuel topped(IOC Xtra premium at Karad) - 40.43 litres.Efficiency - 11.82 kpl.Driving conditions - 100 % a/c with speeds between 100 - 120(occassional burst of 140) kph on Pune - Bangalore highway.

Post installation:

Tankful @41316 kms on 20.03.07.Odo read - 344 kms.Fuel topped(reliance at Alephata on Pune Nashik road) - 30.59 litres.Efficiency - 11.24 kpl.Driving conditions - 100 % ac with speeds between 100 - 120 kms. 262 kms on highway(karad to Pune 170 kms from previous top up and 92 kms from Pune - to Alephata) plus city driving of 82 kms.% age wise - Highway:76,City:24.Actual highway distance covered post install - 92 kms

Now the surprise:

Tankful @ 41561 on 21.03.07 from the same Reliance bunk as mentioned above.Odo read - 245 kms.Fuel topped up - 14.77 litres.Efficiency - 16.58 litres!!!.Driving conditions - 100 % a/c with speeds between 100 - 120 with 98 % on highway and 3 % in Nashik city.

Rahul.
Old 23rd March 2007, 11:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

Damn neat Rahul. I am happy you are satisfied with the filter. Congratulations

Btw, I recorded 16.95 on my 1.6 without any mods but the speed was a constant 90kmph on the Mum-Pune expressway.

Most Viewed