Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2007, 17:09   #181
BHPian

been reading this thread orginally, and then just revisited it now

awesome pics hell kuul, many thanks for all of those

i see some guys started some pointless argument abt who which city were the best racers even before they were born,
and then we wonder why the racing scene got lost somewhere in between.
luckily its on the upward and should see some intersting action soon.

i wanted to do my fiat witha double carb setup, but my father whose car it was natch wouldnt have anything of that!!!

cheerio
revvhead

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th July 2007 at 00:04.
Old 7th July 2007, 21:02   #182
BHPian

hey i am not verry aquainted with fiats is the 1100 the 'dukkar'??
i really think its a great looking car with the sucide doors and all
how much did u get it for v16? and how much did u spend on it getting it restored? if its cheap enough i would love having one
Old 8th July 2007, 03:02   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@guys - check out my friends list @ orkut. and look for maneet singh ahluwalia. his cell no is there. but i have no idea as to what is the exact address.

Fiat 1100 @ DOHA, UAE.
Doha is not in UAE, Doha is the Capital of Qatard
Old 8th July 2007, 11:24   #184
BHPian

I am unable to start a thread.. But this one is close . so here goes..

Has anyone measured the engine bay in a padmini? I have a 89 padmini in bangalore that I want to plonk a big engine into.

Can someone tell me what is the width and length of the engine bay?

I am getting a Z300 engine and transmission for 500$. I know the weight in the front will be an issue- but feel that the 1.6 diesel on the 137D was as heavy as the aluminium block VG30E, and hence the diesel suspension components should fit.

Haaaaaaaaaaaalp..
Old 8th July 2007, 19:07   #185
Senior - BHPian

You're going to have a whale of a time shipping that engine back to India.

...Well if you get it down and want to sell it, I'd buy it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th July 2007 at 09:41.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:48   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Ill say. Think it through very carefully. Besides, on paper it might look ok, the reality will be very different. I guarantee it! Once you bring it down at an enormous cost, and if it doesnt work out, consider it lost. You'll have zero resale for both, engine and padmini.
Old 8th July 2007, 23:02   #187
BHPian

I am doing a TR & getting a container load of stuff including a motorcycle..I will have to drop my pants for the customs guys anyway :(. Might as well make it worth it.. he he he..

I am trying to see if there is enough width in the engine bay.. Since the VG30e is a V6, it is about the same length as a 2.0 inline 4..

I am never gonna sell the padmini ,hence resale doesnot matter..

I will most probably pick up a donor car to hack up and then transfer the chassis number over

Saw the video on youtube with a padmini creaming an Octy RS and thought it would be fun to do something like that

So could someone who has a padmini let me know what is the width that I have to play with?

Thanks
Vijay
Old 10th July 2007, 00:50   #188
BHPian

My Fiat pics

Hi guys,

Here is a link to some pics of my Fiat(white n black) sorry the pics arent too great as they were shot in an undergroud parking lot. The other red one belongs of one of my friends.

I bought my fiat a couple of years back exactly as it looks. No mods to the engine etc. Its got a steering for an Esteem, has floor gears and bucket seats up front.

The major mods are, extra wide rims and tyres, white n black color combo, an extended front grill and two scoops on the bonnet and black straps on the doors all of which I learnt are hand made. and yes of course the rear wing on the boot.

yaser_cyclist - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

comments please.

Yaser.
Old 10th July 2007, 08:59   #189
Senior - BHPian

i told you guys that i saw two modded fiats in Hyderabad (see here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/474926-post180.html ) but the red one is not the one i saw at Banjara Hills. it had wide 13 inchers.

@yaser - the rims look like amby rims???

posting the pics on behalf of yaser_cyclist:

Last edited by planet_rocker : 10th July 2007 at 09:04.
Old 10th July 2007, 09:37   #190
BHPian

Quote:
the rims look like amby rims???
Come on..... these are Padmini Rims, modified to accomodate wider tyres. Look carefully.. the hub section.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:56   #191
BHPian

Hi Yasser_cyclist...Could you please let me know the place you got the rims and also pls mention the profile of the tyres in figures. Cuz i am planning to buy a car at a low cost and then modd it....
Options I am considering are

>Contessa..
>118NE
>Fiat 1100
>Esteem/Maruti 1000..
Old 10th July 2007, 16:49   #192
Ram
Senior - BHPian

It's a no-brainer that wheel rims are a very mission critical component of a car. Do the wide, assembled wheels hark back to a time when importing wheels was too tortuous in India?

In our world, design has come a long way from the solid-wooden spoked wheels of the 1928 Chevrolet,

and the wire-wheel spoked wheels of the 1928 model A Ford.

Another thing is the wheels look too wide for these tires.

The tire side walls are flaring out because the tire beads have to seat in rims that are too wide for the tires.

Here, let me clarify with a diagram.

Quod Erat Demonstradum

Ram
Old 10th July 2007, 23:44   #193
BHPian

those are FIAT rims

very rightly said Salilpawar - those are fiat rims widened to take on wider tyres and ya the tryes walls flare out a bit - hmmmm that means those rims cud actually have taken on much wider tyres but then it wud lead to the tyres touching the body especially the front ones while taking a full turn - ofcourse even that could he solved with some modifications to the wheel arches etc.

I do not know where these were made but they sure look like hand made in some lill garage. I had bought this one as it is a cpl of yrs back. I know it cud have had an imported alloy wheels etc but U know the old school of guys wanted to do things on their own - the mechanic from where I bought this has been fixing cars for over 4 decades...

Lancersfx, I shall provide the tyre profile 2morrow as m at work now and my fiat is parked at home and I don't exactly remember the numbers on it.

BTW there is one more black fiat in our colony with similar rims but diff tyres and even that car looks sparingly used.

Yaser
Old 11th July 2007, 03:07   #194
Senior - BHPian

Well its the same Padmini Rim, But I guess the outer-rim is fit inside out to the center hub. Why I say this is because of the offset. See the front on snap you'll see the wheels protruding out. But as Rams diagram mentions, isn't there too much of a negative offset. Stock specification would be 31mm of positive offset.

Last edited by 1100D : 11th July 2007 at 03:17.
Old 11th July 2007, 05:59   #195
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Backspacing is defined as the measurement from the inside of the rim edge to the edge of the mounting surface.
Typically done on the wheel without the tire. Useful when checking what custom wheel will fit the car, especially if you want to replace the stock wheels with another set of the same size but of a different style, without rubbing the tires in the wheelwells.

On the other hand, Offset is the distance from the hub mounting surface on the car axle side to the true centerline of the wheel. The hub aka "bearing tube" runs down through the wheel center. The hub mounting surface refers to the back side of the wheel hub that touches the drum. Needless to say, Offsets are different for front wheel drives and rear wheel drives.

American custom wheels are usually stamped as "FWD" and "RWD".
Positive offset wheels are supposedly found on front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles.
Negative offset wheels are also referred to as deep-dish wheels.

Many American cars of the 1970s had deep-dish wheels. Of course the stock bearings on these American cars were designed for the stock negative offset deep-dish wheels.

In the case of the Padmini, the severe cantilever stress on the negative offset wheel will cause uneven bearing wear.
And the bearings may even seize and break after a race or two. So much for bling looks.

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks