Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2007, 08:57   #1
BHPian

Modded Premier Padminis (Fiat 1100)

These are the Premier Padminis which were used for racing in India in the 70's and 80's... Can somebody please give me more info about them... Do any of these still exist in India??

Can somebody post pics of the rally Padminis too?

If yes, I would like to see some latest pics and even videos...

The most similar looking Fiat to the above examples in recent times is the one seen at Mumbai Speed Run 2007
BTW, can somebody invite the owner of this car on T-BHP???

@ Mods, how about converting this into the official modded Padminis thread?

Here's the original source:
Cybersteering.com - Feature - The Ultimate Indian Racing Saloon Car

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 14th March 2007 at 09:11.
Old 14th March 2007, 11:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

@salil - these fiats (1100ds) were mainly the group A2 fiats used mainly in the TSD / SS rallies.

As far as I know: the performance mods included stiffer shocks, Weber Carbs, high lift cams, bigger pistons, better Jets, FFE. Padminis / 1100ds came with factory fitted anti-roll bars (great han!). Some of them could reach very high speeds very quickly.

as for the "Spirit of Calcutta" it sported 15 inchers with disk brakes. it belonged to Niaz from Calcutta.

i dont know about other places, but in Kolkata there are a quite number of these beasts hidden / rusting.

talking about tuners: there are three (3) tuners in Kolkata AFAIK - Kochi (rally car tuner), Alok Da (do), Joydeb (do) who used to prepare these fiats. and they have a whole lot of knowledge about how these cars were tuned.

Mumbai Speed Run Fiat has the body of the fiat but with the 1.8T Isz heart, the fiat's soul is missing. but it does qualify as the modded padmini.

talking about Modded Padminis - a must watch -> 1100D's gallery. i love his ride a lot. you should see the way the 1969 beauty moves.
Old 14th March 2007, 12:10   #3
BHPian

@ planet_rocker. Thanks a lot for the info..

Quote:
i dont know about other places, but in Kolkata there are a quite number of these beasts hidden / rusting.

talking about tuners: there are three (3) tuners in Kolkata AFAIK - Kochi (rally car tuner), Alok Da (do), Joydeb (do) who used to prepare these fiats. and they have a whole lot of knowledge about how these cars were tuned.
If you manage to find some in Kolkata.... do post some photos
Old 14th March 2007, 12:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Padmini / 1100d Mod Options

@guys check out the word file link. please understand the comments are the options available but not quite tested other than the esteem coils.

but Weber carb with proper jetsize can easily do the trick.

1100ds have higher top speed while the padminis have better acceleration AFAIK. and both of these have different body design.
Old 14th March 2007, 15:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

wow this is great stuff...this was rallying at its peak back in the day...its only now that the scene is picking up once more...

I can think of a lot of people who experienced these cars first hand, not many are net savvy though!

A friend of mine, Behram Dhabhar used to race in MASA events in the 70s and 80s, even being scrutineer at the Himalayan rally at one point...He is an authority on preparing Fiats, (has recently done up 2 lovely cars)...you can contact him at dhabhar.behram@mahindra.com

he was kind enough to share these photos of his beloved MMY 43...

Cheers
Karl
Old 14th March 2007, 16:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

A few more of the ex-racers.

Old 14th March 2007, 16:20   #7
BHPian

The most similar looking Fiat to the above examples in recent times is the one seen at Mumbai Speed Run 2007

Really loved this car in Mumbai seed run2007 .
Old 14th March 2007, 17:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Rtech / @karl - thanks for the pics.

love the sidedraft carb. omg! i'l have wet dreams tonight.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 14th March 2007 at 17:34.
Old 14th March 2007, 18:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post

Really loved this car in Mumbai seed run2007 .
Yes,the wide body kit is exactly same.........
Old 14th March 2007, 18:33   #10
BHPian

always dream to have one padmini and modify it till dead one day i will make this dream come true specially after watching this fiat in speedrun
Old 14th March 2007, 20:57   #11
BHPian

hey i had a padmini from 1988 to 1996,, i had modded it,i will try to put the snaps here.
Old 14th March 2007, 21:49   #12
BHPian

Sourced this pic from fiatclub

Hey karlosdeville,
Can you (or anybody who knows about Fiats) enlighten me about this Fiat (encircled) with a different looking grille?? Is it a mod or an original?

Also, anybody with pics of modded Fiat Millicentos (locally known as dukkar fiats)?

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 14th March 2007 at 21:51.
Old 14th March 2007, 22:21   #13
BHPian

Check this out

Off-topic but worth sharing this.....

These are 1:43 die-cast scale models of Fiat 1100 and Fiat 1100D made by a German manufacturer

Source: Modelcarworld

Incidently, this is my 200th post

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 14th March 2007 at 22:26.
Old 14th March 2007, 23:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post

Sourced this pic from fiatclub

Hey karlosdeville,
Can you (or anybody who knows about Fiats) enlighten me about this Fiat (encircled) with a different looking grille?? Is it a mod or an original?

Also, anybody with pics of modded Fiat Millicentos (locally known as dukkar fiats)?
The car in question is a 67 Fiat 1100R...never sold in India, this is a curiuos amalgum of sorts, sharing much with the 1100D and the later 124 AKA 118NE (like the front hinged bonnet and high bootline)...I know of 4 cars in Pune, a couple more sprinkled around south India...

A friend of mine owns this "dukkar", kitted out with a 118NE engine...

Old 14th March 2007, 23:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

There is one member @Fiat 1221cc who has a LHD 1221cc machine, his name is Rony Vesuna. He is from Mumbai, I had introduced him to Karl and Mr Dhabar. He has this 1221cc machine which seemingly goes great! Anyway the Scale model of the 1100d is infact the 1100 select model. It has everything similar to the 1100d from the front door onwards.

BTW dont blame me for being a spoilsport but why this sudden interest in modded padmini's!

Anyway about this Dukkar Fiat with 118NE engine, one thing I dont understand is that the 118NE engine has the exhaust manifold on the left so how could this car manage to have the tail pipe still on the right? Infact the front cross member itself needs extensive modifications to get the 118NE engine/gearbox to be fitted in the 103/1100d bodyshell.

Now PAL had manufactured a few 118NE engined Padmini's, maybe this person just took the chasis mod from there, but then the tailpipe still bothers me, cos I guess this exhaust loops below the transmission channel to get back onto the right, or maybe it does after the rear axle, but then there is no point taking the exhaust all the way back thru the left side and then routing it to the right. Moreover, the fuel lines are originally on the left, so this guy must have had to rechannel the fuel lines to the right, otherwise fuel lines staying too close to the hot exhaust.

Anyway I think I am thinking too much already!!

Most Viewed