Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2020, 18:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got cheated by 3M Thiruvanmiyur! Paid for CR70 film, but they installed SP50

Happy to see a nice ending to the story.

However, I think the thread should remain in the repository and should appear in the search. Removing a thread from the forum is like unlearning the lesson.

The intent of keeping the thread is NOT to bad mouth 3M. But it is only to guide and alert people that these kind of cheatings are possible.

So, please don't remove the thread
gkveda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 18:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Got cheated by 3M Thiruvanmiyur! Paid for CR70 film, but they installed SP50

While expressing my sympathies for you getting cheated at the authorised outlet of 3 M, it is a stern message to fellow bhpians to be careful and check what these so called reputed brand outlets/ franchises offer us. Its however soothing to read that the issue was amicably resolved by the 3 M people who apologised and corrected the wrong done, to the satisfaction of their customer.

Kudos to GTO and teambhp for resolving the issue.

As many friends have pointed out, use of any sunfilm on the OE factory fitted glass is illegal as per the Supreme Court's decision of May 2012.

Quote:

Autocar India

May 2012

The Supreme Court of India has banned the use of automotive sun-control film completely, across the country, effective from May 2012. The ruling comes as a shock to the Rs 150-crore industry that could close down overnight once the ban comes into effect.

Traffic police in various cities have already started notifying car owners to remove the sun film from their vehicles. Failure to do so will attract a penalty of Rs 100 for the first offence and Rs 300 for the second, and could also include seizure of your driving licence for repeated offences.

The Supreme Court’s decision has been made to curb crimes committed using the opacity of sun film as a cover. But the advantage of sun film in this tropical nation cannot be ignored and motorists will face the brunt of this ruling.

Dealers haven’t yet received orders from manufacturers to stop selling sun film and all the dealers we have spoken to still sell it.

However, car manufacturers will continue to tint glasses, as there is no ban on this. For those confused between tinting and film – tinting is adding a tinge of colour to the glass itself during its manufacture, and this is factory fitted when you buy a new car. Sun-control film is an accessory applied to the car after its purchase. The problem with the latter is that it is difficult to tell if the sun film you are buying actually complies with opacity regulations.

The Supreme Court ruling allows the tint of the front and rear windshields with 70 percent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) and side glasses with 50 percent VLT, but without any additional material applied to the glass.

So apart from window glass tinted from the factory, no additional sun protection can be added to your car’s windows. However, if you are provided with Z or Z+ security, you may be granted exemption from this law.
It is hence amply clear that factory fitted tinted glasses are not banned but must be commensurate with the specifications :-

Visual Light Transmission (VLT) for front and rear windscreens 70 %

Visual Light Transmission (VLT) for all side glasses 50 %

(no additional material can be applied to the glass)

Some important extracts from the judgement by Justice Swatantra Kumar
Quote:

Avishek Goenka versus Union of India and others

WRIT PETITION (CIVIL ) NO . 265 OF 2011

Head Note:-

Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 - Rule 100 - Visual Light Transmission (VLT) - Use of black
films on windows / windshields of four-wheeled vehicles - Court prohibited the use of
black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses,
windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country.

22. Rightly so, none of the orders of this Court have permitted use of black films. Rule 100(2) specifies the VLT percentage of the glasses at the time of manufacture and to be so maintained even thereafter. In Europe, Regulation No. 43 of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UN/ECE) and in Britain, the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations, 1986, respectively, refer to the International Standard ISO 3538 on this issue, providing for VLT percentage of 70 and 75 per cent respectively.

23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible. In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.

24. Another issue that has been raised in the present Writ Petition is that certain VIPs/VVIPs are using black films on their vehicles for security reasons. Even this practice is not supported by law, as no notification by the competent authority has been brought to our notice, giving exemption to such vehicles from the operation of Rule 100 or any of its provisions. Be that as it may, we do not wish to enter upon the arena of the security and safety measures when the police department and Home Ministry consider such exemption appropriate. The cases of the persons who have been provided with Z and Z+ security category may be considered by a Committee consisting of the Director General of Police/Commissioner of Police of the concerned State and the Home Secretary of that State/Centre. It will be for that Committee to examine such cases for grant of exemption in accordance with law and upon due application of mind. These certificates should be provided only in relation to official cars of VIPs/VVIPs, depending upon the category of security that such person has been awarded by the competent authority. The appropriate government is free to make any regulations that it may consider appropriate in this regard.

25. The competent officer of the traffic police or any other authorized person shall challan such vehicles for violating Rules 92 and 100 of the Rules with effect from the specified date and thereupon shall also remove the black films from the offending vehicles.

26. The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively. No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

27. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary, Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective States/Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction. The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from 4th May, 2012.

28. With the above directions, we partially allow this writ petition and prohibit use of black films of any percentage VLT upon the safety glasses, windscreens(front and rear) and side glasses. However, there shall be no order as to costs.
Hence, such a contention if put for any claims or relief before the competent court may result into a snowballing effect, with the applicant, the 3 M outlet and its principal viz. 3 M (manufacturer) drawing the court's ire.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th May 2020 at 18:29.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 18:23   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
That said, I would like to personally make a request - If you guys think it fit, I would like to request that you remove this thread from the news, hot topics and on Facebook.
We do not remove threads from public view once the grievance is resolved. However, we do update the thread title to reflect the resolution.
Gannu_1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 19:34   #34

Quote:
Update: Have been contacted by the 3M regional Manager and the franchisee owner made a personal visit to my house to apologize.
========
Thank you all for your time and comments and support! You guys ROCK!!

A brand as big it is, I believe would have become so with it’s right values systems. I have studied 3M for a long time and have seen how do they support customers. There are a few cases of disappointments though, but largely in my opinion the company listens and acts.

I remember a case on my car itself in 2018, new S Cross that I had got, I took it to 3M store and the kind of work that they did has been fabulous till now. I got acoustics, Sunfilm and PPF. And they still deliver to the expectations. And I still keep getting calls and maintenance tips from them.

I have also met Mr Rastogi in one of the store meets in Virugambakkam in Feb this year. He and there was one more gentleman who was the tech head of 3M are thorough with their intent and commitment to the customers . So if he is involved in this I have no doubt that the issue will get solved

However I have just one request that we all must insist on proper bills from the stores to get proper support. This not only holds true for 3M, but all other things too.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 00:30. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for replies, affects readability. Thanks.
aishtin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 21:57   #35
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Have been contacted by the 3M regional Manager and the franchisee owner made a personal visit to my house to apologize.

I got a call today from the franchise owner, Mr Raghu and he asked me for the details, and expressed his shock and regret. He said he had come across this post and made inquiries and would come and meet me personally.

Thank you all for your time and comments and support! You guys ROCK!!
Glad to know that your complaint has been resolved. However I am curious to know if automotive window films are allowed in India. I have not seen any dealer offering these since last few years after this was prohibited. I was also searching 3M India website & surprisingly could not find these in their product portfolio. Appreciate if anyone can throw light on this.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th May 2020 at 22:44. Reason: long post quoted has been trimmed.
Old 28th May 2020, 23:21   #36

It's good to know that they responded to your request promply. Simply, the power of T-BHP and social media. I attribute this "can get away" attitude to the thiruvanmiyur locality, which brings them tons of luxury cars, often brought in by rich folks go by their neighbor or driver's recommendation. Thanks to you, such measures will make them think twice before engaging in such malpractices.
Uppili_N55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 08:34   #37
BHPian

Terribly sorry for your experience. 3M is going downhill. Right from their franchise selection process which is deeply mired in nepotism to cheating by store workers. I think only a select few stores that I have seen are doing well only because the store owners take keen interest. A friend of mine recently shut down his store in Basaveshwar Nagar thanks to their really unreasonable policies.
vishwasvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 12:02   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The quality of 3M has indeed gone down, I can't even with 2 inches proximity, discern whether the car has been washed by 3M or by a local car washer with black water and torn rags, the car body wasn't smooth and free of dirt, same with wheels. When we complain they'll say the body needs advanced car treatment with claying, rubbing and polish to restore the surface.

I took up the challenge and instead used a high quality vanilla scented Shell car shampoo, and Shell microfibre cloth (both much cheaper and much more efficient than super high margin 3M products) , btw, took about 20 minutes since I used shampoo liberally and rinse-repeated twice, got a glass-type finish on the car body with good shine, topped it off with a thin layer of spray wax by Shell and it was gleaming.. 3M would've charged 8-9k rupees plus plus for the same, of course they'll remove swirls but our car has a very negligible amount of them. It was a good workout for me and all it took was elbow grease.

But I digress, in this case, I belive 99%of people who drop their car off at 3M centers, leave the car in the hands of the 3M folk, where it becomes, simply a matter of ethics, in the hands of 3M store people, what in business parlance we call "best practices", even I work in an industry where people rely on my best practices, and I've never shortchanged them, even if any shortchanging, as such, would not result in visibly decreased output, to the human eye, though it will significantly decrease longevity and quality of the final product. We must keep in mind that always, ethics and best practices should be at the core of a business, which in India is lacking in, should I say 999 out of 1000 businesses.

I have no doubt that 3M, like the authorised service stations, gyp people off big time. If you're getting any work done on your car at 3M, its best to sit on their heads and monitor each and every activity, fiddle with and inspect the product and clearly check for defects or shortchangings.

I know we can't generalize based on 2 or 3 bad experiences, but as things are, and given the delicate economic scenario, its becoming very, very, very hard to justify 3M products priced at platinum levels per gram.

Yes, any sort of sunfilm is illegal, so I won't mention that directly.

Last edited by dark.knight : 29th May 2020 at 12:05.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 16:20   #39
BHPian

I was a regular customer at 3M. I stopped using their services last 2 years, as I found it is not worth for the money spent.

I dont think the SC ruling is still followed, i see lot many cars with dark sun films on road, including that of police higher officials
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 14:10   #40
BHPian

I've been to a 3M outlet just once to get protective clear film put on the headlights of my F30 as I do a lot of highway driving. I'd say the work was okay. I was there the entire time watching them apply the film. The staff were friendly and did the best they could. The film applied does the job. But I don't think I'd use them for any detailing work. It's a pity because I really like their products.
Old 30th May 2020, 22:32   #41
BHPian

Don't be surprised if 3M Car Care is shut across the country. Their franchise owners are frustrated because they are not able to recover their investment. The company does not care because this is a very small revenue vertical to 3M. Some of the franchise owners have let go of the 3M name and have started their own brand. And lockdown made it even worse. I too had a lot of problems with 3M Car Care, they scratched my new car and windows while doing the PPF & Sunfilms.
adi58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 21:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
We do not remove threads from public view once the grievance is resolved. However, we do update the thread title to reflect the resolution.
Please do mark this thread as resolved.

The franchise owner has been in constant touch and been very obliging. He set a time for me to revisit the showroom and cleared every doubt I had personally.

I am willing to accept his explanation that there was a staff member of his who was of doubt, and he has been long fired. And he has assured that stuff like this wont happen again, and that he has since set strong protocols.

The service center does have high ratings over the years they have been in operation, and my issue was resolved quickly.

I got a call from the 3M area manager, and also form their technical head.
thirdmainroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:29   #43
BHPian

I've visited 3M care care in Chennai OMR for a wash, thrice (1 for enquiry, 2 for washes) Every time, the experience wasn't that smooth, and definitely not worth the premium I paid. First time, the guy there (not the manager) wanted badly to sell me some packages they had to offer, and was visibly upset when I wouldn't buy into their packages.

For the second visit (for a wash), they wanted to sell me their coupon book or something, which I actually bought. My bad that I didn't stay back to take a look into the wash been done (went to have chai ).

Third was the most irritating (I wouldn't have actually gone this time if not for the free wash coupon I had from the book last time). I had mentioned to the guy there (not Srikanth the manager, he was on leave or it was a Sunday, I don't actually recall) that I wanted the dealer sticker to be removed during the wash. He said he'd do that. I went for a chai and came back. Car was been washed, and I reminded him again about the dealer sticker, and he said he'll get it removed. Now the funny part:
  1. After the wash, one of the boys take the car out of the wash bay, plays around with the steering wheel while the vehicle was stationary, puts the AC on full blast, and I'm seeing all this with utter disbelief!
  2. Sticker is still intact, and I ask the first guy again. He tries taking it out with his fingers, and it leaves a mess there (I'd have preferred it been taken out while been shampooed!). He brings some scraper and creates an even bigger mess. Now, he says he'll have to use some 3M spray to get it off, for which I have to pay the boys some 'tip' (what?!). I said whatever, get that mess cleaned. He does that, and happily pockets the 100 (again visibly unhappy that I paid only 100!).

My heart goes out to the owners who entrust their vehicles with such shops. What's the point in paying a premium when the level of service is crappy or something that you cannot trust!.

* The manager Srikanth was a decent guy, and apologized for all of this, but again, what's the point?!
Old 10th June 2020, 22:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... To summarise, in about Feb 2019, when my WRV was a few months old, I went to 3M Thiruvanmiyur and paid Rs 29,000 to get Cr70 film installed on all windows and front and rear wind shield.
I feel bad for you.

But I have question in my mind- Were you Invoiced again for the Reinstallation of Film on Windows and Rear Windscreen?
You have mentioned in the 2nd quoted message
Quote:
Update:
They “reinstalled” the film yesterday on windows and rear. Invoice for that alone is almost 17,000 without tax.
Old 11th June 2020, 08:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
I can recommend Detailing Mafia Anna Nagar for ppf, cleaning, ceramic etc .
I think you were the one who suggested me Detailing Mafia for PPF for my rtr200. I got it done on March but I'm not satisfied with the quality at all. Many shortcomings.
1. Too many air bubbles which they removed by putting in a pinhole and in few places this pinhole is developing into a bubble again and peeling off
2. The sheet is cut with about 5mm short of all edges so there is no wrap over for 100% cover
3. Sides of the fuel tank cap was not filmed stating the sheet can't be curved (which I felt is acceptable but they only told when asked on delivery)
4. A small 4x4cm section was not filmed and when asked the person who sticks told "He was in a different world" and cut the section wrong it still is unfilmed
5. No invoice given and multiple follow-ups, calls, messages and at the end I gave up.

They may be good when a car/premium bike comes in but for my bike, I felt paying close to 9000 was not justified
vijai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed