Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2007, 17:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

here is a cleaner install of CF.....

Old 24th March 2007, 20:22   #17
BHPian

I third iraghva on Carbon Fibre. Carbon fiber reinforced plastic or (CFRP or CRP), is a very strong, light and expensive composite material. Similar to glass-reinforced plastic, which is sometimes simply called fiberglass, the composite material is commonly referred to by the name of its reinforcing fibers (carbon fiber). The major difference between glass-reinforced-plastic is that CFRP is very strong ...thats why the F1 car cockpit is fabricated using CFRP . The high cost of CFRP is because of:
* the high cost of raw materials
* The high labour cost required to manufacture weight-optimised components, which need careful draping and alignment of very thin (typically 0.4mm) layers with the thickness tailored to suit load distribution.
* Very high cycle times for both lay-up and resin curing, hence low production rates from each tool set. An example of this is the McLaren Fl, the structure of which is reported to have required well over 1,000 man-hours of skilled labour to mould the composite components.

rishibravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2007, 20:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
The high cost of CFRP is because of:
* the high cost of raw materials
* The high labour cost required to manufacture weight-optimised components, which need careful draping and alignment of very thin (typically 0.4mm) layers with the thickness tailored to suit load distribution.
* Very high cycle times for both lay-up and resin curing, hence low production rates from each tool set. An example of this is the McLaren Fl, the structure of which is reported to have required well over 1,000 man-hours of skilled labour to mould the composite components.

Well put Rishi! Let me add another point:
* It is also expensive because after laying the sheets in the shape desired it has to be baked in an autoclave which is a very expensive & time consuming process.

And Rishi did you know that certain suspension components of F1 cars are now also made in CF? Mainly due to its lightness & even then outstanding strength. Carbon composite brakes are also now offered on many road going high-performance cars.
Old 24th March 2007, 20:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well put Rishi! Let me add another point:
* It is also expensive because after laying the sheets in the shape desired it has to be baked in an autoclave which is a very expensive & time consuming process.

And Rishi did you know that certain suspension components of F1 cars are now also made in CF? Mainly due to its lightness & even then outstanding strength. Carbon composite brakes are also now offered on many road going high-performance cars.
Didnt know about the suspension components , But I do remember the top gear episode with Mr. Clarkson testing the Ferrari Enzo and he talked a lot about the carbon composite brakes and how you can touch them even after extensive braking (practically they dont get heated up at all) . I guess thats also one of the advantages. I am not sure whether the brake pads are also carbon composites or just the disc.
Old 25th March 2007, 11:11   #20
BHPian

low bass maker- which is the above car pic you posted?
Old 25th March 2007, 11:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

designation its an old civic.
Old 25th March 2007, 13:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

it was taken from another forum.....

Realm of Excursion: Forum - View Single Post - Post pix of your ride!

here is a few more from the same ride....

and yes it is a honda coupe....dont know if it is a civic...

and the exhaust look nice.....
Old 25th March 2007, 13:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
Dude i got a temporary fiber hood for my corsa for the speedrun 2007. It cost me just 2500 bucks and weighed less than a couple of kilos. The same guy does it for Hondas, esteems etc. He's charging me 8000 for a finished and painted fiber hood for my corsa.
While iraghava and others have made clear the difference between CF and simple fibre, what about :

1. can this simple fibre thing used to make doors and the boot as well ?? Can it be shaped exactly as the original doors ???

2. any particular cons / disadvantges / problems with using this simple fibre for bonnets, doors and the boot ??

I am asking this with respect to restoration work on older cars which are out of production now. So is this simple fibre thing a viable option ????

thanks,
hell_rider
Old 25th March 2007, 23:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
While iraghava and others have made clear the difference between CF and simple fibre, what about :

1. can this simple fibre thing used to make doors and the boot as well ?? Can it be shaped exactly as the original doors ???

2. any particular cons / disadvantges / problems with using this simple fibre for bonnets, doors and the boot ??

I am asking this with respect to restoration work on older cars which are out of production now. So is this simple fibre thing a viable option ????

thanks,
hell_rider
I think in the skillful hands simple fibre can do wonders. Making doors with simple fibre would be very much possible but would need a lot of precision and of course time. But the normal fibre is not strong enough . It can be used for the restoration purpose but wont it just defeat the whole purpose of restoration. I would not expect a 1951 Hudson Hornet to have a Fibre boot or 1927 Austin 7 Box saloon with fibre doors.
Old 26th March 2007, 03:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it should be possible but not sure if anybody's tried it. People make body kits in fibre but not sure about full body parts. I assume surface finishing might be an issue since it would not be as good or consistent as metal.

Quote:
I don't think fibre has the rigidity or the strength to replace metal for body components. Plus again I'm not sure whether you'll be able to work out a consistent cavity for the door mechanism & window to go through into. Door pads will be another challange to get right.

Quote:
I think a better option would be to get the metal bits restored from a good body shop which is quite successful if the worker is skilled. But talk to some experts who are skilled in working on fibre, they might be able to help you out.

Here is a fibre bonnet I saw at the Speedrun, no idea why it was kept like this. My guess is that it was left unfinished for its lightness & overall weight reduction of the car.

Old 26th March 2007, 04:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Carbon fibre and fibre glass are two different things. A carbon fibre hood would be seriously expensive and not a practical approach.
Old 26th March 2007, 04:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

CF can also be laid in sheets and vacuum-pressed out. Rehaan did it for his seat. Kinda like fibreglass, but it's bloody tough to get the sheets or spools of CF, seeing as there are no yacht builders here.
Old 26th March 2007, 04:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

there is a boat builder and a car builder in Alibaug. Guido Bothe, who builds the Cinkara. If anyones interested, i could ask him for info.
Old 26th March 2007, 04:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, but I think he uses sheet metal and fibreglass. Haven't seen CF on any of his cars.
Old 10th January 2009, 06:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to buy the carbon fiber sheats that could be pasted on to the Hood? and if yes how much are they.

Most Viewed