Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2020, 15:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mounting a 100cc motorcycle to my SUV - Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Hi all,

I have a Pajero SFX. And by chance I came in possession of a CT100B as well. This event kindled a thought in my head, why not mount the motorcycle on the back of the SUV to use as a point of transport during extended roadtrips, especially to the mountains.
Something similar done by friend in Bombay. This setup can help you open the doors when bike is not loaded and free up spare tyre space

Mounting a 100cc motorcycle to my SUV - Opinions?-107386484_10164578554295713_1621924473893540542_n.jpg
Shubhendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 05:30   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Something similar done by friend in Bombay

Attachment 2030680
I am curious what kind of rto permissions are required to crater this kind of set up in india. I know even if you buy a d max initially some folks had to file declarations that they won’t use this for commercial transport for them to be able to register the car as a private car.

Any idea what people have done to ensure these setups in india street legal? Thanks.
Old 17th July 2020, 07:27   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I am curious what kind of rto permissions are required to crater this kind of set up in india. I know even if you buy a d max initially some folks had to file declarations that they won’t use this for commercial transport for them to be able to register the car as a private car.

Any idea what people have done to ensure these setups in india street legal? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that will depend on the mood of the officer you pass by with such vehicles My friend and I were on the way to a cycling trail once, and he had loaded his bicycle on the rear bicycle rack of his Brezza, which is quite a common modification for cyclists to transport their steeds out of town. A traffic cop flagged us down and penalized him under the clause 'Unauthorized alteration of vehicle' for 1000 INR or so, if I remember correctly. He was concerned about 1 - loaded bicycle partially obstructing visibility of the number plate, 2 - dangerous if the cycle falls off midway on an expressway due to incorrect mounting, etc and 3 - what if someone accidentally bangs the car from behind, the sharp bits of the cycle sticking out can injure the person more than a bald car surface would.

With modifications which jut out such as these and are even more permanent on the vehicle structure, I'm of the opinion one would be better off taking some kind of permission from the RTO if possible (not sure if that even exists). Right now, the only penalty for private vehicles is for carrying commercial goods in a private vehicle. Luggage roof racks are classified as legal, and in a big vehicle such as the Isuzu D-max, it should be fine to carry bikes as long as there is no protruding alteration and everything is swallowed by the OE 'boot'.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th July 2020 at 07:55. Reason: added some missing details
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:01   #19
BHPian

What specific permissions do we need to hitch a trailer to the back of a Suv? Is there any special driving licence needed for a trailer?
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 17:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

A lot of information on Trailers are available in this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...w-india-5.html (Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India)

Regards & Drive Safe
Old 28th July 2020, 18:04   #21
BHPian

If I had, had to do it, will try only on pickup like an Isuzu D Max V Cross with a proper loading bay and a custom gear to hold them no matter how I drive, safety first, something like the ones used on a flatbed. The bike(s) need to be worth it for sure.
Old 1st November 2021, 14:01   #22
BHPian

I have the same requirement just will be carrying much heavier motorcycle (Himalayan)
on a vehicle with relatively shorter wheelbase (Thar 2020).
I couldn't; find the max tow rating for That

There are two decent options for hitch receiver One from Swastik Fabs and One from Bat4x4
https://www.swastikfabs.com/index.ph...product_id=836 (couldn't find the link for the BAT4x4 one)

and one Carrier from AMX
http://www.amx4x4.com/Product/ProdDetails/125

The reason I have not made the purchase yet is , the motorcycle will be suspended at least 1-2 feet away from the tow hitch receiver (add another 6 inches at least from the chassis)
and in case of sudden bumps/speed bumps I am not sure what will be the impact.

In the Americas/Australia towing is a frequent use case and their vehicle come ready from factory for basic towing. On the other hand in ur market it is a niche use case in private vehicles.

If anyone is using this setup on their suv please guide.
ambarkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:03   #23
BHPian

Recently acquired a kx250f, being mulling over other v-cross alternatives for 2 reasons, its cost (25L) and length (5,295mm), the recent gurkha is very top on my list at the moment. The hitch receiver and carrier from AMX sounds perfect for my ocassional trail rides. Had also considered force trax, but the same problem of length 5120mm is not going to be practical for day-to-day rides.
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
...being mulling over other v-cross alternatives for 2 reasons, its cost (25L) and length (5,295mm), the recent gurkha is very top on my list at the moment..
Tata Xenon. Even better if you can get the 3L Dicor.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 19:42   #25
BHPian

I’ve been hoping to do this exact thing with my Himalayan on my Storme. But have not been able to fabricate or mount anything.

Eyeing the Gurkha as an option for my next car and it somehow looks like a very inviting match made in heaven
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 14:21   #26
BHPian

A Hero Xpulse 200 4v is the kind of motorcycle that is worth this trouble. I am working out getting this motorcycle and a large SUV like the Scorpio/Safari and either mounting the bike (with RTO permissions) or simply folding the seats and putting the bike in the car. Using the Xpulse in the mountains or some other off road place would be really something. Driving it to that mountain or off road territory will be the pain which the SUV will solve for.
Old 14th June 2022, 21:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
I am working out getting this motorcycle and a large SUV like the Scorpio/Safari and either mounting the bike (with RTO permissions) or simply folding the seats and putting the bike in the car.
Xpulse is tall and have a long wheelbase;both dimensions increase once you install rally kit. I don't think you can fit one inside a SUV without dropping suspension or removing wheels. I had analysed this for putting Xpulse inside Thar after removing front seat and height was a challenge. An impulse might fit much easier than an Xpulse.
I have installed a tow hitch receiver on my Thar and will be fabricating the carrier in a couple of months. The ones readily available in locally are either hugely overpriced or not widely used so couldn't take risk. Will post the result here once done with this project
Old 28th September 2022, 14:01   #28
BHPian

We built a rack for carrying a motorcycle in 5hours with input from bhpian Shubhendra.

Carried a Himalayan on a Thar for 2000kms it didn't give any problems. I'll post a detailed review in a separate thread.
Name:  thar.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  30.9 KB

Mounting a 100cc motorcycle to my SUV - Opinions?-thar2.jpg
ambarkhan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks