Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2007, 08:31   #1

Minor Engine upgrades for Zen Lxi (suggestions plz)

hey guyz i just bought a zen 2005 lxi.i was just wondering what i could pro'lly do with it. i 'd really appreciate it if you guyz can suggest me .and please do tell me about any parts or things that i can import from abroad.

thnx
gaurav
Old 24th March 2007, 12:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

how much u wanna spend on engine upgrade
Old 24th March 2007, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whats your budget??
Also search around many threads are there on zen modification.....
Old 24th March 2007, 17:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

ya first your budget and everthing else later.....
Old 24th March 2007, 19:33   #5
elf
BANNED

Do the standard stuff first -
Wide alloys & thicker tyres, low restriction exhaust, cold air intake, uprated plugs & wires. That should cost you upto about 40K. Then worry about the rest if you feel necessary.

In the event that you don't know what any of these are, search the forum. I'm sure you'll find enough information with indicative prices & contacts everywhere.

All the best.
Old 24th March 2007, 22:12   #6

what is a low restriction exhaust anyways?
Old 24th March 2007, 22:15   #7

hey elf can you tell me the exact model and make of the performance filter that i can fit on a zen. because i am coming down to india in april so that i can try to look for it here
Old 25th March 2007, 13:14   #8
elf
BANNED

jatt_ambersaria: A low restriction exhaust is also commonly known as a "free flow exhaust", where the exhaust gases emanating from your engine flow unrestricted (ideally), or with a low amount of restriction (actually), to the tip of your tailpipe. To ensure a smooth flow, customised pipes are fabricated for your particular car & model, keeping the characteristics of gas flow in mind. It also involves the removal of your catalytic converter & redesign / removal of your muffler / expansion chambers for the same reason.

As far as your intake system is concerned, I don't know, & I'm not about to run a search on the forum for the information. Although you should.

You will get answers.
Old 25th March 2007, 13:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatt_ambersaria View Post
because i am coming down to india in april so that i can try to look for it here
hey man sorry to ask you like this in your profile you have written amritsar...and in the above post you are writting coming down to india in april....
Old 25th March 2007, 22:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatt_ambersaria View Post
hey guyz i just bought a zen 2005 lxi.i was just wondering what i could pro'lly do with it. i 'd really appreciate it if you guyz can suggest me .and please do tell me about any parts or things that i can import from abroad.

thnx
gaurav
If you want to save some bucks you can get a K&N filter (either stock or conical whichever suits you)...Get a set or 4 iridium tipped spark plugs and spitfire wires. This much you can easily fit in your luggage. you cant possibly get a muffler of your choice if you want. All other performance stuff is available here (like Free Flow Exhaust )..you just have to get in touch with the right people here....Happy importing or should I say carrying extra baggage
Old 25th March 2007, 23:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
If you want to save some bucks you can get a K&N filter (either stock or conical whichever suits you)...Get a set or 4 iridium tipped spark plugs and spitfire wires. This much you can easily fit in your luggage. you cant possibly get a muffler of your choice if you want. All other performance stuff is available here (like Free Flow Exhaust )..you just have to get in touch with the right people here....Happy importing or should I say carrying extra baggage
Spitifer wires Can you pls throw some light on this. i already have ngk irirdium plugs . how much of a difference will these wires make?
Old 26th March 2007, 07:14   #12

buddy! i can leave everything else behind to take this stuff for my car. thanks alot for the suggestion rishi. i ll post some pictures on as sson as i get there.
Old 26th March 2007, 09:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay View Post
Spitifer wires Can you pls throw some light on this. i already have ngk irirdium plugs . how much of a difference will these wires make?
Spitfire is one of the many performance ignition system wires. There are other good brands also available in the market. I dont know a quantitative figure about the increase in performance but its supposed to supply your iridium plugs with uninterrupted power supply (better than the conventional ones)
Old 14th April 2007, 02:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Get a set or 4 iridium tipped spark plugs and spitfire wires.

what you talking about maan ?
no way.. stick to OE plugs and wires they are good enough for stock cars .. seriously do you think they are going to make a difference ?
where you getting this information from anway and misleading other Bhpians ????
Old 14th April 2007, 02:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post

what you talking about maan ?
no way.. stick to OE plugs and wires they are good enough for stock cars .. seriously do you think they are going to make a difference ?
I couldnt understand why you used the words "stock cars" . Where should one use the Iridium tipped spark plugs then...may be on su-30 engines (no pun intended)

I agree that spark plugs can't increase the potential power that an engine can generate...... but a more efficient spark will provide more efficient combustion and associated performance and economy benefits....
A poor spark from a worn out or low grade spark plug (OEMs arent the best in quality...In India they have to make things cheaper maan...may be things are different in US of A) will reduce efficiency. An Iridium plug will produce a more efficient spark . Due to the properties of Iridium, the spark plugs centre electrode can be made with a much smaller diameter than with platinum, Gold or gold palladium and copper/nickel types without sacrificing service life.... The spark plugs potential difference is more concentrated at the tiny Iridium tip and hence less 'spark jump' voltage is required - this can be as much as 5,000 volts less than with OEM plug types. Ignition is improved and less strain is placed on the ignition system. Benefits of improved ignition/combustion include better fuel economy, increased power/acceleration and especially better throttle response.

now coming to wires....
Good set of plug wires are just as important to ignition performance as the spark plugs.... The wires carry high voltage from the ignition coil to the spark plugs... Each wire has a conductive core surrounded by a layer of insulation...The type of insulation used in a plug wire is important. Premium wire sets typically use silicone or EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) insulation which offers higher temperature resistance than Hypalon or other materials (which I think is needed when one likes to push their STOCK cars to their limit). Some premium wire sets also have a protective outer covering of EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate). EVA provides thermal protection to over 400 degrees and has a tensile strength 200 percent higher than silicone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Relax maan... No one posts here to mislead

Most Viewed