Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2007, 13:36   #1
BHPian

Restoration work - Spare parts

Since there are a number of threads on here with respect to restoration work on older cars, I wanted to know the issues with sourcing spare parts.

for e.g. restoring a orignal dukkar fiat or even a contessa, what is the spare part availability like ??? are there aftermarket third party options for all spares ??? Or does one need to do hunting around for long periods ???

For e.g. (correct me if I am wrong), even though a contessa is much more recent as compared to a dukkar, i believe spares are no longer manufactured by HM. so how does one deal with this kind of situation during a restoration initiative ???
Old 25th March 2007, 13:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

For some cars, parts are made by third party manufacturers. However if this is not available one can get parts from a scrapped car or a place like chor bazaar which also get the parts from scrapped cars. for some cars there is also some amount of left over stock of spare parts which are brand new though this is more difficult to get hold of.

Last edited by khanak : 25th March 2007 at 13:48.
Old 25th March 2007, 15:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
Since there are a number of threads on here with respect to restoration work on older cars, I wanted to know the issues with sourcing spare parts.

for e.g. restoring a orignal dukkar fiat or even a contessa, what is the spare part availability like ??? are there aftermarket third party options for all spares ??? Or does one need to do hunting around for long periods ???

For e.g. (correct me if I am wrong), even though a contessa is much more recent as compared to a dukkar, i believe spares are no longer manufactured by HM. so how does one deal with this kind of situation during a restoration initiative ???
chor bazar zindabad!!
Old 25th March 2007, 16:59   #4
BHPian

dudes...

i know of chor bazaar. I was emphasizing on availability of *all* spare parts and effort required to procure the same.
Old 26th March 2007, 00:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dudes...

i know of chor bazaar. I was emphasizing on availability of *all* spare parts and effort required to procure the same.
You get a lot of parts in Chor Bazaar but if theres something that you cant find but need you can always import it from an stockist abroad or fabricate it yourself.

btw do you plan on restoring something? or was this just a general question?
Old 26th March 2007, 01:30   #6
BHPian

khanak......

I have been toying with the idea of either a dukkar fiat or a conty. but have not come across an available specimen yet.
Old 26th March 2007, 03:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dudes...

Dude, you will get anything of a conti in chor bazar and a lot of stuff for a dukkar too. Trust me
Old 26th March 2007, 11:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

ALL mechanical spares for the dukkar will be available brand new, (a small amount of spares might not be OG factory items, but repros...) Just ask around for guys who stock Fiat spares in Opera ouse or something like that...it might not be as simple as a regular modern car, but certainly not difficult at all.

As for cosmetics, its a totally different story. Very few items are available new, (taillight lenses and side trims are available in pune), so usually theres a bit of modification required, depending on the level you want to restore the car to...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks