Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 18:05   #1
BHPian

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)

In my constant endeavour to try different products this time I set my eyes on Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

Why Sonax BSD?
-I watch a lot of comparison videos for detailing products and then try one of those at my leisure.
-BSD has come up multiple times in most of those videos.
-Strangely the comparison was being done with products which are priced almost double than BSD which caught my attention.
- I had recently tried 2 of their products(Sonax Xtreme Wheel Cleaner,Sonax Xtreme Matt Effect)and was really amazed by the results.

PLEASE NOTE I am no where associated with the brand and all the views are of my own.
Members are free to disagree/correct me if i am wrong

Price
790 Inr for a 750 ML bottle.
Other packaging is a 5 Litre can mostly targeted at detailers.

Look/Touch/Smell
Its a viscous blue colored liquid which has a sweet coconut fragrance.

Availability
Amazon.in
CarpowerGrid.com

How is it Different
-Going by the name its just like any other Quick detailer in the market.
-Thats where most of the folks are mistaken.
-Its a Spray sealent marketed as a Quick detailer.
-The USP is the gloss & the tighter beads which it produces.

Test subject
-Hyundai Creta 2019(White)
-Vehicle has been coated with Max Protect UK around an year back.
-Last top coat refresh was on 18th May,20 using Carpro HydrO2 spray sealent.
-The top coat is performing well but the gloss is missing(Typical with White Color)

Dilution Ratios
-This is where the product shines.
-You simply cannot spray the product undiluted . It will be a nightmare.Trust me.
-It simply wont spread evenly and will cause streaking.
-For my application I diluted it 1:2 (Product : Water) which brought down its viscosity to a level where it can be evenly applied.
-For my test I used 70 Ml of product which gave me 210 ML of total solution to use.

Process Followed
1.The Vehicle was washed with a PH neutral shampoo.
2.Vehicle was dried thoroughly using a drying towel.
3.Sprayed the product on panel generously and some on a microfiber towel to spread evenly.
4.Buffed the panel with a buffing towel to a nice gloss.
5.Alternate option is to spray it while the vehicle is wet followed by drying & buffing .
6.I chose the former to ensure uniform application of product.

DISCLAIMER
-This product doesnt offer any smoothness to the paint unlike other products which is a negative.
-However this can be achieved by mixing it with other products like v7 but its not available in India.

How easy is the application?
-Its a spray on buff off product.
-It took 20 minutes to cover the whole vehicle.

How economical
-You would be surprised that the whole vehicle was covered with 150 Ml of solution.
-For Calculation 50 Ml product per use will give you 750/50 = 15 applications/ bottle.
-Depending on how frequently you use it should last 1-1.5 years easily.
-790 for 1.5 years is a good number IMHO.

Protection
-Being a Sealent the purpose is to offer protection and 1-1.5 months is a reasonable expectation.
-I will be testing it to see how long it lasts in our conditions.

Gloss & Beading
-The gloss certainly gets a considerable bump post application.
-I could not capture the beading improvement but it seems to have improved for sure.

Overall Impressions
-Purpose of using this product was purely to get the pop effect on white paint and i am satisfied with it.
-I am not bothered about the protection as the vehicle is already coated but based on the reviews it does offer some.
-To test the durability and longevity I will only do a rinseless wash for the next month or so UNLESS the vehicle gets solied during rains.
Even then it would be a good test to see how the BSD reacts to the elements of nature.
-I will also test with 1:1 ratio to see if that offers more gloss.

Few clicks for viewing pleasure.

Please note all the photos were taken in the basement as it was cloudy ouside.
Attached Thumbnails
Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200721_051245.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200721_051216.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200810_131345.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200810_213203.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_110609.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_165325.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_084304.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_084811.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_084518.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_083940-1.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_084816.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105831.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105842.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105819.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105939.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105422.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105430.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105445.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105454.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105506.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105519.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105529.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105546.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105558.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105616.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105624.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105640.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105730.jpg  

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-20200811_105745.jpg  

Artyom is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 23:06   #2
BHPian

re: Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
In my constant endeavour to try different products this time I set my eyes on Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

Dilution Ratios
-This is where the product shines.
-You simply cannot spray the product undiluted . It will be a nightmare.Trust me.
-It simply wont spread evenly and will cause streaking.
-For my application I diluted it 1:2 (Product : Water) which brought down its viscosity to a level where it can be evenly applied.
-For my test I used 70 Ml of product which gave me 210 ML of total solution to use.
I got this product some time back but could never actually warm up to it. I think the issue in my case was Dilution only. Thank you for sharing this.

I shall surely give this a try again with the Dilution ratio you mentioned.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 23:34   #3
BHPian

re: Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I shall surely give this a try again with the Dilution ratio you mentioned.
Infact I even tried with a ratio of 1:3 and it worked but 1:2 will be a more reasonable number which can give us noticable gloss and protection.

Do let me know how did it go.
Artyom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 13:11   #4
BHPian

Re: Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)

I also bought the Sonax BSD from Amazon a few months ago, and have used twice since then. I would like to add that I've used it without any dilution, any yes, there are a lot of streaks.

But the protection it provides is phenomenal. Before this I was using the Formula 1 Carnauba Wax and it did provide a warm finish to the paint, but wasn't long lasting. Also I found, that in comparison to the BSD it attracted a lot more dirt. And within two-three weeks it would require reapplying.

But with BSD it's different. There is a lot less dust attracted to the paint now, the Jopasu duster doesn't requires more than three passes for the roof(required 4 passes for the Formula 1), and water beading is very good. I was able to dry my complete car with just one microfiber after coming from a drive in the rains whereas, earlier it took me more than three microfibers.

I've also applied it on the glass of my car and let me advise you to not to do so. The wipers started juddering, whereas the rear wiper wasn't able to wipe the rear glass completely. Note that I've changed my wipers recently so that could also be the cause of the problems. As for the door's glass, it did quite well.

It also provides very good protection. The birds poop which would earlier leave a orange coloured spot on the paint (if i cleaned it after a day), was now unable to leave any spot even after sitting on the paint for three days.

But as soon as I washed it with 3M's car shampoo, the water beading reduced to a great extent. I'm clueless about this. 3M does mention that it is a pH neutral shampoo but cannot find anything which claims that it is safe for wax/sealents. I don't know if other members face similar problems. I think from next time I'll be buying Sonax car shampoo.

Also note above mentioned points have been penned down after using the product for 1-1.5 months. After applying the product, the car wasn't washed for the same duration. Only a Jopasu duster was used to remove the dirt.

I would also like to add some photos of my dad's bike and my scooter with this product applied.

This is how it looks without any product. No water beading.

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-img_20200602_132330.jpg

And this is with Sonax BSD full strength, i.e without any dilution.

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-img_20200602_132217.jpg

And this is with 1:4 dilution on my scooter.

Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-img_20200602_132151.jpg
abhi9044 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 14:35   #5
BHPian

Re: Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)

Quote:
-Being a Sealent the purpose is to offer protection and 1-1.5 months is a reasonable expectation.
-I will be testing it to see how long it lasts in our conditions.
Why did you go with this, because in my opinion The Turtle wax Ice seal and shine is way superior, and with the turtle wax brand launched just a few months ago, availability and price isn't an issue.
The product from Turtle wax offers 6 months protection, although reviews say it lasts longer. Also, it has crazy chemical resistance. Doesn't wear off even with continuous washes.
Gloss/Protection in disguise at the cost of peanuts | Sonax BSD | Ratio (1:2)-1596426422174.jpg

I have just purchased it and have a neutral opinion. This is my first time using a sealant. I have a fair bit of experience with waxes. I have liked traditional waxes over spray waxes, because of the gloss and durability. However, I think, sealants can't replace the old school wax because of the crazy shine they provide. The best one till date was the formula one carnauba paste wax. Applying is however a tedious job. Sealants almost does nothing (saying after my turtle wax experience). Water beading and sheathing is however good, what isn't is the slickness. Previously with my car waxed, I could remove even a dried up bird poop by simply pouring water from a bottle. Not the case with a sealant only.
I'll be applying the meguiars mirror glaze wax on top of it for that finish.
ron82x3 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 15:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post
Why did you go with this, because in my opinion The Turtle wax Ice seal and shine is way superior, and with the turtle wax brand launched just a few months ago, availability and price isn't an issue.
The product from Turtle wax offers 6 months protection, although reviews say it lasts longer. Also, it has crazy chemical resistance. Doesn't wear off even with continuous washes.
Attachment 2043544
BSD is more economical than Turtle wax.
I mean it can be diluted and all so lasts longer per bottle.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 15:46   #7
BHPian

@abhi9044 You can use Sonax Gloss shampoo(Golden colour one) as its a PH neutral shampoo.I was using that before using the Gyeon one.It lasted me good 2.5 years for a 1 litre bottle.3M shampoo in my opinion is PH balanced shampoo and not PH neutral.
Artyom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 16:59   #8
BHPian

In my limited experience have found Proklear SFC to be a good PH neutral shampoo. I only have two buckets and sometimes a manual sprayer, after a wash it feels like a layer is there. Formula 1 wash & wax left me asking for more hence shifted to this after a friend's suggestion.
Extremely satisfied with Sonax Xtreme Glass Cleaner.
Need suggestion to boost gloss though, have been postponing purchase because of rain.
arindam.dino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 19:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam.dino View Post
Extremely satisfied with Sonax Xtreme Glass Cleaner.
Need suggestion to boost gloss though, have been postponing purchase because of rain.
If you are looking for gloss then BSD is an awesome product in my opinion. Post washing while the paint is wet just spray BSD diluted 1:2 onto the body (Except Glass) and then dry the vehicle. Once the paint is dry just buff off for a glossy finish.

I am yet to try 1:1 ratio but even with 1:2 it provides an amazing gloss and if the colour is anything else than white then you are in for a treat.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 13:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
@abhi9044 You can use Sonax Gloss shampoo(Golden colour one) as its a PH neutral shampoo.I was using that before using the Gyeon one.It lasted me good 2.5 years for a 1 litre bottle.3M shampoo in my opinion is PH balanced shampoo and not PH neutral.
Surely I'll be trying the Sonax Shampoo next time. By the way how is the Gyeon Bathe? Also have you used Gyeon Bathe+?
abhi9044 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 15:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
By the way how is the Gyeon Bathe? Also have you used Gyeon Bathe+?
Gyeon Bathe is a Ph Neutral shampoo which will not leave any residue and is purely for cleaning purpose.Good for coated vehicles to cleanse the paint.I am very much satisfied with it.15-20ml /wash and 1 bottle of 400 ml should give you roughly 20 to 25 washes.

Bathe+ on the other hand has additional SiO2 content which layers the vehicle with Si02 and offers instant hydrophobicity and protection just with a wash.I am planning to try Bathe+ once the current bottle of Bathe is over.

Last edited by Artyom : 17th August 2020 at 15:11.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 10:22   #12
BHPian

Yesterday had to go out for some work and on the way, it started raining.
The car was not too dirty per se but since it will be taken out after a week due to my shift thought of washing it.
Glad to report that BSD is holding good although its been just a week since the application and it's too early to pass a verdict.
But its always good to see the beading which is still at a boss level.
Attached Images

Artyom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 07:19   #13
BHPian

Guess Team BHP made it famous. It's out of stock everywhere. Only a 5 litre can option available at one place! Buying links please.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:15   #14
BHPian

Carpowergrid.com has sonax bsd available.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Guess Team BHP made it famous. It's out of stock everywhere. Only a 5 litre can option available at one place! Buying links please.

Carpowergrid is the authorised distributor for Sonax.Better order directly from them.
Artyom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks