Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2007, 19:06   #1
BHPian

Car Carpets

I am planning to change the carpet for my car... any ideas.. how one should go about the change... i was thinking of adding the foam under the carpet for a more cushioned effect.. how is it.. if anyone has tried it... and what should be the cost for the total. for a saloon car...
Old 28th March 2007, 00:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Adding foam under the carpet? Does not sound like a good idea to me. One... it may prove very uncomfortable to drive. When you need quick reflex, say sudden braking etc you tend to push against the floor to raise your foot quickly on to the pedal. If the push causes your foot to sink in instead of providing the lift it could be dangerous.

Also, how thick a foam? It may raise the floor level vis-a-vis the seat and make the seating geometry very uncomfortable.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2007, 00:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont think a layer of PU or that stuff that is generally used for carpeting office floors is going to do anything bad. In fact, i beleive it will further insulate the sounds from outside.
Old 28th March 2007, 10:41   #4
elf
BANNED

I had all my seats & carpeting removed & installed a sheet of medium thickness Heatlon (a heat-resistant, semi-sound deadening foam used in the airconditioning & automobile industries) in my old Esteem. Worked decently enough (reduced sound, better insulation) for the price - about a thousand bucks including labour.

You get even thicker varieties of Heatlon these days.
elf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2007, 10:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Foam will deteriorate. Heatlon is better. Butyl Rubber based sound deading matterial is still better.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2007, 11:01   #6
BHPian

Use Pu Foam Insulation With Carpet

Dear Invincible,

May i know which car are you talking about, it is generally suggested to relace the carpet from OEM one bcoz, they are optimally designed & insulated too, but many indian models dont have insulation.

If insulation is not provided with OEM spare carpet then you can use, PU FAOM SHEETS NOT MORE THAN 30mm IN THICKNESS, if you want to use other materials make sure that MATERIAL IS FIRE RETARDENT & SHOULD NOT PRODUCE NOXIOUS FUMES IN CASE OF HEATING/CHARRING.

safe cheap & easily available is PU(same material as A/C insulation, alternate material can be glasswool sheets sandwitched between, carfloor & carpet.

but still best solution is OEM spare carpet id it comes with insulation.

Arun
Old 28th March 2007, 18:04   #7
BHPian

I am talking wrt esteem....the carpet is old and has torn in some parts, was planning to get it changed.... went to the accesories shop and he gave me 2 options with foam carpetting 1200 bucks and without foam 800 bucks..
Old 28th March 2007, 19:58   #8
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Foam will deteriorate. Heatlon is better. Butyl Rubber based sound deading matterial is still better.
Where would an ordinary human being be able to source that from, navin?

And wouldn't so much rubber add to the heat in a parked vehicle?
Old 28th March 2007, 20:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well where will I find "Heatlon" ??
Old 28th March 2007, 22:31   #10
elf
BANNED

Heatlon can be found at most auto spare parts & accessory stores.

Simply ask for it by name, or say "HL" discreetly.
Old 29th March 2007, 09:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I am talking wrt esteem....the carpet is old and has torn in some parts, was planning to get it changed.... went to the accesories shop and he gave me 2 options with foam carpetting 1200 bucks and without foam 800 bucks..
If Insulated one for Rs1200/- is genuine maruti part, then go for it, esteem otherwise else is a silent car, so too much deading material is not required, also thick insulation means eating up of cabin space, although it will not be prominently noticeable but certainly it will affect the ergonomy, espeacially pedal reach.

So go for maruti genuine spare carpet with std insulation which would suffice the job.
Old 11th April 2011, 23:59   #12
BHPian

Re: Car Carpets

I want to replace the carpet in my maruti 800(200 model) as threads have started coming out and it has started tearing in many places. where can i get it done in chennai ??
Old 12th April 2011, 15:51   #13
BHPian

Where can i get the Vinly Carpetting done for my car in Mumbai, any information ?
Old 12th April 2011, 23:01   #14
BHPian

@sharma: By vinyl do u mean the stock felt/velvet type of material? or the lamination that is done over the existing carpets. If its the felt type then any seat cover/upholstery guy will make it for you, or you could get new ones from a good car spares shop. There is a shop by the name Krishna seats in Milan subway area, they are into seat covers but have seen them work on carpets as well. Do try him out as they are pretty reasonable for the quality they provide, FYI ive got my lancers and a cousins OHC seat covers from him.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:24   #15
BANNED

vinyl carpeting for lancers cost Rs.1500 -1750 in coimbatore, it is best, since cloth floor mat will trap dust and mud, and its tough to clean in rainy days, every upholsery shop will do vinyl carpeting, but you have to select which shop does neat and factory finish job.

They will normally, cover boot too. negotiate the cost of mat once you selected shop and color of mat.

@ ripper

what did the cost for lancer full vinyl mat

Last edited by rajivanoj : 13th April 2011 at 10:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks