Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 02:33   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
I built mine myself. Lopped off nearly 4 inches off my Lancer shifter. Cost me 200 bucks, including lathe time & arc welding.

But please note - you gotta do it right, else you'll end up with your gear lever in your hand in mid-corner at 150kmph someday...
and while you are at it , you could also chop off 1 cam from the DOHC and make it a SOHC to get a lighter engine for better torque.
Old 24th April 2007, 02:36   #17
elf
BANNED

No need to give unnecessary off-topic advice. I already have an SOHC engine.
Old 24th April 2007, 02:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
No need to give unnecessary off-topic advice. I already have an SOHC engine.
i was suggesting that you match your power level to your gearing so I was legally on the topic...
..then why dont you chop off the SOHC into half for better pickup to match your shortshifter

Last edited by chetanhanda : 24th April 2007 at 02:47.
Old 24th April 2007, 02:55   #19
elf
BANNED

Darling, we were'nt discussing my gearing at all. We were discussing the short throw shifter that moves the gears. So you ARE off topic.

Now go back quietly to your 25BHP thread & bother somebody else with your great knowlege about all things mechanical.

Like chopped off overhead camshafts.
Old 24th April 2007, 03:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok googleboy, at least credit the source you whacked your explanation from.
Here it is:
What is a Short Shifter
Oops. Was too busy juggling between this and the Silverstone Thread so forgot to credit it.

My Bad.

p.s.
Atleast I knew what a Short Shifter was. Partly because I plan to get a REAL one soon. Part of the Afterglow Project, you see.
Old 24th April 2007, 06:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Now go back quietly to your 25BHP thread & bother somebody else with your great knowlege about all things mechanical.
Like chopped off overhead camshafts.
Ouch, that was seriously hard !!
Elf you took it too seriously. , chill maan..
I thought you got the joke, werent you joking abt the short shifter ? I was along the same lines..

and abt the 25bhp thread..,why that unecessary remark ? did I bother you or someone directly else by starting that ?

Last edited by chetanhanda : 24th April 2007 at 06:41.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

I hear the short shifter thingy is available as a ready made bolt on thing possibly from F1 engineering (not sure), what may be the cost of this conversion?? Any numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 24th April 2007, 11:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Elfy dear, the problem in your type of humor is that one doesn't know when you're being sarcastic and when you really mean what you say

So, I am assuming you don't understand what a short-shifter (hereafter SS) is and explaining the following. Ofcourse, in case you already know, I am sure you will take my case in your typical style .. so just let me know in advance and i'll bend over in anticipation

It's pretty obvious that the desired effect of a short shifter is to reduce the distance your hand needs to move to engage the next gear, thus reducing the amount of time spent shifting, reducing wasted time between shifts, and resulting in improved performance. But, a common misconception which even I had till a while back is that a SS is just a chopped off version of the stock shifter.

In fact, chopping your shifter has no effect on the angle that your shifter shaft travels through between gears and therefore does not reduce the shifter's angular throw. A true SS decreases throw by reducing the angle that the shifter shaft travels through during its stroke between gears. Although, in many cases, the shifter shaft is also re-designed to be shorter than stock thus creating a sportier look and feel, as well as aiding in reducing the linear throw length when coupled with the reduced angular throw.

Technically, the geometry of a SS differs from the stock shifter in order to reduce the distance that the upper section where your shift knob threads on needs to move to achieve the same degree of movement in the lower section where the shift rod or shifter cables attach. This ensures that although your hand is moving a shorter distance, the transmission is still fully engaged in every gear. The main pivot point, or fulcrum of the shifter lever is re-positioned on the shaft in such a way that the lower section which connects to the shift rod or shifter cables is longer than stock, resulting in the desired effect.

Hope this clarifies.

great explanation ... now any one has any contacts ?
Old 24th April 2007, 11:51   #24
elf
BANNED

OK all you monkeys, here's my clarification.

Going by what I've done, when one reduces the height of the shifter, it does result in shorter throws, as the distance travelled by your hand between gears is greatly reduced. The angle between the throws stays constant, as you're not changing the degree of the lever arm from the fulcrum.

Accepted that what's been shown in the TSW link above also changes the degree of throw, thereby reducing the arm movement even further.

However, I still stand by the fact that I have built is a shorter than OE throw shifter, which reduces the movement of my hand between shifts.

Edit:
Also, I decided against changing the angle between the throws, as it would've required chopping the shaft from the base near the fulcrum & rewelding it, thus creating the potential for a dangerous situation as I've mentioned in my earlier posts. And no, at that time I didn't have access to facilities for CNC machining a cold rolled steel billet into a new shifter.

Last edited by elf : 24th April 2007 at 11:58.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:08   #25
elf
BANNED

Quote:
... So, I am assuming you don't understand what a short-shifter (hereafter SS) is and explaining the following. ...
Assumption is the mother of all ...?

Quote:
... so just let me know in advance and i'll bend over in anticipation
Quote:
... OK, the soap's been dropped. You know what to do.
Now go and get yourself a REAL shifter. I presume you know where to install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
... and abt the 25bhp thread..,why that unecessary remark ? did I bother you or someone directly else by starting that ?
Sure, chetan, you seriously bothered me starting that thread - I build & sell dubious home-made tuner parts & I'm losing business in light of the debunking of urban legends that you're doing there.

I just made my unnecessary remark in response to your unnecessary SOHC remark.

Now can we all get back to the thread at hand please?
Old 24th April 2007, 12:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I hear the short shifter thingy is available as a ready made bolt on thing possibly from F1 engineering (not sure), what may be the cost of this conversion?? Any numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks
If you mean N1 Engineering, then yes, they do sell a short shifter - will cost you between 2.5 & 2.7k. I think harman_bro is getting one installed in his lancer.
So you can in touch with the N1 folks... google their website. There are others, but I dunno the details myself.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:28   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Going by what I've done, when one reduces the height of the shifter, it does result in shorter throws, as the distance travelled by your hand between gears is greatly reduced. The angle between the throws stays constant, as you're not changing the degree of the lever arm from the fulcrum.

Accepted that what's been shown in the TSW link above also changes the degree of throw, thereby reducing the arm movement even further.

However, I still stand by the fact that I have built is a shorter than OE throw shifter, which reduces the movement of my hand between shifts.
Agreed. If you chop the gear stick, it will but obviously result in shorter distance to move your hand. Although angle is same if you reduce the length it will reduce. If anyone wants more explanation let me know, I shall draw a pic to explain.

Now will ya post ze picchars pleeeeeeeeez.

my only fear is the gear stick being too low.

ps: elfie i saw your garage and noticed the gear lever to be shorter, but it aint that clear as to how short.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th April 2007 at 12:30.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:34   #28
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Agreed. If you chop the gear stick, it will but obviously result in shorter distance to move your hand. Although angle is same if you reduce the length it will reduce. If anyone wants more explanation let me know, I shall draw a pic to explain. ...
Finally! A voice of reason amidst all the invectives. No wonder they made you a D-BHPian! I almost drew a picture too, but life called.

Quote:
... Now will ya post ze picchars pleeeeeeeeez. ...
There's already one snap in my gallery. Shall snap some more today & post here by tonight, time permitting.

Quote:
... my only fear is the gear stick being too low.
As anybody will tell you, it's not the length of your shaft, it's what you do with it. Mine was too long, hence I shortened it. Now I get less boring hand movement & more action.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Now can we all get back to the thread at hand please?
dude forget that 25 bhp thread, it was big mistake..

hey elf .. usually people prefer to move the position of the fulcrum/pivot in order to reduce the angle of the throw..and provide less effort on the shift linkage,
but in your case you have cut the length of the lever above the pivot .. dont you have to provide a little more effort..? hows the feel ?

Last edited by chetanhanda : 24th April 2007 at 12:59.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:59   #30
elf
BANNED

Moving the fulcrum upwards would need a complete refabrication of the gear lever, facility access to which I didn't have.

The feel's very mechanical, very non-rubbery, effort slightly on the higher side, but very 'connected' as I mentioned in one of my PMs to another member. All in all, I now feel I'm driving a car, not a BEST bus. The OE shifter was huuuuuge!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks