Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 13:02   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Moving the fulcrum upwards would need a complete refabrication of the gear lever, facility access to which I didn't have.

The feel's very mechanical, very non-rubbery, effort slightly on the higher side, but very 'connected' as I mentioned in one of my PMs to another member. All in all, I now feel I'm driving a car, not a BEST bus. The OE shifter was huuuuuge!
wow chopping off 4 inches made such a big diff..
Old 24th April 2007, 13:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As anybody will tell you, it's not the length of your shaft, it's what you do with it. Mine was too long, hence I shortened it. Now I get less boring hand movement & more action.
ROFL!!!!!

PS: This post has nothing whatsover to do with a Short shifter. I am writing this post script because I had to fill in at least 20 chars!
Old 24th April 2007, 13:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
As anybody will tell you, it's not the length of your shaft, it's what you do with it. Mine was too long, hence I shortened it. Now I get less boring hand movement & more action.
That's Vintage elf in action.
Old 24th April 2007, 22:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Moving the fulcrum upwards would need a complete refabrication of the gear lever, facility access to which I didn't have.

The feel's very mechanical, very non-rubbery, effort slightly on the higher side, but very 'connected' as I mentioned in one of my PMs to another member. All in all, I now feel I'm driving a car, not a BEST bus. The OE shifter was huuuuuge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
wow chopping off 4 inches made such a big diff..
isnt that too much of an exaggeration.. chopping of 4 inches is equivalent to simply holding the lever close to the base of the gear lever and applying more effort.
why do people buy short shifter kits if simply chopping off the lever makes it a short shifter.
I know you didnt have access to facility but dont exaggerate so much also even when you know its not the real thing.

the taught and precise feel of a short shifter is sometimes due to the extra weight added to reduce the effort in the lever action, also they also come with newer bushings which reduce the rubbery feel also...chopping of 4 inches is not a real short shifter kit

elf slow down and plz dont make any personal remarks this time..
Quote:
Now go back quietly to your 25BHP thread & bother somebody else with your great knowlege about all things mechanical.

Last edited by chetanhanda : 24th April 2007 at 22:18.
Old 24th April 2007, 22:36   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
isnt that too much of an exaggeration.. chopping of 4 inches is equivalent to simply holding the lever close to the base of the gear lever and applying more effort.
why do people why short shifter kits if simply chopping off the lever makes it a short shifter.
I know you didnt have access to facility but dont exaggerate so much also even when you know its not the real thing.

the taught and precise feel of a short shifter is due to the extra weight added to reduce the effort in the lever action, also they also come with newer bushings which reduce the rubery feel also...chopping of 4 inches is not a real short shifter kit
he may not be exaggerating. I think theres a better way to ask. If you notice a few posts back i asked him if he has really chopped of the stick cause i dint believe him. have you seen the lancer gear stick here. It's huge. the length from the base part popping out of the console is like 6-7inches. It has a long throw and it's very high up.

Also, he has clearly mentioned he chopped of nearly 4".

Pls' go to his gallery and have a look. you can see the shroud wrapped around tightly since the stick is chopped.

And the Lancer's gear is very slick and smooth so the effort increase may not be much.
Old 24th April 2007, 23:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Ok googleboy, at least credit the source you whacked your explanation from.
Here it is:
What is a Short Shifter

OK, the soap's been dropped. You know what to do.
ROFL...

I have been to that link before. That explains well.

@Manveet, you could have posted the gifs from that link man, it really does the work...
Old 24th April 2007, 23:40   #37
BHPian

@chetan: I think you were pretty clear on what you had to convey in the 31st post itself....

Quote:
why do people buy short shifter kits if simply chopping off the lever makes it a short shifter.
There can be multiple reasons why people go in for the above technique. Availability of an SSK is just one reason. If chopping the gear lever is a step closer to SS, then thats that at least right??

Even putting a shorter dia steering wheel does the same thing. No body ever told that chopping of the lever makes an SS, but chopping the lever does the work for elf and thats what he wrote...

Why dont you actually try this "holding the lever close to the base of the gear lever and applying more effort" and see if it makes any difference to you ??
Old 25th April 2007, 00:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Apart from reducing the throw of the hand, the SS also shortens the shifting mechanism internally.

for e.g. a friend of mine has a custom built SS on his OHC that translates to a hand shift of only 0.75" from say neutral to 1st gear.
Old 25th April 2007, 01:43   #39
elf
BANNED

Hey chetan, open invitation the next time you're down - come drive my car. Drive a stock Indian 1.5L Lancer first. Apart from the shortened gearshift, nothing else has been done to the transmission. Absolutely nothing. Yet.

Then we'll yakk. And either you or I will go home with a black eye. And the both of us will go home very drunk.

For the rest of you guys who stood up for me today, I would like to thank you. And buy you a drink at the chetanhanda meet.
Old 25th April 2007, 03:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hey chetan, open invitation the next time you're down - come drive my car. Drive a stock Indian 1.5L Lancer first. Apart from the shortened gearshift, nothing else has been done to the transmission. Absolutely nothing. Yet.

Then we'll yakk. And either you or I will go home with a black eye. And the both of us will go home very drunk.

For the rest of you guys who stood up for me today, I would like to thank you. And buy you a drink at the chetanhanda meet.
I like that response ..sure dude.
I liked the drunk part better , man you sure have lots of people standing up for you..
Old 27th April 2007, 14:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

The series of "interesting dialouges" has inpired me to get the stickshift of my lancer "pruned" to atlest 3" less than stock & then make an "informed " comment on the debate ........As I cannot afford to buy a short shifter after having spent what I did re-doing the Lancer........ He he he he !!!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th April 2007 at 14:51.
Old 27th April 2007, 22:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The series of "interesting dialouges" has inpired me to get the stickshift of my lancer "pruned" to atlest 3" less than stock & then make an "informed " comment on the debate ........As I cannot afford to buy a short shifter after having spent what I did re-doing the Lancer........ He he he he !!!

Cheers
dude ur signature says redlining at 3500 RPM, what do you drive ?
an aircraft carrier ?
seriously, just curious how come u redlining so low? Is your ECU running in "limp home" mode or something ? MIL on or something ?
Old 27th April 2007, 22:53   #43
Team-BHP Support

chetan, he's just had his entire engine rebuilt and overhauled so he's taking it easy and running-in all his new parts. more details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post406780

ps:he's not online so thought i'll post.
Old 27th April 2007, 23:08   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey chetan, open invitation the next time you're down - come drive my car.

Quote:
I like that response ..sure dude.
I liked the drunk part better , man you sure have lots of people standing up for you..
Great - nice to see the cross of the short shifts. I'm confident that a clear verdict will be reached after this meet with chethanhanda properly testing elf's stick.
Old 28th April 2007, 00:34   #45
elf
BANNED

Shortened shaft, Maggie. It was huuuge earlier. Now stop drooling & behave yourself. It's smaller by four inches.

Snaps were clicked a coupla days ago, shall upload them tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks