Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2007, 16:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of the "Shortened Gear Shift".Picasa Web Albums - Rakesh - Instrument Cl...
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:44   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Here is a picture of the "Shortened Gear Shift".Picasa Web Albums - Rakesh - Instrument Cl...

The cluster looks very cool Ricky. Could post pictures of the led bulbs as well? And how did you manage to have the LEDs fixed in the stock bulb slot?
Old 21st June 2007, 06:51   #78
BHPian

Got the Short Shifter fixed in the car

Guys,

I got the Short Shifter from Speed Works in Chennai, a performance shop maintained by JD Madan. I got it installed yesterday and I have a problem. The shift through gears is very very unpleasant. I have to really push very hard to the right to move to 1st and the 2nd gear. Iam easily pushed to the third gear when i try to shift to 1 and when trying to second I really need to push very very hard here too otherwise Iam pushed to 4th gear. What do I do. Where I must have gone wrong with the installation.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3...shifterse9.jpg

Find the picture of the stock shifter and the short shifter side by side on the link given below.

Thanks
Old 21st June 2007, 14:54   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
Guys,

I got the Short Shifter from Speed Works in Chennai, a performance shop maintained by JD Madan. I got it installed yesterday and I have a problem. The shift through gears is very very unpleasant. I have to really push very hard to the right to move to 1st and the 2nd gear. Iam easily pushed to the third gear when i try to shift to 1 and when trying to second I really need to push very very hard here too otherwise Iam pushed to 4th gear. What do I do. Where I must have gone wrong with the installation.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3...shifterse9.jpg

Find the picture of the stock shifter and the short shifter side by side on the link given below.

Thanks
Did you talk to JD about it? I bought the same thing you did from him. Yet to fit it in my car though. He told me that it takes a while to 'free up', and advised using some lubricant/grease while fitting it. Since both of you are based in Chennai you could have him check the installation for u.
Not sure there are too many ways to do the installation... unlikely that you screwed up. Try greasing... see if that helps.
Let us know how its behaving.

Last edited by razor4077 : 21st June 2007 at 14:59.
Old 21st June 2007, 15:19   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Did you talk to JD about it? I bought the same thing you did from him. Yet to fit it in my car though. He told me that it takes a while to 'free up', and advised using some lubricant/grease while fitting it. Since both of you are based in Chennai you could have him check the installation for u.
Not sure there are too many ways to do the installation... unlikely that you screwed up. Try greasing... see if that helps.
Let us know how its behaving.

Razor,
I just mailed him sometime back, lets see what he has to say about it. Otherwise I had greased them very well while installation but still the problem
persist.
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:49   #81
BHPian

I've hired a new driver who's just 4 feet tall. And he shifts quite efficiently. Now that's my new short shifter.

Last edited by adman77 : 22nd June 2007 at 10:50.
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

@harmon: what's the update on the short shifter? things get any better?
Old 15th July 2007, 09:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
@harmon: what's the update on the short shifter? things get any better?
Hey Razor,

The shifter is working much better now... Its a lot smoother than what it was when I got it installed. You can't expect anything smoother than the stock shifter though. I kinda got used to the throw, looking for another lancer with stock shifter to understand how much of a difference is done.

Guys, you should have a look at this really.... Our cars gears are not controlled by cables but I guess all the VW cars are.... Have a look at this excellent engineering to reduce the throw of the shift.

Video:

Product:
EIP Tuning Short Shifts- VW R32 - VR6, 16V, 8V, G60, Mitsubishi Starion, Conquest

- MotorHeader

Last edited by harmon_bro : 15th July 2007 at 09:36.
Old 15th July 2007, 12:03   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post

Guys, you should have a look at this really.... Our cars gears are not controlled by cables but I guess all the VW cars are.... Have a look at this excellent engineering to reduce the throw of the shift.

In fact, I was looking for a short shift kit for my Corsa, but most of the tuners in Mumbai told me that it's gonna be difficult cause the corsa's gears are controlled by cables. I don't know how true it is though,
Old 15th July 2007, 12:22   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
In fact, I was looking for a short shift kit for my Corsa, but most of the tuners in Mumbai told me that it's gonna be difficult cause the corsa's gears are controlled by cables. I don't know how true it is though,

If it is cable then, I would suggest you mail eip performance tuner and check if they can help you with a kit like the one they have developed for the VW.
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:24   #86
BHPian

Guys any place in Bangalore where i can get the short shifter??

Most Viewed