Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 11:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend

No air fresheners for any of my cars till date. I simply don't like any kind of artificial smell inside my cars.

However, I have at times thrown orange peels in the open boot area and let them be there for few days and to an extent that has been a good experience with the natural fragrance.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:48   #32
BANNED

I used to use when I was a smoker and then occasionally. To be honest, I never liked them while I used it. I stopped altogether when the liquid from Godrej Aer leaked and damaged the coating of the air vent . I have vouched I won’t ever try them again.
Old 25th September 2020, 13:03   #33
BHPian

We have an existing thread (How does your car smell) where lot of options are suggested by bhpians.

I have used My Shaldan Lime, Lemon and Orange in past.
The citrus fragrances are refreshing, sometimes powerful in monsoons.
They may last upto 45 days during monsoon and winters - if parked in shade. In Summers they have lasted from 15 days to 25 days.

Another option used is Godrej Aer - Gel based car perfumes. They have been okay. Lasting is similar to My Shaldan.

From my experience, the car has natural smell if no perfume is used. If it is kept clean and no eating is done inside car, it will emit no odor.
Keeping carpets and mats cleaned is essential. Making sure no moisture is inside car goes long way in car's health and smell.

Thanks to all bhpians for recommending charcoal based air purifiers.
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
+1.
I wish someone bottled the new car smell. It will sell like hot cakes!!
I think Miniso had a fragrance called new car or something. I have used it in my Brezza. The fragrance is decent, although it doesn't last very long. Goes off in 15-20 days. Comes in a tin like Glade, but it is not gel-based. The fragrance is added to a cube made of jute/hemp fibres or something. I am not finding it anywhere anymore.
Edit: I now use a natural vanilla based car spray from Auroville. Its subtle, not over the top.

Last edited by Chinmay : 25th September 2020 at 13:30. Reason: Added text.
Chinmay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:45   #35
BHPian

I've tried multiple air freshners but found camphor to be one of the most soothing aromas.
One has to be careful in placing it so as not to expose it directly to sunlight. Used it for 2 years and quite enjoyed it.
shyamg28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:02   #36

Hi Guys,

First post on the forum, so pardon any infringes I might be making.

I have been a silent beneficiary if this forum for some time now and would like to extend my deep gratitude to the mods for having this site up and running and to all the contributors who are, there is no other way to put it, an incredible pool of knowledge for all things ‘vehicle’.

This seemed to be a post that I can contribute to, so here goes:

I live in Delhi and we have to tackle a whole myriad of odours and smells in the city. Having tried various kinds of car fresheners ranging from Ambipure, Godrej, My Tone Grace, Miniso, the free insurance renewals ones, and god only knows what all from the FNM shop.

I have come to the conclusion that chemical car fresheners are not going to cut it for me as I didn’t like the heavy after effect. As rightly put by a chemical engineer bhpian, they only mask fragrances.

My advice... Go natural.

I have tried, with great success, the following three alternatives:
  1. Hanging Tea Bags – They are excellent in adsorbing all extra odours and leave the car in a neutral state of smell. I am a smoker and they help with that too.
  2. Coffee Beans – Perfect for a hint of freshness. Surely will wake you up. Place beans in a glass jar and put it in the car [preferably in the middle with some draft of air over the jar]. Or one can hang the beans in a used tea bag once the above option has been used up.
  3. Baking Soda and Essential Oils [Hang cloth bag or glass jar]– These are perfect for absorbing heavy odours and taking care of the dampness during monsoons or foggy winter mornings. Essential oils to help bring some freshness in the car.
I will recommend trying at least one of these options out. I think it should work in your case as well.

Hope you all have a lovely day as I am feeling great about finally not being a leech on this forum.
vm27 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:08   #37
BHPian

Stuff that I used

1) Ambipur - too strong. Fragrance is ok for 10-15 mins. After that, the nose gets into some equilibrium with the smell.
Before you enter the vehicle, if you were to leave the door open for a while, the immediate surroundings also smell of it.
Started getting headaches on long drives and realized this was the culprit. In 2007, one bottle leaked and corroded the plastics under the vent. That was the end of liquids in my cars.

2) My Shaldan - Love the subtleness of the lemony scent. Too weak after a point of time and very expensive.

3) Glade - Shorter tubs than My Shaldan, but similar scents. And way cheaper. Glade products give me a headache. Might've used 2-3 tubs.

4) Godrej Aer - Same as Ambipur, just that the fragrances are different. Liked the gel concept instead of liquid. The after smoke works well, to its word. But it's too weak after a few days. Turning on the heat for a couple of mins, excites the gel - good dose after the smoke.

5) Some middle eastern aromas in fancy tubs with lids, brought by friends and family - Reminded me of the Cressida taxis with carpeted dashboards in the 80's and early 90's. Yalla Habibi!

6) Hanging card fresheners - Weak after a few days. But no complaints.

Been off these for a while now. Being a smoker, I now keep a (7) Godrej Aer After Smoke can in the seat back pocket (away from the sun). One or two very short spritzs after the smoke and open windows neutralizes the smoke smell to a large extent.

If I weren't a smoker, wouldn't be using any of these. Usually, I crack the windows to allow fresh air - have visors for this purpose. If there's mold like smell developing (during lockdown), I clean the interior and put it out in the sun for a few hours for a couple of days.

Ambassador taxi drivers used agarbathis (incense sticks; on a holder) or fresh flowers. Enjoyed being in those spaces, as a kid.
carrerastrax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm27 View Post
Hi Guys,
[*]Coffee Beans – Perfect for a hint of freshness. Surely will wake you up. Place beans in a glass jar and put it in the car [preferably in the middle with some draft of air over the jar]. Or one can hang the beans in a used tea bag once the above option has been used up.
This is actually effective for repelling odors. Whenever I go to buy my beans from a nearby shop, the car smells like a coffee shop, which I don't mind at all.
This practice is also followed by perfume sellers to neutralize your sense of smell after testing any perfume. Works in a smelly fridge too.
Also, my wife is into aromatherapy, and thus, essential oils are also used often, although I don't find the time to pick a cotton ball, spray essential oil on it, and keep it somewhere!
Chinmay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:27   #39
BHPian

We only use car spray perfumes and only usually in monsoon or after a chain of long drives as the car tends to get a bit smelly due to eating and all by the relatives inside the car.
The only car freshener we have in our EcoSport was given by the showroom guys itself and it is non clipping type so it sits above sync screen's cover (2013 make car). I just loved it's original smell, though we had to change the refill twice we were not able to get the same fragrance at all but it's still good anyways. IMO the best practice to retain the new car smell is to avoid using any type of dashboard polishes or seat cleaners, just a regular wipe with a clean cloth is enough until it's too dirty or something has spilled.
Old 25th September 2020, 14:33   #40
BHPian

I've been using Godrej Aer pouches for a long time now. These are super cheap and the different fragrances smell really nice too. Used to have the liquid based ones but stopped using them since the day the spilled liquid melted a small part of my dashboard.
Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend-images.jpeg
TaurusSHO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:47   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
I've been using Godrej Aer pouches for a long time now. These are super cheap and the different fragrances smell really nice too. Used to have the liquid based ones but stopped using them since the day the spilled liquid melted a small part of my dashboard.
Attachment 2059053
These are an economical alternate and I have tried them as well. But my grouse with them is the very heavy chemical presence and also the inconsistency. They are supremely over-powering [almost nauseating] for the first 10 days and then start fading away at an exponential rate.
vm27 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 15:28   #42
BHPian

Here's what I do: when outside the urban area, fill up with fresh air and close the windows. Try never to open windows within polluted city limits. Of course, this is of little help once you open the doors and get out, but this has been my strategy for some time now.

I tried a few air fresheners, but I can barely detect the fragrance after a while, but I can smell the solvent, especially if my car has been in the sun. For a while I used Old Spice (Original) as I found it better and cheaper than air fresheners; I would spray it every time I felt like it.

Decided air fresheners did nothing for me, so stopped using them. I might try essential oils as some have suggested or even some coffee powder.

Great thread by the way!
Old 25th September 2020, 16:08   #43
BHPian

I have tried many over the years and now I have stick to "My Shaldan (Lemon)". It is both convenient and works for me with respect to placement. I place it in cup holder or space underneath arm rest. The fragrance lasts for about 1.5 to 2 months. Car feels fresh when doors are opened in the morning. And then the scent kind of settles down so that it does not bother you anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend-myshaldan.jpg  

Old 25th September 2020, 16:41   #44
BHPian

I would highly recommend the RITUAL perfume. Though the availability in India May be a challenge & they’re expensive.
https://www.rituals.com/en-nl/perfume/car-perfume

They last really long, the best part they’re gel based. One cartridge lasts over 1-2 months on regular usage (drive to work & back)
Offered in multiple flavours.
The holder itself is really soothing to look at.
I happened to be gifted from my nephew from Germany when I got my new car 😊
Old 25th September 2020, 17:12   #45
BHPian

Good thread

I prefer using MyShaldan car air freshner.

Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend-9c47821bcdd74e7dba2426a6f475c949.jpeg

This is because unlike the perfumes that have to be clicked on the vent, this can sit in your cup holder and work it’s charm.

The other reason is that it is relatively in greater quantity as compared to others in the same price range.

Godrej Twist perfumes are also good as they’re basically gel so won’t be destroying your car and come with 3M double sided tape so stick to the dashboard nicely. These however are slightly more expensive compared to MyShaldan and the fragrance is slightly less intense.

Pro tip : When the MyShaldan slows at dispensing the fragrance, simply hold it to the AC vents and watch it spread throughout the car as it is gel based as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks