Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 11:44   #1
BHPian

Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend

I know we already have a thread by the name of How does your car smell?

But still I thought of starting this thread as in that thread the members have discussed their opinions about the products they have used whether they are good or bad.

But with this thread we can know which air freshners are the best.

Request MODS to delete this thread in case they find it inappropriate.

The list of the best air freshners as per my experience is as follows: -
  • Areon Wish
  • Areon Black Crystal
  • My Tone Grace the green one when they used to be genuine
  • Godrej Aer Bright Tangy Delight
  • Involve One Citrus had heard great things about it but my experience was average at best

Really looking forward to others opinions and then try the new ones suggested by other members.

Last edited by sv97 : 24th September 2020 at 11:48.
sv97 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:02   #2
BHPian

re: Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend

Nothing beats the new car small and unless its polluted by smell from some grade of floor mats (must be avoided) its best to smell your new car feel for as long as you can without the influence of an external fragrance. Remember, there are lot of debates on the use of air freshener since they are blamed of releasing toxins like formaldehyde that has long term health effects including causing cancer.

On my way from Ooty to Coimbatore, I saw our cab driver buying a small garland of Jasmine / Jui buds from street hawkers. The moment he wrapped it around the IRVM, the entire car became fragrant in a matter of seconds, and till date its probably the best natural external car fragrance in my opinion. Recommend everyone to try this out if you get a chance.

I personally avoid using liquid ones like Ambipure based on some previous mishaps caused by the car cleaner guy ending up spilling over the liquid chemical all over dash. Also I do not like the design of clipping something to the air vents as these tend to reduce the vent direction movement flexibility to a large extent.

I am using currently Involve and I am happy with the MUSK fragrance. If I am in sudden need of turning up the fragrance, I simply hold the fibre cake in front of the air vent for a few seconds and get the job done. This way I make sure it is not obtrusive unless I want it to be.

I would have like to try PURGGO since they claim a 365 days lasting performance, but I did not like their headrest hanging concept considering it will be within the curious reach of our kid, and this applies for those air vent clipped options too.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2020 at 19:13. Reason: As requested
haisaikat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:40   #3
BHPian

I've tried both Ambipur and Godrej Aer car air fresheners which clip on to the ac vents, liked the mild fragrance which was effective only when the aircon was on. The main downside was the liquid tends to leak whenever I remove it from the aircon vent during vehicle service or a refill for the freshener and also one cannot adjust the air vent when these are clipped on to them.

I am currently using the Little trees Black Ice which has a bold fragrance (subjective), the packaging should be torn very little or else the fragrance becomes too strong. I was surprised that it lasted almost two months for a cardboard freshener.

I also keep a handy Chemical Guys Honeydew spray in the door pocket for long drives.
adityarobb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have tried most of the car air freshners and what I have observed is the fragrance lasts only till the aircon is on. And in larger cars the fragrance is almost nil.
After using many many brands, I can conclude that Areon products are one of the best. What I prefer is the Areon car prefume. I repeat perfume, not the gel. The only downside is that you have to spray every now and then. So if I spray today evening, it easily lasts till next day.

Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend-screenshot_20200924160248_amazon.jpg

Link: https://www.amazon.in/Areon-Gold-Per...ar+air&sr=8-12

‐‐-------------------------------------------------

After recommendation from a friend, I tried Meguiars car odour eliminator (one time use) and the wonderful freshness lasts for 2 months or so. Although on the costly side, it does the job well if the correct manufacturer's procedure is followed.
In fact I like all the Meguiars products including the Gold class leather conditioner.

For the odour eliminator, they have different flavors - Citrus, Sweet summer, and one more.

Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend-screenshot_20200924160631_amazon.jpg

Link: https://www.amazon.in/2-5-oz-Citrus-...j%3AEliminator

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 24th September 2020 at 16:21.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:59   #5
BHPian

Has anyone tried the activated charcoal bags in their cars? I am intrigued by the fact that this is non chemical based hence non toxic. This also claims to absorb odours, harmful pollutants and moisture.
Shrey_1520 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 17:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey_1520 View Post
Has anyone tried the activated charcoal bags in their cars? I am intrigued by the fact that this is non chemical based hence non toxic. This also claims to absorb odours, harmful pollutants and moisture.
I have tried Dr. Charcoal and it works to a certain extent. Only thing is you need to hang it somewhere. Secondly they have to be recharged every now and then in sunlight and the life of the bag is about 1 year. It's hard to tell 100% that it actually does the job.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Nothing beats the new car small
+1.
I wish someone bottled the new car smell. It will sell like hot cakes!!

I am no big fan of anything stuck in the A/c vents either. My last purifier was the one I purchased at my local petrol pump. It was a small glass container inside a lathe turned wooden piece. It had a cord which was to be used to hang it on the RVM. The swinging motion would release micro quantities of purifier fluid in the air. It was vanilla and I found it quite refreshing.
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 19:22   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend

My cars had Ambi Pur back when I was a smoker. Since I quit however, I prefer not to have any air freshener at all. I prefer the car's natural smell from the air-conditioner, leathers et all, or the perfume that me / the lady are wearing .
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 19:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since I quit however, I prefer not to have any air freshener at all. I prefer the car's natural smell from the air-conditioner, leathers et all, or the perfume that me / the lady are wearing .
Fair enough. But how do you tackle the dampness in the monsoons. Even if you use the air in recirculation mode, there will be some stale odour.
Old 24th September 2020, 20:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
After using many many brands, I can conclude that Areon products are one of the best. What I prefer is the Areon car prefume. I repeat perfume, not the gel.
Which fragnances in the Areon perfume would you recommend apart from the Gold one which you have posted the link for.

And can you please describe what is the kind of smell in case of Gold?

Like its musky or citrus etc.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 20:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Of course someone made the new car smell. Its available in Singapore and at ACE dubai. I used it once or twice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
+1. I wish someone bottled the new car smell. It will sell like hot cakes!!
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 20:31   #12
BHPian

I tried many car fragrances, but they are often too strong and block the vent. I use a packet of odonil or some similar solid camphor based product and keep it inside the door pockets. In case you have a smelly car (carrying aromatic food etc) you can hold the odonil packet near the vent and start the AC at the highest blower speed and in the fresh air mode for around 2 minutes. The car will smell fresh again.

Also, this is much cheaper compared to other options.
Old 24th September 2020, 21:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Which fragnances in the Areon perfume would you recommend apart from the Gold one which you have posted the link for.

And can you please describe what is the kind of smell in case of Gold?

Like its musky or citrus etc.
I am referring to the Areon Gold, the same one that I have shared above.
The perfume is available in silver, gold and platinum. For me Gold is the best. Its not citrus, but more like strong men's perfume and remains in the car for long. Can't exactly describe it.
The Fragrance of any product is a personal choice, however it is strong and remains in the car for longer than other similar products. Try it.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 24th September 2020 at 21:44.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 21:48   #14
BHPian

I won't recommend air fresheners. This might sound a bit orthodox but I am really wary of them.

There are different types of air fresheners. IMO, the adsorbent types such as activated charcoals are just but a hoax. The air filtration types may be OK for cars that don't have cabin air filter which is very unlikely in modern cars. The ozone types claim unproven benefits and instead could cause respiratory problems.

Being a chemical engineer, let me emphasize here, the most common "masking type" airfreshener have very strong solvents. In there are proven carcinogens and mutagens. Have you ever noticed, if the liquid inside airreshener spills or oozes out, it can dissolve plastics on it's way, even it's own bottle wrapper stands no chance. Now imagine what would happen to our lungs that get a constant dose.

To further add salt to injury, they can catch fire

So the only air freshener I would recommend is "fresh air". Masking is not a solution, figure out what is causing the stink so you may mitigate a bigger threat. If at all a pleasant fragrance is demanded, we always have the all safe old fashioned "flowers" and by that you might support a small vendor, a poor lady or a small farmer.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 24th September 2020 at 22:09.
Thermodynamics is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 22:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

I don't use any air freshner or car perfume as my kids and wife get a noseful for the bad and they feel nauseating with the aroma. Instead I use a natural product which is activated charcoal that comes in these boxes which keep the bad odour and moisture away. The product name is White Leaf natural absorbent and I've found it to be good. It needs replacement every 6 months. It comes in different shapes and available on amazon and flipkart.
https://dl.flipkart.com/dl/whiteleaf...oduct.share.pp

P.S : I'm not associated with the product in any way.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend-screenshot_20200924223900_gallery.jpg  

Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend-screenshot_20200924223835_gallery.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th September 2020 at 22:44.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks