Team-BHP - Remote Car Start
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Remote Car Start (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/22790-remote-car-start-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 404768)
Use this in India, and by the time you get to your car....someone else would have driven away in it. :D

I dont think so.. This came as a standard feature on my BMW in the US..
The vehicle will start but the doors remain locked.Also only the A/C controls can be accessed..
The same setup is also available for the Mercs.. See if you can get it. Very usefull. I am planning on getting on for My safari also.
Also you cannot drive away in the vehicle as there is no ignition key..

Godfather

Remote ignition is a must in Canada. It's operated by pressing the lock key followed by the circular arrow key pressed till the vehicle starts.

The remote ignition has internal timer, it can be used only in 2 sessions of 10 mins each. After that it must be reset by inserting the car keys into the starter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban (Post 407609)
The remote ignition has internal timer, it can be used only in 2 sessions of 10 mins each. After that it must be reset by inserting the car keys into the starter.

Hmmm..thats weird.. I never had this issue.. Is it specific to brands??
are you referring to aftermarket installations or the ones pre installed in the cars from manufacturers?

Godfather

it can be installed in manual transmission cars, i had it on my jeep. it did have to be left in neutral with handbrake on which was a problem as i parked on a slope which turns real icy during the really cold days :)
but getting into a warm car when its -40 C outside sure felt good

edit:yes car would turn off it not moved in 15mins, was an aftermaket system.

I'd purchased an after-market kit while in the US and installed it in my Honda Accord. Wasn't successful though. The engine would crank but wouldn't catch. After a lot of research I learnt that to prevent hot-wiring, the cars onboard computer sends a signal to the key in the ignition and if doesn't find the specific key of the car, it wouldn't allow the car to start! (What was amazing to learn is that the cars key has a digital signature embedded in it so leaving another key or metal strip in the ignition wouldn't work - great security feature.) Have brought the kit back to India and it would be nice to see if this would work on my 2003 Accord (AT) here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 407616)
Hmmm..thats weird.. I never had this issue.. Is it specific to brands??
are you referring to aftermarket installations or the ones pre installed in the cars from manufacturers?

Godfather

It's from standard factory fitment. I read about the 10 min timer in the manual of chevy Malibu, one of my rental cars in Canada. It said that was there as a security feature.

But the basic security feature is, you need to press lock and follow by remote ignition key,... which makes sure the car doors are locked.

Great feature but I have to agree with GTO on this one. Will be much too scared someone would have made away with my car by the time I get to it after remotely starting it. Prefer getting to the car, starting it, switching on the A/C leave the windows open for 3-4 minutes, roll them back up, and stand outside the car for another 3-4 minutes while it cools down.

However, out of curiousity I would love to know where in Bangalore I can get this system and how fool-proof it actually is. Any idea anyone?

Does this in any way impact warranty?