Team-BHP - Remote Car Start
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Remote Car Start (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/22790-remote-car-start.html)

I was in US last month and travelling in Michigan. Climate was quite cold and add to that wind chill factor. I went over to a friend's house for dinner and while we were leaving I braced myself to get into a cold car and spend the next 15 minutes shivering.
My friend had a Chevrolet Malibu and he started the car by remote and Heater was switched on automatically. Nice feature when you live in a cold place. I checked the way it works.
1. You can start the car by remote.
2. Only heater / AC switches on but not the ICE.
3. The car doors continue to remain locked.
4. You have to open the door separately by remote or using key.
5. Gear Lever (Automatic) cannot be engaged unless the key is inserted into the slot. (engine is still running)

Chevy gives this as a standard feature in many of its model. You also get kit to fit to your car ($150 apprx).

May be the same in India and run the AC for a little while before you step in.

its available in some units and have seen the same, dont know if its imported or indian brands

Hey this sounds to be a very useful feature especially in hot conditions in India.Turn the AC on before u step inside the car coooooooooool.
Wonder anybody providing this in India right now.
Plz anybody let me know if there is somebody who can install this.

such sets are available in India too since past 5-6 years...they work great on Auto tranny cars...incase if installed in manual cars, u need to keep the car in neutral if u intend to start it remotely...not a good practice though.

i had inquired for fitting it in my NHC CVT, but the technician didnt seem to be competant to fit it so....

Quote:

Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss (Post 404132)
i had inquired for fitting it in my NHC CVT, but the technician didnt seem to be competant to fit it so....

Please let me know if you find out a good technician in Bangalore for this. i have a NHC CVT as well and bangalore summer has been a scorcher so far. useful feature to have in a car.

I think silicon has this feature, costs around 8-10K with all the security features, maybe more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheeliej (Post 404314)
Please let me know if you find out a good technician in Bangalore for this. i have a NHC CVT as well and bangalore summer has been a scorcher so far. useful feature to have in a car.

Same here - even I have NHC CVT..will be following this thread to check whether there are such systems available in India!..and where to get them fitted !
-sr

Use this in India, and by the time you get to your car....someone else would have driven away in it. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheeliej (Post 404314)

The vandals would really love that too.

I had it on the Chevy Impala that I drove in US. But that was in 2004. However, I remember having a friend back in college (2001) who owned a Lancer SFXi which had this remote thingy. We had fun a couple of times with the care standing about 10 feet away (surrounder by people) and then starting it from the remote. He had it installed in Delhi.
Doesn't really help in India, except show off.

I have this installed it in my lancer for the last three years. It's from VISION. It's plagued with problems particularly the remote. I can remote start the car and switch on the A/C.

Should work well in cold countries to warm the passenger chamber (and also engine warmup) before one could get in and start driving.
In HOT conditions here in India... I doubt starting the the aircon that way would really help until you get the hot air thrown out of windows before actual cooling starts. It would take hours to cool the hot air inside the car.
I had read somewhere about a gadget which blows off the hot air out of car (do not remember if it is a remote actuauted or heat sensor), that gadget would run off the battery and also had a battery condition sensor which would shut the fans if batteru charge goes lower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subbu (Post 404080)
5. Gear Lever (Automatic) cannot be engaged unless the key is inserted into the slot. (engine is still running)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss (Post 404132)
if installed in manual cars, u need to keep the car in neutral if u intend to start it remotely...not a good practice though.

as far as i'm aware, remote car starters are available only for cars with automatic transmissions. i've shopped around but haven't found one for manual transmission equipped cars, yet.
my previous generation Land Rover Discovery had one installed and no doubts it was a boon both in summer & winter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss

most of them are simple DIY jobs. they come with decent instructions and don't require more than basic electrical knowledge to put together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 (Post 406477)
I have this installed it in my lancer for the last three years. It's from VISION. It's plagued with problems particularly the remote. I can remote start the car and switch on the A/C.

does your car have a manual transmission?

Can be done to manual transmissions too. You have to leave the car in neutral, though.

I have a similar system in my Swift. You can start the car with the remote and the ac(if its switched on in the first place) and can also open and close all the windows one by one with the remote.

Remote system is by Black Cat. Had paid 'bout 6500 bucks for it .

One needs to put the car in neutral and handbrake has to be engaged , for the car to start.
Not really recommended by surely works when you want to scare some one standing near your car.:)