Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2007, 09:18   #1
BHPian

Modifying a Toyota Corolla for achieving high pickup, speed

Hello,

I am a speed enthusiast & am considering buying a Toyota Corolla and getting it modified in a manner that sharply increases pick-up without too much drop in fuel efficiency.

I am looking for informations on the modifications that are possible & information on people / companies that can carry out these modifications in or near Mumbai. Some price indications would also be nice to have.

I am told that certain kits increase a cars BHP by a lot... I would be interested in knowing!

Regards,
Sandeep
Old 3rd April 2007, 09:46   #2
BHPian

You are planning to buy a new Corolla and start modding it ?

Well you can go for tons of performance mods . Check Karan561 Bhp Garage and get the idea of what all you can do.

1.)Start by putting a high performance air filter (Either K&N or Ractive ).
2.)Upgrage your spark Plugs to Iridium tipped ones.
3.)Go for a Free Flow exhauist (This most certainly will void warranty ...just in case you are planning to do it to a car under warranty)

All these mods increase the Horse Power .Upgrading filter and spark plugs give marginal increase ,But putting an Free flow gives significant increase. If doing this doesnt satisfy you then there are a lot of people here to help you create a Corolla on steroids
Old 3rd April 2007, 11:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
You are planning to buy a new Corolla and start modding it ?

Well you can go for tons of performance mods . Check Karan561 Bhp Garage and get the idea of what all you can do.

1.)Start by putting a high performance air filter (Either K&N or Ractive ).
2.)Upgrage your spark Plugs to Iridium tipped ones.
3.)Go for a Free Flow exhauist (This most certainly will void warranty ...just in case you are planning to do it to a car under warranty)

All these mods increase the Horse Power .Upgrading filter and spark plugs give marginal increase ,But putting an Free flow gives significant increase. If doing this doesnt satisfy you then there are a lot of people here to help you create a Corolla on steroids
I'm planning to buy a used car so that warranty issues are not involved.

Is Toyota a good buy considering my desire for speed, pickup or would you suggest another car?

Where can I find more information on Karan561 BHP garage?

Do you know anyone in Mumbai who can get me create a good car on steriods?

Thanks a ton for the quick reply!

Sandeep
Old 3rd April 2007, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sandeep.
If you want all out performance, IMHO nothing comes close to an Octy 1.8TPi. It delivers 147bhp in the stock form. And, the mods can be endless, from a mild 200Bhp remap to a wild 240Bhp.
In Mumbai, try Viper. He is a member of this forum.
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Check this for Karans gallery

And this as well Divens gallery.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by BUSA : 3rd April 2007 at 13:04.
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Hi Sandeep.
If you want all out performance, IMHO nothing comes close to an Octy 1.8TPi. It delivers 147bhp in the stock form. And, the mods can be endless, from a mild 200Bhp remap to a wild 240Bhp.
In Mumbai, try Viper. He is a member of this forum.
heh... yeah, Skoda Turbo Petrol rocks!

What fuel efficiency can be expected in the regular condition and after mods?

Is it true that this car is prohibitively expensive to maintain (spare parts)?

Thanks & cheers!
Old 3rd April 2007, 16:16   #7
BHPian

Hi
On the maintainance of the 1.8 octy.
Had it for nearly 1.5 years now, spend a total of 6000+6000+8000, on Servicing.
Spares: A rear view mirror costs you 7-8000Rs.(With the galss and the case, Heating etc..)
Front embelem: 820+tax
Rear spoiler: 16,000Rs.
Seat Belt front: 8000Rs.
Stock fron bumper: 12,000(non painted)

Now just how expensive it is to maintain is really up to you. My servicing has been with all Synthetic Oils and all at Skoda Centers.

My car regularly goes 200kmph on Mumbai-Pune Xps and so far it has been great...
Thanks...
This is Pune prices
Old 4th April 2007, 06:14   #8
BHPian

hey buddy the corolla overall is a very nice car its pretty quick,but not quick enough for a 1.8l engine besides that when your planning on building a fast car things like power to weight ratio etc etc have to be taken into consideration i would advise you to go in for a suzuki baleno which is a much better buy easy on maintanence decent on mileage 10-12 depending on how and where your driving and the g16b engine in the baleno responds amazingly well to engine mods as mentioned to you earlier you can start with the very basic's an aftermarket high flow air-intake system(pipercross),iridium tip spark plugs(ngk super9),a custom tuned length header 4x2x1(complete exhaust),high-density ignition wires(msd),then you venture into the machining process of the engine...port the throttle body,port-polish the head with a custom valve angle job,add a high lift camshaft(285 spec piper cam),an after-market clutch plate along with a balanced flywheel and if you still feel the need for more power you can go in for oversized injector's,ugraded fuel rail,high-pressure fuel pump,forged flat top racing piston's(ross) and to top it all off a direct port nitrous injection system this should make your car some serious race material also a piggy back or a standalone engine management system would do wonder's to the overall performance of the engine hope this cleared a few queries that you had cheers happy revvin..!!

Last edited by dragger : 4th April 2007 at 06:22. Reason: Added Info...!
Old 4th April 2007, 08:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
i would advise you to go in for a suzuki baleno which is a much better buy
Hi, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation & suggestions!

Baleno is a nice car , but I dont quite like its looks.

Any other cars you would recommend?
Old 4th April 2007, 10:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundeep View Post
heh... yeah, Skoda Turbo Petrol rocks!

What fuel efficiency can be expected in the regular condition and after mods?

Is it true that this car is prohibitively expensive to maintain (spare parts)?

Thanks & cheers!
The Octavia 1.8TPi really ROCKS!!
But, the less said about the FE is better. In Calcutta traffic, I get around 7-8Kpl with AC. But, if driven with a lighter foot, the car returns decent FE(not that I have tried). I have no idea what will happen after the mods, but I'm going for the mods anyway. Just waiting till my warranty expires.
I have been using this Octy for about 2 yrs now. Thankfully, all the expenses have been on regular servicing. Yes, some of the replacement parts are expensive. More so on the RS because of the Xenon lamps and other fancy stuff.
Hope this helps
Old 4th April 2007, 10:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
The Octavia 1.8TPi really ROCKS!!
But, the less said about the FE is better. In Calcutta traffic, I get around 7-8Kpl with AC. But, if driven with a lighter foot, the car returns decent FE(not that I have tried). I have no idea what will happen after the mods, but I'm going for the mods anyway. Just waiting till my warranty expires.
I have been using this Octy for about 2 yrs now. Thankfully, all the expenses have been on regular servicing. Yes, some of the replacement parts are expensive. More so on the RS because of the Xenon lamps and other fancy stuff.
Hope this helps
What about maintainence? Do you find it very expensive to maintain? How much do you spend on an average for maintainence - per year?

Thanks!
Old 4th April 2007, 19:07   #12
BHPian

If you are contemplating buying a used 1.8 Octy or the RS, make sure its clean. There are not many turbo-petrol Octys for resale. Also, check with an authorized service station, what is the cost of the next couple of services. The car requires a cam belt change after a certain kms (50-70k?) and thats expensive.
Bear in mind that, beyond a certain point of engine mods, you will also have to upgrade your clutch, brakes and suspension. In other words, serious money.
Old 11th April 2007, 02:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

well ... the OCTY TPI /RS sure does ROCK , but i would like to enlighten you on the fact that , the stock OCTY TPI being having 150 bhp , has an 0-100 accnln of 8.4 secs. and an average of not more than 5-6 in the city and 7-8 on the highway .
whereas the stock COROLLA is only 125 bhp ( NON TURBO) still manages a 0-100 of 9.1 secs , and giving a good mileage of about 9-10 (city) and 12-13 (highway) , after i have done up the car my average has hardly dropped by 1-1.5 kmpl , well but the OCTY is TURBO CHARGED baby ... so if u dont mind visiting the petrol pumps very frequently u can go in for the TPI ...
Old 11th April 2007, 02:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you buy an old 94-95 Civic? Comes really cheap, is pretty big, drives beautifully, and you can get 220 bhp for a price lower than a Corolla.
Old 11th April 2007, 09:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Why don't you buy an old 94-95 Civic? Comes really cheap, is pretty big, drives beautifully, and you can get 220 bhp for a price lower than a Corolla.
I dont want such an old car basically. :(

Surprised it came with 220 bhp stock & the new Corollas are much lesser -- very, very strange - does anyone know why?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks