Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2007, 09:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

OHC1.3 2001 redux

For starters, I didn't really know what section to post this under. Was considering "what car" actually, since that was the other choice, but posting here nevertheless.

If you'd rather just help out and not waste time, you can skip the first 2 long winded rambling sections and go straight to the "Plan and What-tos" bit

Background:
OHC1.3 (had looked around, drove the Ikon, Accent and decided to stretch the budget and go for this - lovvvved the way it revved and yet felt unstressed) bought in March 2001. 6 years, 2 kids, 50k kilometres and a bunch of scrapes and a couple of major dents later, the car has really aged, cosmetically i.e. People have asked about "why no change yet" but it seems too much of a loss to let her go. The market will pay nothing, and the engine has a lot left in it - feels as smooth as ever. Even the suspension's held up well tho the tyres feel tired and need to be retired.

Options/Decision: New car - big/small/van/diesel/petrol. Whichever way, means shelling out 3-5 more and more insurance costs etc. Limited runs - I use my bike a lot in the city, and the City for the highways - meant the extra paid for a diesel over my current car would never make sense (tho the Verna's driveability reports were mouth watering, and the Safari's space too). Being reasonably broke for the last 2 years, and doing some calculations quickly pointed to a makeover and a bunch of fixes to the current car being the wiser thing to do. It's still a good 90bhp, does a comfortable 120, is a fun car to drive, sounds awesome at 5500+ and fits the family just fine.

Plan and What-tos:
  • Paint job. She's a dark green, planning to shift to black. Would've loved red but I guess this is a cheaper option. Hoping the door,dash refits will also get the rattles fixed. Cost: 25-30k ?
  • Tyres + Alloys : Tubeless ? Wider ? Lower Profile (like better handling, ok with a slightly stiffer ride) ? unsure. 14"ers ? Advice pls. Cost : 30k ?
  • Audio: One of the front speakers went missing after a service - could never get that back. Also would want a CD player/changer. So probably need 2 speakers and the HU. Not a major audiophile but like my music - which varies from Simon/Garfunkel (yes i'm that old) to Gulzar stuff to Floyd to Def Leppard/Scorpions. Cost : 18-20k
  • Spoiler. How expensive are these. Aftermarket ones survive ? Cost : 10k ??
  • Windscreen - no major scratches, but a little fuzzy and lotsa small scratches. Buffing works ? Cost : 1.5k
  • Seats : get faux-leather ones ? Recommendations ? Cost : 15k ?
  • Bumpers : torn at a couple of places - need replacement. Cost : 15k
  • Security system : used to have thorn - the remotes are dead though the rest of it is ok, I suspect. Worth changing ? Would like a remote boot release too. Suggestions ? Cost : 6k
  • Misc : new headlamps, ?? Cost : 10k overall
Also, need suggestions on a good/affordable place to get all this stuff done. Honda svc places out because of the nature of work needed (primarily cosmetic) and their costs for the same. I have RAC koramangala in mind, but don't really know about alternatives.

Would love your take on costs for the above - I haven't really checked and this is based on what I've picked up on tbhp itself, as well as from friends. Not even sure if all of the above will happen at one shot - would like to spend not more than maybe 80-90k right away, and do the rest a little later. Would also like to know of what else you could suggest as part of the whole makeover. Did consider K&Ns but not convinced about their long term impact vs benefit so playing safe.

Waiting for inputs from this very informed community, and will post pix when work starts (probably in 2 weeks' time if the finances and choices work out).

Last edited by zenx : 3rd April 2007 at 09:49.
Old 3rd April 2007, 10:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sameer.... good to know that you have planned to get the city done i guess it makes sence... i pickedup pre-owned a 1.3 OHC sometime back...am pretty happy with it..
to answer few of your questions... i was thinking of getting a single coat paint job done for my city and it would hav costwed me around 15k for the same color..tinkering work to cost extra..
Recently got the tyres changed to Bridgestone Turanza's..185...instead of 175...am pretty happy with it... costed me 12k for 4 tyres....
Audio: you have plenty of options ..for around 12k you will have a decent set up but i will recommend you to get an amp and a sub fixed too...but will have to shell out about 10k more...
Spoiler... even am looking for a used one....10k is too much:(
Windscreen... buffing should be a good idea... but who does it in bangalore??? if you know anyone plaese let me know...even my cars WS needs buffing..
K&N am considering to get the performance(Conical) filter fitted... hav heard a lot about it..
Headlamps change should not cost you more then 6k??

anyway good luck...
Old 3rd April 2007, 10:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another member wanted to modify his OHC and a lot of mofications have been discussed in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...1-5-exi-8.html
Old 3rd April 2007, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton Adhish - very interesting thread. However I'm looking for less outspoken changes - in fact most aren't by way of mods but repairs. And of course, I'm looking for gyaan from tbhpians about those. The spoiler is the only show-mod bit - and probably the least conspicuous one a-la the OEM one - the alloys are since I'm planning to get tubeless tyres, and the paint job cause the car just desperately needs one now!
Old 3rd April 2007, 11:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

lohit, yeah am v happy with the car itself. Just that Blore's mauled it visually :(
15k for a single coat of paint!!! Hmmm, am worried now. I really want black/red.
I believe the windshield experts may be able to do something about it - not sure. The Turanaza's sound promising - are these tubeless ? What alloys did you get ? I'm factoring in about 18k for those.
Spoiler - true. Don't want anything flashy, but are used ones ok ?
You're right about the lamps - have kept a buffer for some other costs too.
Where were you considering getting the paint job done ?
Old 3rd April 2007, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Black is a fantastic colour on the OHC, but beware of even the smallest scratches standing out. Try to get the original spoiler, if available, yes it would certainly cost around 10k. Upgrade to 15" alloys if possible & 195/205 width.
Old 3rd April 2007, 22:59   #7
BHPian

Hey Zenx,

Good that you have decided to stick to your OHC. It might look old but when you drive it you can defenitely feel its young heart. Here's my two cents:

Paint Job: decide how you want your car to look..If you want it to be Simple, neat and stylish go for Black..If you want it to look sporty go for Red (passion red) or Black with Yellow stripes(have seen a swift in this combination..man it looks sexy). The alloys will be a must to keep up the Sporty look.

Tyres : Why not 15"ers? improves the look of the car. It might decrease the life of the suspension a bit but improves the handling..Just what you wanted.

Spoilers: I put the OEM look alikes for mine for 3.7K again the choice is yours if you want the car to look neat and simple go for the OEM Type II. For sporty look the GT style (twin blades) is the best. Dont go for cheap after market ones(You also get it for 1K here in chennai) as they may rattle after some time.

Seats : You should match witht he color of the car again.

Bumpers: Since your budget is 15K you can also think about searching for a good used one and spend the rest on minimal skirting on all the 4 sides of the car. Will work if you want to get a sporty look.

Misc : New headlamps?? Why are you changing and is yours a Type I or II. Im planning to change mine to type II clear ones. Will let you know about the cost and stuff in a week.

Happy Driving!!
Old 3rd April 2007, 23:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

You'll still get eaten by an Esteem, if performance is your forte. Me? I'd drop in a new engine.
Old 4th April 2007, 05:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

@v1p3r
Yep I would. But from what I've seen, its the driver and not the car on most highways. I'm comfortable doing 100-120 and often keep ahead of most traffic including Skodas and mercs, till a crazy no-holds-barred Omni zooms past when passing through a town or a convoy of truckies etc Yep, I want decent performance, which the 1.3 can still deliver, without being in race mode. Moreover, an engine change is too expensive considering my current budget/need.

@Navin
Thanks for the details! I did want red but I guess a complete change will push costs upwards of 40k. Black is my other red.
Spoilers - yes I quite like the OEM look. And am concerned about rattles etc from non OEM ones - any recos on what/how to pick.
Bumpers : how and why would you get used ones ? From ppl who've replaced it with kits ? Hmmm....again, where does one look ? Skirting - not priority - it bottoms out on some of the speedbreakers and backroads of namma Bengaluru anyways
15"" : often travel with 4/5 ppl - so thinking of 14". Is 18k a decent budget for alloys (4) ?
Lights : Its a type II, am just considering replacing/upgrading - not sure of options but this should be one of the easier changes.
Btw, saw your white City on the other thread and on http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569880 - very neat looking car. Any recent pix ?
Old 4th April 2007, 17:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Point taken. If you're out for 14" wheels, see if you can't find the OE Vtec rims. Very sweet things, those.
Old 4th April 2007, 20:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

zenx, yep there's something about these hondas that makes you feel you'll lose out eveytime you think of trading it in for something else.
My ohc has its fair share of dents etc, but i think i'm going to live all of those, have not been mostly satisfied with an aftermarket paintjob.

To your list now, i think you have assumed fairly high prices for each repair/accessory in your list.

Paintjob: From what i hear, 20-25K for a good paintjob, i would advice you to check with an authorised service center for the same though, they usually do the BETTER JOBS. I love that dark green though, and changing the colour of the car will affect the resale in future. Also, removing seats etc for painting the entire bodyshell and fitting the stuf back on seldom gives you the same finish.

Wheels and Tyres: about 12k for a set of 14" wheels (set of four), and 15-16K for 15" ones.
Tyres about 2900-3000 each

Audio: A good MP3 HU and a 'good' pair of speakers should not be anything over 10K.

Spoiler: O.E. or aftermarket ones should set you back by 3-4K depending on source, getting one from the Authorised service center guys would mostly be expensive.

Seats: PU/Imitation Leather seats should cost you in the range of 3.5-4K, these could get really hot in the summer though.

Bumpers & Headlamps: No clue on the prices, but why would you wanna change your headlamps unless they have a crack o something (?)

Security Systems: I'd not suggest you to get another one, they get messed up in hardly any time anyways. See if you can get an accessory shop (who you are going to visit for the Audio) to fix it, get a new remote, work something out.

V1P3R: Everyone planning mods/repairs does not have to end up with an engine swap!!!!!!

manson.
Old 4th April 2007, 22:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

manson, u got it spot-on - one does feel one's losing value when one considers selling the Honda and getting a new car!

Do you mean dealerships will do a decent job at those prices itself ? From my earlier experiences with Whitefield Honda here (when they were the only guys) they've always seemed exorbitant. Yeah, I hear you about sticking to green - makes a lot of sense when you point out the refitting bits - is it really that bad ?

The audio and alloys' costs sounds encouraging - and I guess I was ok on the tyre costs. How much of a diff do tubeless tyres make practically ?

I think I'll wait for the spoiler - not sure yet about aftermarket stuff.
Seats - a good shampoo will do - the original seats are in ok shape. Was tempted by some good G-Sports I'd seen in a pal's car recently. Also wanted the door fabric inserts changed. But if those are impractical, would rather not.

When I said lamps - I really meant only better bulbs, not the entire assembly.
The Thorn security thingy is 6 years old too - maybe its lived its life. Bloreans - any reliable places for getting stuff repaired ?

Thanks again for some very detailed, considered and useful advice. I guess I might actually "get away" with much lesser than I imagined, and have some spare for other mods
Old 4th April 2007, 22:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post

Do you mean dealerships will do a decent job at those prices itself ? From my earlier experiences with Whitefield Honda here (when they were the only guys) they've always seemed exorbitant.
Well, get a quote from both, if the price difference is 5-7K, the extra moolah for a service center job will be mostly worth it. Honestly, i have never gootne a full repaint job done from an authorised service center, but from the past incidents i know i will get it doen at one if the price difference is not much.

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you about sticking to green - makes a lot of sense when you point out the refitting bits - is it really that bad ?
Maybe not as bad, but i'm certain the car will be slightly more prone to those rattles, and after spending the kind of money you intend to spend on your ride, it feels miserable to hear that seat rattle while you're driving home at 1 a.m. when eveyrthing around is quiet.

Quote:
The audio and alloys' costs sounds encouraging - and I guess I was ok on the tyre costs.
Yeah, the price estimates i have mentioned are very realistic and you wont have to scout for a deal.
Good brands for wheels would be H.R./Hijoin, BSA, dont even bother with the auras and neos, dealers favour them saying warranty/guarranty/indian/better service, thats just for their suoperor margins compared to the ones on the imported makes.

Quote:
How much of a diff do tubeless tyres make practically ?
They aid in handling, but the more VFM feathure about tubeless tyres is that they dont immediately deflate, so you could possibly drive a few kms with a nail in your tyre. Fixing a puncture will cost more though, Rs.100 from the Rs. 30 for the tube types.

Quote:
Seats - a good shampoo will do - the original seats are in ok shape. Was tempted by some good G-Sports I'd seen in a pal's car recently. Also wanted the door fabric inserts changed. But if those are impractical, would rather not.
G-Sports look great, did you mention 15K for G-Sport though in your first post. I was told in the region of 5K for my esteem years ago. The PU seats are good, long lasting, the only bad part is they get really hot in the summer, but then it might lend some newness to your car.

Quote:
When I said lamps - I really meant only better bulbs, not the entire assembly.
Changin both headlamp bulbs to 100 W ones aided by a cut-out should not cost you over 1K.
Following thread should help you with the bulbs bit.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...headlamps.html

manson.
Old 4th April 2007, 23:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I know what you guys mean about parting with your Hondas. Done it twice, and was reduced to tears both times. Dreading the day the Baleno goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
V1P3R: Everyone planning mods/repairs does not have to end up with an engine swap!!!!!!
What do to, yaar? Aadat se majboor hoon!
Old 4th April 2007, 23:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Yes, I know what you guys mean about parting with your Hondas. Done it twice, and was reduced to tears both times. Dreading the day the Baleno goes...

What do to, yaar? Aadat se majboor hoon!
Et tu a baleno boy ??? Why no gallery ?

Most Viewed