Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 10:30   #1
BHPian

Best car for modification?

Hi,

I am really interested in a FAST car - especially v. fast pickup / torque & great 1/4 mile figures.

I have been told Baleno is v. good for modification, but I dont like its looks that much or else I would have bought it!

Also, I want the modified car to have as less maintainence as possible & be easily serviceable as well as repairable in case it breaks down outside Mumbai where mechanics havent seen such a modified job.

I'm looking at 2 segments:

1. Toyota / Skoda Octavia / Mitsubhishi Lancer (incl. Cedia)

2. Ford Fusion / Palio (1.6 sports) / Getz

Im planning to buy a 2 year old car so that I dont mind losing out on warranty because of mods carried out... plus they are cheaper to buy than new cars!

I would greatly appreciate if someone could comment on which car I should opt for and also comment on possible 0-100 figures before & after modifications after they recommend a car & modifications.

I look forward to your experienced comments!

Thanks!
Sandeep
Old 4th April 2007, 12:06   #2
BHPian

Most of the people say that Japanese cars (Honda etc ) are easy to modify than European cars ( if you dont consider ECU remap).

Dont know about other cars but Palio 1.6 GTX was a beast on road without any mods.

Why arent you considering Honda vtec

Ford fusion is a bad bad choice even to consider
Old 4th April 2007, 12:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think a Mitusbishi Lancer Cedia will be a amazing vehicle to mod, however looking at your requirement for service i think you should get yourself a Baleno or swift in case you dont like the looks.
Old 4th April 2007, 12:24   #4
BHPian

If you takeout that 2 year old limit , OHC VTEC is the best I feel.
Old 4th April 2007, 12:25   #5
BHPian

Go and mod the 1.6 palio you can save lot of money if you go for palio and spent it on mod works
Old 4th April 2007, 12:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

OHC - VTEC
Mitsubishi - Lancer
Old 4th April 2007, 12:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Go in for the Lancer. Unlimited mod potential
Old 4th April 2007, 12:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

It should be the OHC VTec / Maruti Suzuki Baleno / Mitsubishi Lancer / OHC 1.5 / Maruti Esteem / Maruti Zen. In the order of your budget choose one. I agree with someone who mentioned that European cars are not good to mod since they cost a lot and not many people mod them.

Palio (1.6 sports) - Out of question to mod since there is nothing much you can do about it due to space constraints in the engine bay etc.

If you want us to select a car from the 6 choices given above I would prefer the Mitsubishi Lancer / Cedia or the Hyundai Getz.

Good luck!
Old 4th April 2007, 13:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

If i am given the choice i would go in for a lancer(the first lot) and then drop a new powerful engine from an evo and then go on modifying it until it becomes a ten sec car and full evo body covertion to

i choose the first lot because i think they are better than what we get today and you can get it dirt cheap to around 1.25 to 1.50(thats dirt cheap for a lancer0
Old 4th April 2007, 15:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post

Seems the consensus here is the Honda OHC VTEC - what's the exact model name - I can check with dealers when I know the exact model to ask!

Can you really get a very good condition OHC VTEC? Are spares still available for this car (I assume its discontinued)? Is it reliable enough to go anywhere in India away from Mumbai and still get support / repair in case of a breakdown?

I am quite afraid of having a heavily modified car and then getting stuck in the middle of nowhere and not having a soul (mechanic) who understands what's been done under its hood!

Regards,
Sandeep
Old 4th April 2007, 15:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Ford fusion is a bad bad choice even to consider
Oh, I see... I thought its a great car to drive!

Any reasons why it is considered to be a bad choice?
Old 4th April 2007, 16:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
And what about the NEW Honda City Vtec?

What about the Lancer Cedia?
People say that the 2000 cc engine is based on a rally car, but detuned for fuel efficiency figures - so would that be easy to retune to make it a powerful beast with 0-100 in less than 7 secs, etc & perhaps still return 8 kms / ltr of petrol?
Old 4th April 2007, 18:56   #13
BHPian

i also feel the best chices would be cedia and ohc vtec
Old 4th April 2007, 19:06   #14
BHPian

OHC VTec, but well maintained ones are harder to find these days in the 2nd hand market....why spend on repairing the car first??

The Baleno is also a very decent choice, esp. for modification - given the large engine bay space, you can easily fit a turbo with all the required gimmicks in there! And hello....you did say it was for modding - get a basic body kit if u don't like the original look! I've seen some Balenos look extremely aggressive with just a simple front bumper kit.
Old 4th April 2007, 19:08   #15
BHPian

oh and....have u seen a used Cedia anywhere? How much do they cost these days? Too expensive to buy from the showroom to mod though....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks