Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India

A new trend seems to be catching on among modified car owners in India. Called "rear bumper delete", it involves completely removing the rear bumper of your car! What next? "Front bumper delete"?

This first started with many Lamborghini owners around the world, with an intent to show off the car's exhaust system. Some 90s Honda Civic racers also removed their bumpers for lesser drag on the racetrack (related info). The practice is common in 4x4s to improve the vehicle's off-road capabilities. It makes sense in these specific cases to improve performance. But on everyday road-going cars? That's just stupid.

Here's a Lamborghini Huracan from the Bren Garage in Bangalore without a rear bumper. The bumper was removed for additional cooling and it reveals the Novitec Inconel Race Exhaust:
Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-huracan.jpg
Image Source

The lack of a rear bumper would mean that any rear impact would damage the mechanicals & body work. There is simply no protection! A danger to other cars & bikes too, as they don't have that "cushion" if they accidentally run into you. In some cases, the wheel well is removed which may result in the tyre kicking up dirt deep into the internals of the car.

This trend seems to be catching on in the modifying community of India, with regular mass market cars!! Here are a few rides like the Baleno, Polo, Swift and even the Innova with no rear bumper. How stupid! It serves little purpose with these cars and IMHO, looks horrible as well:
Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-baleno-bd.jpg

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-swift-bd.jpg

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-innova-bd.jpg

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-polo-bd.jpg
Image Source

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2020 at 09:36.
ChiragM is online now   (55) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Am a fan if you've got some nice pipes or a set of big snails at the back...

But in other cases (as shown in the last 4 pics of the post above), it just looks a bit unfinished and doesn't particularly spice up the aesthetics in any noticeable way.

Was it Bisimoto that first did / popularized this trend?

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-screenshot-20201022-151259.jpg

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-bisimotoporsche91103.jpg

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-screenshot-20201022-151236.jpg
Source
Rehaan is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:41   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India

A kind of car it makes sense on while offroading, but doing it on a Baleno or Innova is just DUMB! People should THINK before they copy blindly whatever they see online.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2020 at 09:45.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is the dumbest thing I have seen, especially in Indian cars like Baleno.

What are they trying to do, see if the crash test rating can go below ZERO?

This adds neither function not vanity while losing safety. Riders removing rear view mirrors was lower on Dumbness than this as it improved the look of the bike.

I think removing the hood will be the next trend (will provide a lot of weight reduction)
2000rpm is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

While taste is subjective, this is without doubt, terrible. At least the Porsche has fancy mechanicals to show behind the bumper; but the Baleno, Swift and Innova?! What's sad is any Tom Dick or Harry with a tiny shed for a garage can suggest and carry out mods without thinking about impact on the car that manufacturers have spent tremendous effort on analyzing and designing. Throw in spoilt brats who want to move beyond neon wraps for their cars, this is quite a tragedy.

I do hope the RTO smells blood and goes after this illegal mod full throttle.
libranof1987 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:19   #6
BHPian

That Porsche is gorgeous and so well designed

The difference between the lambo/porsche and the swift/innova is the equivalent of an uncle going bare body because some actor with a six-pack does.
Most people are going to look away in disgust
jaygeetee is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:28   #7
BHPian

Isn't this dangerous from a safety perspective? If a car without a bumper hits a pedestrian in reverse, injuries are going to be serious because of the exposed metal.
Cessna182 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:40   #8
BHPian

And yet many wonder why Kerala MVD is on a roll against modifications. I bet even the Swift without plates is from Kerala. That would make it 4/4, not counting the lambo. RTOs should seriously consider temporarily cancelling the registration, like they did with the Isuzu, instead of just handing out fines. These kind of 'modifications' should not be allowed as long as the vehicle in question is plying on public roads.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

The one off Bugatti La Voiture Noire does not have a rear bumper to delete. It's OE 6 exhausts make up for the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-1image.jpeg  

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-1image.jpeg  

Last edited by AMG Power : 23rd October 2020 at 11:07.
AMG Power is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a predator face when the rear bumper is removed, super ugly

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-predator.jpg
humyum is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:11   #11
BHPian

It reminded me of the Hotrod trend.

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-29025615645694459280396.jpg

While engine bay with all its bling bling display is quite ok. This trend is plain stupid.

Last edited by srini1785 : 23rd October 2020 at 11:40.
srini1785 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:21   #12
BHPian

"Modifications" like these are exactly why the authorities out-rightly banned all the mods. This is dangerous to pedestrians and other road users and the owners are too self-centered to realise that.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd October 2020 at 13:02. Reason: Quoted post edited/deleted.
ChrisTJ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
A new trend seems to be catching on among modified car owners in India. Called "rear bumper delete", it involves completely removing the rear bumper of your car!
These look outright ugly. Also, compromises on the safety of the car in case of a rear end collision. As such these days, the bumper has become more of a flimsy cosmetic item with the overall frame eating into its space thereby undermining the very purpose of its existence. Now, this ''bumper delete'' trend is the icing on the cake.

Last edited by rr_zen : 23rd October 2020 at 11:38.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
What are they trying to do, see if the crash test rating can go below ZERO?

This adds neither function not vanity while losing safety. Riders removing rear view mirrors was lower on Dumbness than this as it improved the look of the bike.

I think removing the hood will be the next trend (will provide a lot of weight reduction)
and better cooling too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
These look outright ugly. Also, compromises on the safety of the car in case of a rear end collision. As such these days, the bumper has become more of a flimsy cosmetic item with the overall frame eating into its space thereby undermining the very purpose of its existence. Now, this ''bumper delete'' trend is the icing on the cake.
Manufacturers have stupid excuses of bumpers which are so small and short that they do not do anything. So make the cars shorter to avail tax benefits, they make it small.

When I first say the title and the Lambo in the thumbnail, I was wondering why someone would call it silly. Most of the time, the extra hardware doesn't allow enough clearance for a bumper in cars like that. But it is the stupidest thing ever to have a baleno, swift or an innova without bumpers. WHat were they thinking?!? I remember seeing the baleno on instagram and wondering why someone would do that!

Kerala has good cars, and UGLY cars too. This reminds me of the "why are bikers discriminated against" thread. More bikers= more offenders, therefore they are treated like that. Same way, more mods in Kerala, therefore more shitty cars in Kerala than anywhere else. But I truly love some of the cars that come out of there.
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

I don't see the point in removing the rear bumpers on vehicles like the Innova/Swift/Baleno. You've got no rear engine or high end exhaust set up on those cars to show off, which makes it pointless ! It just looks tasteless. I do however like cars with transparent bonnet panel (I don't endorse that anyway, just that I like the way it looks !)

While on the high-End sportscars it might aid cooling purpose, nonetheless it is still illegal. I don't see this becoming a mass trend as most probably these cars will be heavily penalized.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks