Team-BHP - Modifying a OHC VTEC v/s Ford Fusion
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Modifying a OHC VTEC v/s Ford Fusion (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/22928-modifying-ohc-vtec-v-s-ford-fusion.html)

Hi,

Last time around, I posted an inquiry about the best car to modify.

I am grateful for the overwhelming response & comments!

There was almost a general agreement in favour of the OHC (old Honda City) VTEC.

HOWEVER...

1. OHC VTECHs are VERY hard to find. None of the dealers I know have this car and nobody seems to want to sell this car! :D

2. I have a FORD FUSION already & I'm not going to get much when I sell it considering its poor resale value.

So, Im thinking of modifying my Ford Fusion instead considering:
a) Its just 2.5 years old & in good condition (as far as I can tell)
b) I already have it
c) It has a 1600cc engine with around 100 bhp
d) I like its looks & size!

I would like a frank discussion & request comments as well on comparing between the 2 cars on different parameters including but not restricted to:

1. Modifications possible (request suggestions), cost of modifications.
2. Maintainence costs
3. Possible 0-100 figures & 1/4 mile achievable in both of them

Plus, ofcourse a general discussion / comments on whether I should consider the Fusion for modification at all considering that I own one and am not getting much in resale or should I just be ready to lose money on this Fusion, spend money on buying an old VTECH and modifying it.

Thanks a ton t-BHPites!

Regards,
Sandeep

get a 1.3 (I'm not selling so this aint a plug :) ) - plonk in a VTEC engine. 1-1.5ish extra for that, 1.3s in ok shape should be cheap enough.

if u can find right place and parts, (being in bombay ur lucky to have viper performance and others) GO FOR moded fusion!!

am hung over my iKON and would love to see a ford car kick some butt!!!

plonking engine and all, please avoid unless ur planning this to be done in a 2nd or 3rd car

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 407920)
plonking engine and all, please avoid unless ur planning this to be done in a 2nd or 3rd car

Ah, I see that you dont recommend engine transplant.. hmmm

Why? Troublesome to maintain? Occasional breakdowns causing the car to need to be towed back because no normal person (road side mechanic) knows what's done to it? :Shockked:

yep. if not done correctly it wont be reliable.

i would suggest you stick to the ford fusion.it was bought first hand so you know what condition the engine would be in.if you were to go for a used vtec you might have to do a lot of of unintended work on it.considering the fusion has a duratec engine yu will be able to find a lot of parts for it though from uk and other places.you can start with the standard k&n,exhaust,porting polishing etc.and then you could probably source a cam from cosworth uk .and i agree with you,the fusion does look beautiful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellspawn (Post 407986)
you can start with the standard k&n,exhaust,porting polishing etc.and then you could probably source a cam from cosworth uk .and i agree with you,the fusion does look beautiful.

Hi, sounds good!

Im in talks with a known tBHPite from Mumbai for K&N, exhaust modifications.

What is porting polishing?

Any close estimate on the cost of a cam from cosworth? Everything in UK costs a bomb - so I'm a bit apprehensive here - some quotes / price indications would be nice to have.

Also, does the CAM job need regular repairing / servicing? Would those be possible here or would I have to turn to UK even for this?

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Cheers! :Cheering:

Sandeep

Hey guys, it is not as if he is plonking a very heavy or mis-match engine. The Vtec will sit firmly in the 1.3 considering both share the same shell & all the required mods can be done as in OE. I dont see why it would break down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 408032)
Hey guys, it is not as if he is plonking a very heavy or mis-match engine. The Vtec will sit firmly in the 1.3 considering both share the same shell & all the required mods can be done as in OE. I dont see why it would break down.

Sure, nice suggestion.

However.....
If I eventually do decide on the OHC, I would either buy a old OHC VTEC and stick to mods but not opt for a complete engine transplant OR buy a OHC 1.3 and go for an engine transplant with something much more powerful! :I Rule:

What are the suggestions for an engine swap in OHC?
What have been tried by tBHPites & any indications of figures which the engine you tried deliver- how much BHP, 0-100 & 1/4 mile? please:

Thanks!
Sandeep

Stock Indian OHC Vtec will do about in the late 16 seconds on the quarter mile, stripped of mats, seats and stepney.

Sameer makes a good point. Buy a 1.3 and drop in the Thai Vtec engine. That's a direct fit and does 134 bhp. That would mean a early 16, or late 15 second timing.

Fusion, useless as a dragstrip car. Too bulky, engine tough to work with. Cam will kill your idle and your FE if too aggressive, and you will also need massive work on your head. Mild cam, you won't see that much bang.

Bottom line, buy a Honda. And please stop calling it VTECH. It's Vtec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 408169)
Stock Indian OHC Vtec will do about in the late 16 seconds on the quarter mile, stripped of mats, seats and stepney.

Sameer makes a good point. Buy a 1.3 and drop in the Thai Vtec engine. That's a direct fit and does 134 bhp. That would mean a early 16, or late 15 second timing.

Bottom line, buy a Honda. And please stop calling it VTECH. It's Vtec.

Wow, tBHPites have really made things clear! Fusion is definately out & choices have narrowed down to 2 cars / 3 possibilities. Now with this clarity, I seek some more information that would lead to my purchase & my first mod car ownership! :Cheering:

Ah, ok.. you mean a Thai Vtec engine, not the default Indian one that came with the OHC? Now, this is getting clearer.

Is the Thai Vtec engine the one that was used with OHC Vtecs sold in Thailand as default engine? That means that almost everything else in the OHC could remain the same when the engine is transplanted and mods could mean freeflow (exhaust change), plugs, fuel management system.
What would the end result be then after this engine transplant & mods?

Now, finally the choices have narrowed down for me to 2 cars (3 options)!

1. OHC with default Vtec engine - Difficult to get though!
Subsequent mods: Exhaust, Plugs, Fuel Management System.
How much should these mods cost in all?
Expected 0-100 figures?

2. OHC 1.3
Subsequent mods: Engine transplant with Thai Vtec (overhauled engine), Exhaust, Plugs, Fuel Management System.

Expected 0-100 figures? Can I get a 6 sec figure? :)

I'm not yet completely at ease mentally with an engine transplant. I dont want a car that needs regular repairs or visits to the service station (which carried the mods). I dont mind regular servicing at all, but I really would not want a car that breaks down occasionally - just stops working on the road and needs to be towed to the mechanic.:Frustrati

I would seriously consider a transplant only if it works as reliably as a car that did not undergo a transplant.

3. Toyota Corolla H1
Subsequent mods: Exhaust, Plugs, Fuel Management System.

Expected 0-100 figures?

Thanks once again for the experienced comments & discussions. It has been very useful!

Regards & good wishes!
Sandeep

Yeah a VTEC into the 1.3 should be perfect and not too much of a force fit - same shell, everything else just made for the car. Ofc I dunno about the differences in the exhaust etc - but that should be fixable. Of course, this is certainly more "extreme" than getting a fusion or another stock car (and I wouldn't do it, tho I get tempted once in 3 months ;) ) but the whole idea was driven from your decision for and inability to find a stock vtec.

I would get the Corolla if i were you....It's hassel free and much more reliable than doing an engine transplant. The Corolla is also a safer car than the OHC, with better interiors.
The mods should cost you the same as it would on the Indian OHC Vtec.

Threads merged. Please do not start new threads everytime for same topic.

Now, I'd suggest, pick up a VTEC, there are always a few for sale around in Mumbai.

Get yourself a new Intake Manifold and a bigger Throttle Body, get your fuelling issues sorted, get yourself a nice exhaust system . If you have the moolah to spare, get the Greddy ones that Ajmat got, 12 bhp power increase with dyno proof I'm told. Get a head port job, bump up the compression a little. You may or may not need a more aggressive cam to go with it. And if you really must, get better plugs at the most. Get suspension sorted, there are alternatives to Koni. Sense of speed will be more than a Corolla, greater fun factor.

Just be careful about where you get your work done from, there are way too many tuners these days. Bad mod jobs will actually make your car slower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ported_head (Post 408349)
For OHC VTEC.
Get yourself a new Intake Manifold and a bigger Throttle Body, get your fuelling issues sorted, get yourself a nice exhaust system . If you have the moolah to spare, get the Greddy ones that Ajmat got, 12 bhp power increase with dyno proof I'm told. Get a head port job, bump up the compression a little. You may or may not need a more aggressive cam to go with it. And if you really must, get better plugs at the most. Get suspension sorted, there are alternatives to Koni. Sense of speed will be more than a Corolla, greater fun factor.

Thanks!

Get suspension sorted - you mean changed?

How much would all of this cost (estimate) in all? A breakdown of costs would be useful.

What are the 0-100 & 1/4 mile figures to be expected after these mods?

Please let me know!

Regards,
Sandeep