Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 18:02   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys i am looking for a double barreled foot pump to be kept for emergency use only. I am not inclined to buy a electric pump for several reasons.

1-Electric pumps are not known to be reliable.
2-I won't be using the pump daily for top ups but for emergencies only.
3-In a harsh weather situation like rains how is one suppose to use a electronic device without shorting out same is beyond me.

So any suggestions for a good foot pump from you guys.

Thanks.

I was earlier contemplating a foot pump but after giving it a thought i decided to go in for a electric one.I am running upsized 205's tyres on my Civic.
These are quite bulky and have a wide footprint and i figured puffing air in them through the foot pump in case of a emergency is going to leave me gasping for breath.

So i searched around a bit on this thread and came accross the Emporis electric pump .Seemed bhpian paragsachania (from the 2 lac km run Wagon r fame :-)) had bought one for his own use.

Dropped him a PM and he replied saying that the pump is doing well and is good for emergency use which is precisely what i need it for. So taking parag's word for it and also based on the fact several bhpian's on this thread have bought the product i have ordered a Emporis pump.

There are 2 kinds of pumps sold by Emporis.One which costs at Rs 1500 which does not have warranty and another one which costs Rs 2000 and comes with a 6 month warranty.

The difference between the above two is , i was told upon being queried, the 2000 bucks has a better stamina ie it would run around 30 mins before it gets too heated for operation while the
1500 one would get heated up in 20 mins or so. This was basically my understanding so i may be wrong about it.I have asked for 1500 rs pump.

I had deposited the money to the seller's account on Monday and after several calls since then i was told the pump has been dispatched and can expect delivery tomorrow.I was told i would be given
the docket no related to the courier after 7 Pm today.Keeping my fingers and hoping the pump reaches me tomorrow.
Old 15th August 2014, 14:20   #377
Senior - BHPian

Got delivery of the Pump yesterday. The packaging was neat but the bag and the pump was itself a bit dusty.Not to my liking but it's ok because it's meant for heavy duty use and not as a hair dryer or something.

I wish though the bag was little bit bigger as it takes a bit of a effort to remove the pump and the accessories and to put it back in.Still i am ok with it as hopefully i wouldn't be using it frequently.I guess i am better off struggling to get the pump out of the bag rather than struggling to get the spare tyre out of the boot .

Below are some pics of the pump.I tested it the car by plugging it in the electric output socket.It's a bit noisy but works fine.I haven't tried filling air with it as my spare tyre is placed upside down and was too lazy to flip it over and test the pump's capacity.I will just take word of the other bhpian's who have bought one and posted their feedback.

The 3 valve thingy's which were provided confused me and i could not figure out if they are needed to fill air in a car tyre.But in the morning i un-screwed the valve cap on one of my tyres and found the brass end of the coiled pipe is a direct fit on the valve, so i guess i won't be needing the valve extenstion thingy's to fill air in the tyres.

The Pump.

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-dsc_0301.jpg

The Bag. This now sits inside the spare wheel.

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-dsc_0302.jpg

The 3 valve thingy's

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-dsc_0303.jpg
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 14:58   #378
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried this one?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/12v-Car-Tyre-...item2a41cc5020
Old 16th August 2014, 20:04   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Yesterday, I got to know that Maruti is selling digital tire pressure gauges @ Rs. 490. There is another model which has glass breaking hammer, seat belt cutter & all that for 790.
Has anyone tried those? Are they worth it?
You must be referring to this Car Emergency Tool.
http://www.safetykart.com/Products/A...d-2423324.aspx
There are other Safety Tools too. I have not bought this tool.So no idea how it functions.
Old 17th August 2014, 20:26   #380
Senior - BHPian

Can someone confirm which of the electric inflators have a metal cylinder? (Not the cover for the motor.) Looks like the two Indian ones (Motocop and Emporis) are all metal but would like confirmation.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th August 2014, 20:11   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This inflator is a win. Tried it out and works like a charm. Go get it!
Hi Red Liner,

I had bought this inflator 1.5 months ago and I had used it 3 times without putting the engine running and it was directly drawing power from battery. And now, I think the battery has gone weak and I may have to replace the battery (my Punto has run around 26600Kms in 1 year and 10 months) soon
Wanted to check with you on how had you been using it so far? Do you have any battery issues?

Vinod.
Old 27th August 2014, 21:10   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Hi Red Liner,

I had bought this inflator 1.5 months ago and I had used it 3 times without putting the engine running and it was directly drawing power from battery. And now, I think the battery has gone weak and I may have to replace the battery (my Punto has run around 26600Kms in 1 year and 10 months) soon
Wanted to check with you on how had you been using it so far? Do you have any battery issues?

Vinod.
I use the one from Emporis and always use it with engine off. However, I ensure that i do not use it without charging the battery a bit (running car for few minutes). I've used it couple of times on my Honda City and no issue seen on battery.
Old 27th August 2014, 21:43   #383
BHPian

I also bought the Emporis pump (Rs 1500 one) for my Brio but after filling air for only about 40-50 seconds in one tire, it blew the fuse of my accessory socket. I had the car engine running while I was filling air. I have since got the fuse replaced but I am scared to try the pump again; its eating dust right now.
Old 27th August 2014, 21:46   #384
BHPian

I had a coido electric pump which I got for free. It conked off after a few times of use. So I ended up getting a double cylinder foot pump off ebay.

Wonder how much pumping movements would it take to inflate 195/55 r16 tyres with that.
Old 27th August 2014, 23:04   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Hi Red Liner,

Vinod.
The manual clearly says to use with the engine running. Connect to the battery mains and start the car, then switch the pump on. This is how I have been using it and I have had no issues this far.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 08:33   #386
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Can someone confirm which of the electric inflators have a metal cylinder? (Not the cover for the motor.) Looks like the two Indian ones (Motocop and Emporis) are all metal but would like confirmation.

Regards
Sutripta
The link below does not answer your question, but shows what can be expected from white box china made compressors.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tools...s-mv-50-a.html
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:52   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
I had a coido electric pump which I got for free. It conked off after a few times of use. So I ended up getting a double cylinder foot pump off ebay.

Wonder how much pumping movements would it take to inflate 195/55 r16 tyres with that.
Does it help in top up? 1 - 2 PSI per tyre?
Old 28th August 2014, 12:28   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

Regards
Sutripta
Yes they do. I had repaired that typical plastic inflator once and found a tiny metal cylinder attached to a Piston powered by that electric motor inside it.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 12:32   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The manual clearly says to use with the engine running. Connect to the battery mains and start the car, then switch the pump on. This is how I have been using it and I have had no issues this far.
I agree. I had read this but forgot to do the same. Happy to know that you have no issues so far - wanted to know that. One doubt - if we draw power from batter terminals directly when the engine is running, we are drawing the power from alternator - right? Thanks.
Old 28th August 2014, 12:46   #390
Senior - BHPian

I have placed an order for a manual air pump on Snapdeal - "Coido - Twin Cylinders Foot Tyre & Ball Inflator Pump Compressor" and awaiting delivery. Cost is 800 INR. Have tried an electronic one in the past and have not been impressed so decided to go the 'manual' way which I feel will help burn few calories as well in addition to filling air

Most Viewed