Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 20:26   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I got a prompt replacement of the inflator. Good after sales service from ResQ-Tech

Is this pump useful for cars too? A lot of member mentioned that it is suitable for only two wheelers. I plan to use it to inflate a flat tyre so that I can drive it down to the puncture shop. Rather than having to jack the car and use the spare tyre. Will it suit my requirement?
Old 10th April 2016, 18:14   #557
BHPian

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

I had compressed air facility in my company. I wanted to buy a tire inflating metering unit online. It preferred an auto/manual one which is cost effective. I was unable to find it on any e-tailing site. Can some body help me?
Old 11th May 2016, 12:36   #558
BHPian

Purchased this MGA Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge yesterday after searching for a few days. Cost is 655 /- and it is a very basic device and does not have a LED Light which might help in the dark. I feel the Cost is a bit high but since i had a 500 /- Discount Coupon, went ahead with it. The Back Cover also talks about a Beep Sound but i cant hear any sound. Also, even though the Pkd Date says 06-2012, the Package looks pretty new.

Measured Tyre Pressure after coming home, but i am not sure if it shows the exact accurate reading as 3 Tyres Reading were exactly the same.

Sorry if it is noob question but i have a query. When i insert the Gauge in the Valve, sometimes i get a Air Leak Noise. Is the Nitrogen leaking from the Tyre in this Case and is the Tyre Pressure going Low ? Makes no sense using the Device if this is the case.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img_20160511_121421.jpg  

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img_20160511_121446.jpg  

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img_20160511_121535.jpg  

abhi3284 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 12:41   #559
BHPian

I always keep one of my bicycle floor pumps in the car when I drive out of town. These are with pressure gauges. While these gauges are not very accurate at the low pressure levels required for cars, the pumps are quite effective and fill the tire to 32-34 psi in about 10-15 minutes. So if its a slow leak, these pumps are quite useful- you can drive down to the next puncture repair wala without having to change tires right away.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 20:42   #560
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Sorry if it is noob question but i have a query. When i insert the Gauge in the Valve, sometimes i get a Air Leak Noise. Is the Nitrogen leaking from the Tyre in this Case and is the Tyre Pressure going Low ? Makes no sense using the Device if this is the case.
A very short air leak noise is generally unavoidable, and it happens with most gauges, inflators, pumps etc. As long as it happens for only about a second or less, it's quite normal and almost no pressure would be lost in this brief duration as the quantity of air escaping is very less. This is the time it takes for the gauge to fit tightly on the valve. This noise can be minimised by attempting to insert the gauge when it is exactly in line with the valve.

However, the air leak noise shouldn't persist. If it does, then the gauge has not fit itself correctly on the valve, and needs to be re-positioned, or taken out and inserted again.

Last edited by RSR : 11th May 2016 at 20:48.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 12:58   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I got a french language user manual only. Fortunately I found the english manual on the internet.
Can you share the link for the English user manual. I tried locating, but couldn't find it.
Old 20th June 2016, 12:08   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Can you share the link for the English user manual. I tried locating, but couldn't find it.
I don't remember where exactly I downloaded it, but have attached a copy below.

It is about one year since I purchased it, I use it about once a month and so far it works perfectly!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Michelin_Inflator.pdf (1.18 MB, 689 views)
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 23:05   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I don't remember where exactly I downloaded it, but have attached a copy below.

It is about one year since I purchased it, I use it about once a month and so far it works perfectly!
The manual says, "Do not use the inflator while the vehicle engine is running"

Wouldn't it be better if the engine is running while we use the Michelin tyre inflator as it would put less load or discharge battery?

How do you use?

Lastly thanks for sharing the manual.
Old 21st June 2016, 12:18   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The manual says, "Do not use the inflator while the vehicle engine is running"

Wouldn't it be better if the engine is running while we use the Michelin tyre inflator as it would put less load or discharge battery?

How do you use?

Lastly thanks for sharing the manual.
I have used it both ways (with and w/o engine running).
But now I prefer to follow the user-manual.

Since I use it a day before going on a long drive I expect the battery to recharge the next day.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 12:35   #565
Senior - BHPian

I have been looking out for a air compressor which works on 220 Volts AC.
Since I could not find much, I thought of looking for a 'converter' which can give me 12 Volts DC via a cigarette lighter socket, where I could plug in my existing Coido air compressor.

Now, I found this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100W-...8-7a0d4f20a2c3

which is 100 Watts - and some comments indicate that it is not good enough for air compressors.

So, perhaps I should try my luck with the 150 Watt version

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/150W-...2a12ea7d&tpp=0

What do you guys think?
Old 7th July 2016, 13:30   #566
BHPian

Finally got fed up of going to the Petrol Pump near my residence to get tyre pressure checked and air pressure adjusted every week. The Petrol Pump near my residence is one of the busiest pumps in the city and just getting the tyre pressure checked can take up to 30 to 45 minutes. With 4 vehicles to do weekly it was becoming a real pain.

I tried other tyrewalas nearby, their pressure gauges are wildly out of sync and the gauge at the petrol pump was the most accurate so I was sticking to getting tyres checked at the pump.

After going through this thread I finally took the decision to go for a tyre inflator. Browsing through Flipkart and Amazon, I zeroed in on the Michelin High Power Rapid Tyre Inflator.

Ordered it from Amazon. Got it in 4 working days (delivery was free). Don't remember the exact cost but the list price is approximately 6,500 and I got it for approximately 4,500.

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img_2216.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img_2217.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img_2218.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img_2219.jpg

Very simple to use and is quite accurate. Also the advantage of filling and measuring while the tyres are cold is a major plus point. Small and light enough to sit in a corner of the trunk unobtrusively, it is a worthwhile investment.

Another major advantage is in the event that you have puncture, you can fill in air and limp the car to the nearest tyre repair shop to take of it.

Last edited by PratikPatel : 7th July 2016 at 13:32.
PratikPatel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 14:07   #567
BANNED

Re: Viair 85P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Just had a Viair 85P (and a mechanical gauge) delivered about a week and a half ago. Newspaper background to give perspective about size.

Attachment 1490708

One of the primary reason for going the Viair way was that a lot of forum members went this way after exploring all others!
Another reason was that none of the forum members who had bought Viair on this thread have reported any problems so far.

Copy pasting the order summary from amazon:

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: INR 3,966.49
Shipping & Handling: INR 1,514.02
Total before tax: INR 7,173.12
Estimated tax to be collected: INR 0.00
Import Fees Deposit INR 1,692.61
Grand Total: INR 7,173.12

that is quite a princely sum for a compressor! And prevailing exchange rate doesn't help either.

Ordered on March 7, 2016
Delivered March 15, 2016
Good buy! I am still using the 88P i bought two years ago. My original post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I bought a Viair 88P portable air compressor a month ago after having wasted my money on a cheap ebay compressor with digital auto cutoff. Compared to the ebay compressor this Viair rocks! I have a video of a test run with this compressor hooked upto our i10, the tyre had 30PSI when i started and the Viair pumped it up to 60PSi in 1 minute and 11 seconds which is incredible.

I cross checked the readings on the Viair inbuilt gauge with a high quality Moroso tyre pressure gauge and both were found to be very close. The difference is negligible.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8hOhtGpes

PS: This was just a test to see how hard the compressor could pump as its rated capacity is 120PSI. The tyre pressure was later brought down to recommended value with a Moroso gauge with bleeder valve.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 18:33   #568
BHPian

I am thinking of going for mechanical foot pump tyre inflator something like this:
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-520footpump.jpg

http://www.decathlon.in/p/8303660_520-foot-pump.html

My purpose is for my cycle tyres as well as emergency use for my car and motorcycle. Duke 390 does not have a electric socket and the foot pump is easily portable. Now the question is: is the foot pump usable for car and motorcycle tyres? Anybody has tried pumping car tyres with such a pump? Or is it foolish idea?
Old 11th July 2016, 18:47   #569
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I am thinking of going for mechanical foot pump tyre inflator something like this:
Most car tyres and two wheeler tyres have Shrader valves and bicycles with narrow tyres come with Presta valves. The Decathlon product mentions it is compatible with both Shrader and Presta valves. I have a cycle hand pump bought from Decathlon and the connector has a small cap that can be opened to switch between valve types and I'm guessing this foot pump will also be similar.
This should be handy for small top ups, but will need some effort, definitely easier than a hand pump though.

Last edited by NPV : 11th July 2016 at 18:48.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 07:13   #570
BHPian

I've been using these inflators for almost 15 years. My experience is that using a pump to be directly connected with battery with alligator clips instead of cigarette lighter plug is safer. Bringing a tyre to air pressure of 32 psi against the weight of an 1000Kg vehicle draws huge amperes through the socket. I feel more safe with battery connectors while inflating tyre as soon as possible without risking a fuse blowout even on ring road in Delhi, forget about a lonely place at dead of night in Himalayas.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed