Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2016, 08:59   #601
BHPian

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Have a question regarding Michelin 3145C.

I had bought it from Amazon recently on the flash sale @2100. How accurate is the pressure gauge on this device? I had checked it a couple of times when the tires are cold, it showed 37-38. Subsequent visit to petrol pump showed a different reading - almost 7-8 PSI lower. Now, I don't know which one to believe. All the petrol pump inflators seem to be in sync.

Any thoughts?
Wow. Thats an amazing price that you got there. I didnt find out about this deal. I had set my eyes on the 3140 C and was waiting for the price drop. Now its out of stock.
The only reason I finalized this costlier" model was because of the general feedback that the accuracy was good. Now I am confused again
Old 27th October 2016, 09:14   #602
BHPian

The Windek is on sale today at Amazon for 1600/-
Thanks for the reviews. Got one for myself. Hope I can post the link here.

Link: http://www.amazon.in/Windek-RCP_AL1E...=AT95IG9ONZD7S
Old 4th November 2016, 19:22   #603
BHPian

I received the Windek inflator today from Amazon and tried out in my car.
A week back I had got wheel alignment/balancing rotation etc done at a tyre shop and had asked them to top up air in each wheel to 32 psi. The Windek was showing 37.5 / 38 psi's in each tyre. I am assuming that the calibration is off by +6 psi's. Should I then treat this as my benchmark and in future always top up to 38? Suggestions please.
Old 5th November 2016, 19:38   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
I am assuming that the calibration is off by +6 psi's. Should I then treat this as my benchmark and in future always top up to 38? Suggestions please.
There is no guarantee that the pressure gauges at the shops are any accurate. Suggest you perform the same exercise from based on data from different bunks. Be sure to compare the pressures under similar conditions.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 23:06   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
There is no guarantee that the pressure gauges at the shops are any accurate. Suggest you perform the same exercise from based on data from different bunks. Be sure to compare the pressures under similar conditions.
Yes, I tried exactly that today evening and had a fantastic experience. I went to a petrol pump and got the air checked. The guy said the tyres were overinflated and he reduced it back to 33 as per his machine. Then I went to another pump and got it checked again. There the guy said its still overinflated and again reduced air to 33, as per his machine. Then when I drove , I felt the tyre pressure very low. So I went to a third pump. There he showed the pressure was 27 all around so he inflated the pressure back upto 33, again as per his machine. And now when I drove I felt the drive a bit bouncier so I came back home and checked the pressure again with the Windek. Yesterday it was showing 38 and today I was expecting it to show atleast 40 , because of the bumpier drive I experienced. Guess what, the Windek was showing in the range of 33-34. So right now I am just scratching my head trying to understand what to make out of it all.
Old 7th November 2016, 00:51   #606

Quote:
So right now I am just scratching my head trying to understand what to make out of it all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the tyre pressure changes according to the temperature of the car. If I'm not wrong, cold tyres have less pressure when compared to a hot tyre. Maybe this might've caused you to have different pressures at different petrol pumps.
Anirudhneni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 01:33   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirudhneni View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the tyre pressure changes according to the temperature of the car. If I'm not wrong, cold tyres have less pressure when compared to a hot tyre. Maybe this might've caused you to have different pressures at different petrol pumps.
Yes you are right. But the distance between one petrol pump to the next was around 2-3 kms. Dont expect much pressure changes in such short distances. The variations in the pressure are more of a reflection of the correctness (or the lack thereof) of the meters in these petrol pumps.
Old 7th November 2016, 09:15   #608
BANNED

Quote:
Yes you are right. But the distance between one petrol pump to the next was around 2-3 kms. Dont expect much pressure changes in such short distances. The variations in the pressure are more of a reflection of the correctness (or the lack thereof) of the meters in these petrol pumps.
Spot on. This may have been the reason that France in the 70's and 8-'s was using pucca manometers to show the tyre pressure. Less technology means more accuracy. Today, with load cell based technology replacing the old aneroid type boxes things are much better. What I do is use my own pump (less water moisture) and gauge. I have once lost a tyre due to overinflation caused by a faulty gauge at a 'puncture wallah.
Old 11th November 2016, 11:03   #609
BHPian

Guys, need a suggestion. Looking for a Tyre inflator, in the price range of around 2500 or less - the main criteria being "quick fill" - don't want to wait for 30 minutes for one tyre to be fully inflated.
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 12:04   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I received my Resqtech pump this week. Compared to the Emporis the Resqtech is a car with a loud free flow exhaust. I was testing it and it made such a racket and it was 645 AM so I quit. Meanwhile I also got 2 hose pipe delivered from Emporis. The Emporis again blew a fuse today on my Civic. I did not use the Resqtech because of the noise issue. Hold the emporis longer than 25 secs and it will pop a fuse. So I have decided to keep it as backup pump and henceforth will use the Resqtech for top ups. All I have to do is not use it early in the morning so as not to wake up the neighbors. The size of the pump is small and it feels well built. Let’s hope it does not turn out to be a fuse killer like the older Emporis.
A word about the Resqtech. The pump is too loud for my taste compared to the Emporis that i have. Also have noticed that topping up takes a while and it really doesn't do a good job about it and is probably good only to from 0 to 30. So i will have to resort to the fuse killer also known as the Emporis for topping up and keep the Resqtech for emergencies.
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:31   #611
BHPian

Quote:
I had set my eyes on the 3140 C and was waiting for the price drop. Now its out of stock.
The only reason I finalized this costlier" model was because of the general feedback that the accuracy was good. Now I am confused again
I am using 3140C from July 2016 which I bought for 2800 INR from Amazon. I am happy with the product and using it once in a week to set the suggested pressure. I cross checked the air pressure with one of my colleague's Slime Digital inflator which he got from the US and found both 3140C and slime showed similar readings. I also checked in a tire shop and it was showing ~0.5 PSI more than what I set using 3140C.

Thanks,
Ravi
Old 7th December 2016, 09:56   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A word about the Resqtech. The pump is too loud for my taste compared to the Emporis that i have.
Agree that ResQtech is noisy, small size could be main reason for it being noisy. I have kept it aside for using on bike trips only, have to search for it in house now.

For regular air filling duties, I have moved to 'Windek' which has same mould as my previous LIMI unit. Leaving aside appearance of buttons, it's exactly same as LIMI & much cheaper on amazon India. If internal components are same as LIMI unit, I hope that this would last me more than 5-6 years.

LIMI on left; Windek on right.
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-comparo1.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-comparo2.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 10:27   #613
BHPian

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2717
Size:  384.3 KB

Bought the Windek tire inflator off a shopping website for 800 INR.

This is very minimalist model but does the required job well. I have been using it for over 6 months now.

Vibrations are less but makes noise nonetheless.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:36   #614
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryshnon View Post
I finally took the decision of going for Windek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
With so many options, I finally ended up buying the Windek one listed above.
Is this a good choice for larger SUV tyres ? A friend needs one for his Safari so wondering if the Windek would fit the bill.
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:41   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is this a good choice for larger SUV tyres ? A friend needs one for his Safari so wondering if the Windek would fit the bill.
In reality, most of these inflators have the similar sized compressors inside that you can related to a glue stick.

I can share my example of using this on 2 different sized tires: WagonR with 155/65/13 and Ertiga with 205/60/15 - Both vary in terms of volume of Air they can grab.

While in the WagonR the pressure climbs up quickly, in the Ertiga the progress is slow - But then, the job is done albeit a bit of patient waiting.

Regarding SUV tires, I remember lukeskywalker using this on one of the Safaris that had a fully flat front wheel near Thattekere (Bangalore) and it took some time to fill up but again, the job was done.

I have repaired a non-functional compressor few months before that almost resembles Coido and can say that in terms of design all of these 12v inflators are same when it comes to compressor size. It is only the outside shell/covering that really differentiates each one of these and nothing else.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed