Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2024, 14:32   #1006
BHPian

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

I purchased the MICHELIN 12266 for INR 4,499 in Dec 2023. Interestingly, the same unit is now available for INR 3,995 on Amazon.in and I feel this will be a really good addition to any home. I was largely impressed by the review (Michelin Tyre Inflator Review (Model 12266)) posted by Aditya way back in 2022 and finally decided on this unit after going through reviews of multiple units online as well as speaking with folks who owned such inflators.

It easily inflated a flat tyre on the Nissan Sunny to 33psi inside of three minutes. Yes, it is noisy but you kind of get used to it after a while. The 12V cable is fairly long and coupled with the air hose, you can easily reach all four tyres. I just wish it had an AC input as well, as you are constrained to using a 12V source for power. The unit doesnt dance around while operating, and doesnt heat up either after long operation.

I dont particularly like the fact that you have to screw the nozzle in and out, but apparently a handy solution is available on Amazon.in

Last edited by arnieshwartz : 10th April 2024 at 14:34. Reason: edited for typos
arnieshwartz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 15:28   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
Whats your review on Michelin one, is it holding up well?
Hi, I have been using for more than a year now and it’s working fine. I use it on Tata Safari and it can fill all the four tyres in a matter of 10-15 minutes. Doesn’t make much noise or vibrations. Pretty handy to use.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th April 2024 at 16:10. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
Kkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 17:46   #1008
phi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
Any thoughts on 85 vs 87 vs 88. 88P is the most powerful as per SwastikFabs.

Based on suggestion by BHPian Sommos, started looking at VIAIR 87P, and this turned out to be very reliable and powerful, just that it doesn't have auto stop etc features, also an analogue pressure guage. Not sure if I can fill bicycle tyres etc with this. But this comes as strongly recommended and sells in matured markets like US. When I called up SwastikFab they recommeded going for 88P as its more powerful and fills air quickly. The only negative point about VIAIR is high price. But, the person on call was super confident saying this is a lifetime product and he hasn't done a single replacement till date. Probably this will last much longer and hence cover up the price of 2 such inflators which I may end up buying in the same time period. I am strongly considering 87P/88P - how long does it take for 87P to fill a tyre from 20 psi to 33 psi ?
I have been using VIAIR 90P for last 3 months, after my previous GoMechanic inflator, which was gifted by someone, stopped working after just 3 uses. 90P is extremely fast, does not sound strained even a little bit even when filling the whole tyre. I use it with my cars and bicycles.

I evaluated 87P, 88P and 90P before my purchase - the feedback that I got from friends in US was that there is not much difference in the fill rates, 88P being the is the most powerful of the lot. 235/55/R18 tyres of my Kodiaq fill up from empty to 35PSI in under 3 minutes with 90P. (Another 30-40 seconds would not really matter much anyway). Also, I got consistent personal feedback that these long-lasting products, and do not go bad easily. I would suggest 88P over 87P since 88P is rated at 120PSI - a product rated for higher pressures would be more resistant to wear and overheating. Also, rated pressures for road and hybrid bicycle tyres often go above 60PSI and that would be important if you want to use the inflator with such tyres. 88P also comes with Presta adapter (not a big deal - Schrader to Presta adapters are cheap).

I was looking for 88P, but got 90P since 88P was not in stock at that time. I guess the only thing that 88P does not have that is in 90P is a bleeder valve on the tyre connector - the valve makes it easier to adjust pressure accurately.
phi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 10:19   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Purchased GoMechanic Gusto T10 Digital Tyre Inflator (150 psi, 12V DC) in November 2023 from Amazon. Major reason for choosing this product was that it was made in India.

Have used it for topups of 2-3 psi a handfulof times; no occasions so far (thankfully) when I had to inflate a flat tyre. Observations:
  • Fast - took just about 6-7 minutes for topping up all 4 tyres
  • Did not heat up
  • Did not need to start the car engine while topping up, did not drain the battery
  • Noise levels seem ok
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 19:12   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Did not need to start the car engine while topping up, did not drain the battery
But I think you should only use a 12v inflater with the engine running.

Pretty sure the instructions on mine state to start the engine before even plugging it in. It might be a necessity too, if one's 12v socket is not even live without the engine running.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 22:50   #1011
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
[*]Did not need to start the car engine while topping up, did not drain the battery [*]Noise levels seem ok[/list]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But I think you should only use a 12v inflater with the engine running.

Pretty sure the instructions on mine state to start the engine before even plugging it in. It might be a necessity too, if one's 12v socket is not even live without the engine running.
Actually one must start the engine to use the inflator. A car without the engine running delivers ~ 12.3- 12.5V while a car with its engine on will deliver ~14.1- 14.4V through the 12V socket. So, a running engine will stress the electrical system much less as the current draw in amps will be XX watts/ 14.4V as compared to XX watts/ 12.5V. You can even blow the fuse if the current draw of the inflator is on the borderline of what the socket supports if the engine is not running.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks