Team-BHP - Engine swap possibilities in a Baleno?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Engine swap possibilities in a Baleno? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/22964-engine-swap-possibilities-baleno.html)

Hello,

Many thanks to teamBHPites in general & in particular, a very patient tBHPite who has been patiently answering my phones and even inspecting used cars I show him. After these discussions & advices, I am strongly considering a OHC & then an engine swap, mods.:Cheering:

As a last minute thought, especially since its so easy to find physically good Balenos around, I'm giving making one final inquiry in this respect.

Are there any really good engines that one can swap Baleno's engine with? :I Rule:

I am essentially interested in comparing the 170hp JDM 2nd Gen B16A engine that can be put in a OHC with engines that can fit the Baleno very well.

What are the engine swap possibilities & how much would they deliver in stock (BHP/0-100/Quarter Mile) & how much would they cost?

Regards,
Sandeep

Twin cam 1300 head and 1600 bottom half. With injection and a good flow job, you will get the same power as a B16. It's also a direct fit, unlike the B16 into the OHC, which requires a lot of power.

Like I said earlier, why don't you tell us what you want wrt quarter-miles and power?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 408733)
Twin cam 1300 head and 1600 bottom half. With injection and a good flow job, you will get the same power as a B16. It's also a direct fit, unlike the B16 into the OHC, which requires a lot of power.

Like I said earlier, why don't you tell us what you want wrt quarter-miles and power?

Hi, this is really the MAIN INTENTION!
  1. I want a 0-100 in 6-7 secs, basically. That is the main reason I am doing all this!
  2. having said that, I want a car that is not expensive to maintain & almost never breaks down in the middle of nowhere.
  3. I would ideally like atleast 7 kms/ltr when driving around the city, even with a heavy foot.
I'd even opt in for a Baleno instead of a better looking OHC if I can get the pick-up / torque & reliability that I am looking for in the same.

So, now what - Baleno or OHC?!! Hopefully this is my last thread that leads me to buying one of these two SOON!

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 408733)
Twin cam 1300 head and 1600 bottom half. With injection and a good flow job, you will get the same power as a B16.

I dont think so, the bottom half is of which block?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
Twin cam 1300 head and 1600 bottom half. With injection and a good flow job, you will get the same power as a B16.

Yeah,right.
A twin cam 1600 suzuki in stock form puts out some 129 or 143bhp. Cant remember.Compare that to a B16 and u're somewhere off.
I agree that when modded u might go near the B16's figure.But, y do u wanna give out such statements,dude?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundeeep
I want a 0-100 in 6-7 secs, basically.

U'll also need some NOS,then. U'll need atleast 250 bhp for 6-7 second timing to the ton.

what about the j18 or the j20 blocks the 1.8 and 2.0 engines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 408977)
Yeah,right.
A twin cam 1600 suzuki in stock form puts out some 129 or 143bhp. Cant remember.Compare that to a B16 and u're somewhere off.
I agree that when modded u might go near the B16's figure.But, y do u wanna give out such statements,dude?

U'll also need some NOS,then. U'll need atleast 250 bhp for 6-7 second timing to the ton.

Heh, no, NOS is definately a NO.
So, what's the best I can get without NOS?

What's my best bet without NOS to get 7-8 secs for 0-100?

Quote:

Yeah,right.

In case you are not aware, the Cultus Crescent used the same G16B SOHC and put out 115 bhp. And in case you noticed, I said flow job. That WOULD indicate mods.

Quote:

Funny, because I remember a Zen with 120+ bhp doing a 6.x second run to 100. So I would guess 170 bhp should be enough. Just like Farhan's car. Why do you wanna give out such statements, dude?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Rocam (Post 408974)
I dont think so, the bottom half is of which block?

Well, overbored Baleno block, I think it comes to 167x cc, just like our mutual friend who put it in a Zen. And he did get a dyno chart for 170 bhp on that setup.

There is a 1.8 BPT which puts out over 200 bhp. Finding that will be a bit of a hassle, though.

I'm not too sure, but I think with a B16, it might be a little tough to drive in traffic. You may want Ford Rocam's opinion on this though.

Quote:

B16 2nd gen Stock engine in OHC with I/H/E she did 6.76 to 0-100, tested on Gtech, i have also posted that pic once. i think instead of me if mclaren had driven that it would have been much better.:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Rocam (Post 409001)
i think instead of me if mclaren had driven that it would have been much better.:p

Should i consider that as a joke or as an invitation to drive your car at the next drag lol:?? Anyways if you havent noticed i have been bloating like a baloon .. That day is not far when i will be saying " wish jay had driven my car":uncontrol

Sundeep instead what you can do is go Turbo on a baleno .. Maybe even NOS for that odd thrill , that way you can still use it as a reliable daily driver if thats what you are looking at .. You need to realize with 170 bhp on tap for daily use it wont be that easy to drive in traffic conditions specially when u have less low end torque , racing clutch , and the zeal to unleash the power at the slightest of provocation ..

But what is your budget for the complete build including the cost of the car ?? That would be of some help ..

sundeep, in my humble & layman's opinion, methinks you'd be better off with a straight engine swap instead of an engine swap with mods, in terms of reliability - less things to go creak in the night. You'd be generating a decent amount of power & torque immediately after the swap.

Getting a used JDM / Thai engine, then messing around with the block & heads, then installing it seems to me to be pushing the reliability envelope a bit, especially if the work's done imperfectly.

In other words, something similar to Ford Rocam's existing setup (1.3 OHC + B16) would be a good idea if you want to use it as a daily driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885 (Post 409007)
Should i consider that as a joke or as an invitation to drive your car at the next drag lol:?? Anyways if you havent noticed i have been bloating like a baloon .. That day is not far when i will be saying " wish jay had driven my car":uncontrol

I was referring mcl as in this pic , not current one :D

Quote:

specially when u have less low end torque..

Less low end torque .... Im not too sure what you mean by that & consequently not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing! stupid:

Quote:

But what is your budget for the complete build including the cost of the car ?? That would be of some help ..

In principle, I want the car to hold atleast some if its value when I resell it. ... the idea is to not lose more than 3 lacs in 3 years!

So... I guess how much I am willing to spend was crucial in receiving suggestions on what you think should be done.

Having clarified what the budgets are, what is the best bet here? :I Rule:

Thanks - I look forward to your patient & experienced comments & discussions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jitu
B16 2nd gen Stock engine in OHC with I/H/E she did 6.76 to 0-100, tested on Gtech, i have also posted that pic once. i think instead of me if mclaren had driven that it would have been much better.

Ji, I accept. U did 6.76s with a 200 bhp car and LSD.
I was working out a figure for the '6' second timing and also wanted to give a comfortable bhp figure. Anyways, im not going to this timing thingy again since koli just said he remembered a 120 bhp doing 6.xx . Sorry again,akshay for talking timings. Forgive me.
PS: Look at BIG me in the fishing hat!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 409030)
Ji, I accept. U did 6.76s with a 200 bhp car and LSD.
I was working out a figure for the '6' second timing and also wanted to give a comfortable bhp figure. Anyways, im not going to this timing thingy again since koli just said he remembered a 120 bhp doing 6.xx . Sorry again,akshay for talking timings. Forgive me.
PS: Look at BIG me in the fishing hat!!

I doubt Jitu's car is running 200bhp, man. The Zen was around 120-130 bhp.