Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 01:49   #151
Senior - BHPian

Source - orkut

Old 14th August 2007, 02:06   #152

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

why?why?why the palio???such a beautiful looking car destroyed!
Old 14th August 2007, 07:41   #153
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful car. Can we throw it in the garbage bin please?
Old 14th August 2007, 09:20   #154
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Adalanthae, kindly do not spend on spark plugs. They are a waste of money. Instead get your throttle body enlarged.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 14th August 2007 at 09:22.
Old 14th August 2007, 09:35   #155
BHPian

As mclaren said do not go for the spark plugs. They wont effect the performace at all. About the FFE , its a good thing that you are going for the complete kit with headers. I would advice you to retain the heat shield of the current manifold when you replace the manifold with headers.
If you go for the FFE then your catalytic convertor will go so you will be polluting the environment a little more. Now about the reliability of an FFE. If you get the work done by someone who knows what he is doing then you wont have any problems . the life of the FFE depends on whether you are going for a mild steel one or a complete stainless steel one(which will cost you a bomb). A mild steel one would last you for 2-3 years(bhpians having FFE on their cars can correct me here). In any case please do retain your manifold and rest of the OEM exhaust ..you might need them later when you are selling the car or want to switch back to the stock exhaust.

I am currently using a K&N extreme conical filter in my 1.2 (post nv model) and the performance gain is minimal as expected as i dont have an FFE , but I love the intake growl of the car. I would suggest you to go for a stock replacement filter or if you want a conical one then try other options. Some guys here have appreciated the green cotton filter with vortex kit and it will be less expensive than a K & N . go for that.

Switching to synthetic engine oil is a wise decision. I use Mobil 1 supersyn 5w50 in my car and this stuff is good... expensive but good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adalanthae View Post
Thanx Moralfibre..

Hi Nitrous,

Thanks for buzzing me.. I have a palio 1.2 elx 2002 model. I need went to some two shops who sell FFE for palio the one automech (Motor Image in Valluvar Kottam) & N1 Engg (Speedworks in Nungambakkam). I want to know which one would be the best or there are any guys who are available in chennai so that i can go to them and check it out.

I need a explanation is FFE is worth in Palio.

These two guys have told me the parts to be changed to get the good job.

1. K & N Filter
2. OWS Spark Plugs
3. FFE (Full Kit)
4. Synt Oil for Engine.

I wanted to know if these are going to worth or not.

I want some info regarding cat con also. I dont know what is means exactly. People say that the FFE would leak or rust due to some issues.

Can u explain on these before i spend on.
Old 14th August 2007, 19:07   #156
BHPian

how much does porting and polishing cost ?
Old 14th August 2007, 19:20   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
how much does porting and polishing cost ?
between 15 and 20k. depends.
Old 14th August 2007, 19:39   #158
BHPian

Is there so much work to be done. What do they do by porting , any serious work like re routing etc or simply doing something for money.
Old 14th August 2007, 19:45   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Is there so much work to be done. What do they do by porting , any serious work like re routing etc or simply doing something for money.

2. Head Porting & polishing:
  • Cylinder head porting and polishing refers to enlarging and smoothening of the ports on the intake and exhaust. This results in better quality and quantity of gas flow-rates. Power gains are very noticeable from a high-quality porting and polishing job. Remember that the intake ports need to be finished rough while the exhaust ports should have a mirror finish. Approximate cost = Rs.9,000 – 15,000.
from GTOs thread.
Old 26th August 2007, 21:00   #160
BHPian

hi

the palio 1.6 engine 's performance potential limited by the cam phasing, event duration and phasing . u get them modded and it will be an absolute bomb !
Old 27th August 2007, 22:44   #161
BHPian

what about the heat range?

one thing i want to hilight, with some good exceptations nobody pays attentation towards the heat range of the spark plug.
people just check the visible physical dimensions like thread type, reach and simply fit the plugs!!
do we get the required heat range in india in after market ?
if yes then how many people look for it and how many people know the importance of the heat range in the design stage of the engine?
Old 27th August 2007, 22:58   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
one thing i want to hilight, with some good exceptations nobody pays attentation towards the heat range of the spark plug.
people just check the visible physical dimensions like thread type, reach and simply fit the plugs!!
if yes then how many people look for it and how many people know the importance of the heat range in the design stage of the engine?
Would love it too if someone could shed some light on this.
Old 28th August 2007, 08:34   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
Can you give us the exact heat range required for Palio 1.6, Palio 1.2, Siena 1.6?
Old 29th August 2007, 00:19   #164

I'm considering buying a new Stile 1.6. I'm not a mech guy and am not knowledgable about the mech aspects. I would not want to meddle with the core aspects of an automobile unless I'm very confident - which I'm not. Could you guys please shed some light on any mods considered to be wise when buying a new car... like some people say it is better to get your tyres exchanged for wider ones so that you get the best deal for your stock tyres etc.. I'm talking about that sort.

The sales guy voulantarily said I could use a K&N filter which could improve mileage by about 10%. If that is possible, then that's good for the 1.6's known FE. Also, can I add a spoiler to the Stile 1.6 ? Any idea how much it would cost and how it would look ? Any suggestions about the tyres ? This would be my first car and I wouldn't want to do much with it but I guess there is no harm in knowing stuff rather than repenting later for not having the info when it could be used.
Old 29th August 2007, 08:24   #165
Team-BHP Support

Hi Stargazer,

For starters you could consider wider tyres. The right up size would be 196/60/R14. I would choose from the following tyres:

Michelin Pilot Preceda2
Michelin Pilot Primacy
Yokohama ES100
Bridgestone Potenza GIII

The exchange with brand new stock tyres should cost you about 5000 - 7000 for a set of 5 tyres.

K&N has its advantages (marginal) and it is not a proven fact that you'd get better mileage.

Most Viewed