Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 20:33   #211
BHPian

They are lightened Flywheel and pulley, good for racing, but not for regular use, will reduce the torque of the engine at low RPM, however, will allow the engine to rev more freely, less mass. but the engine will have to idle at a higher speed "less mass=less inertia" for regular use the cons outweigh the pros and will not actually justify the power output, needs to be use in conjunction with more work on the engine, by them selves they are best avoided.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:18   #212

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinaygv View Post
They are lightened Flywheel and pulley, good for racing, but not for regular use, will reduce the torque of the engine at low RPM, however, will allow the engine to rev more freely, less mass. but the engine will have to idle at a higher speed "less mass=less inertia" for regular use the cons outweigh the pros and will not actually justify the power output, needs to be use in conjunction with more work on the engine, by them selves they are best avoided.
Nicely explained...as you mentioned it works best when you have some big mods to actual improve power and these mods increase responsiveness.
Old 7th February 2008, 16:33   #213
BHPian

Very nice thread this.

I have a query regarding my Petra 1.6. The car is great. The engine is superb. I love to feel it rev. The car is extremely stable and the ride is excellent. It strikes a great balance between ride and handling. I do feel that the rear has a strong opinion when it comes to high speed turns, but I am not complaining.

Now I get to the query I have. This car is now a year and three months old. I have driven it for 20k km. Only about 2-3000km over highways, while the rest has all been on Bombay roads. As we all know, Bombay roads do call for good suspension. I have made full use of the suspension of the car, and already it is showing signs of weakness.

When I go over a bump, just as I cross the peak and the wheel starts to go down the slope, I hear a sound. The sound is like two heavy pieces of metal knocking, and comes from near the left front wheel. I also hear a slightly different version of the sound when I take a sharp right turn.

I do not know whether this is due to my misuse (I have often driven through rough patches; not potholes, of course, without slowing down) or due to a damaged set up from the showroom itself.

Firstly, I would like to know from people who have had this car or the palio for long periods, if the suspension can be expected to show signs of weakness this early.

I am going to take my car to Shaman for a check up. So, secondly, I was wondering, that if the suspension can not be repaired, and I have to replace the complete struts, whether it would be a good idea to upgrade to stronger a stronger non OEM set up. The benefit would be to that I could get a better handling car. Just wanted to know from all the experts if this would be worth it. I am not too keen on a very comfy ride. What I like about this car with the current set up is that it does not have too much body roll. If the new set up improves that, good.

So, what should I do? Advice please?
Old 7th February 2008, 18:10   #214
BHPian

Anyone? Some comments please.
Old 7th February 2008, 22:20   #215

I am considering GT Radials for my new Fiat Palio since Stock Tyres are from Good year and are getting replaced due to manufacturing defect.
Can you please adise as how GT Radials are ? Bridgestone is not ruled out either.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Hi Stargazer,

For starters you could consider wider tyres. The right up size would be 196/60/R14. I would choose from the following tyres:

Michelin Pilot Preceda2
Michelin Pilot Primacy
Yokohama ES100
Bridgestone Potenza GIII

The exchange with brand new stock tyres should cost you about 5000 - 7000 for a set of 5 tyres.

K&N has its advantages (marginal) and it is not a proven fact that you'd get better mileage.
Old 8th February 2008, 01:34   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoo82 View Post
I am considering GT Radials for my new Fiat Palio since Stock Tyres are from Good year and are getting replaced due to manufacturing defect.
Can you please adise as how GT Radials are ? Bridgestone is not ruled out either.

Thanks.
Not good tyres. I haven't tried them but reviews state that they are fair tyres.
Old 8th February 2008, 01:50   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Very nice thread this.

I have a query regarding my Petra 1.6. The car is great. The engine is superb. I love to feel it rev. The car is extremely stable and the ride is excellent. It strikes a great balance between ride and handling. I do feel that the rear has a strong opinion when it comes to high speed turns, but I am not complaining.

Now I get to the query I have. This car is now a year and three months old. I have driven it for 20k km. Only about 2-3000km over highways, while the rest has all been on Bombay roads. As we all know, Bombay roads do call for good suspension. I have made full use of the suspension of the car, and already it is showing signs of weakness.

When I go over a bump, just as I cross the peak and the wheel starts to go down the slope, I hear a sound. The sound is like two heavy pieces of metal knocking, and comes from near the left front wheel. I also hear a slightly different version of the sound when I take a sharp right turn.

I do not know whether this is due to my misuse (I have often driven through rough patches; not potholes, of course, without slowing down) or due to a damaged set up from the showroom itself.

Firstly, I would like to know from people who have had this car or the palio for long periods, if the suspension can be expected to show signs of weakness this early.

I am going to take my car to Shaman for a check up. So, secondly, I was wondering, that if the suspension can not be repaired, and I have to replace the complete struts, whether it would be a good idea to upgrade to stronger a stronger non OEM set up. The benefit would be to that I could get a better handling car. Just wanted to know from all the experts if this would be worth it. I am not too keen on a very comfy ride. What I like about this car with the current set up is that it does not have too much body roll. If the new set up improves that, good.

when you got the showroom,ask the guys to open the shocker assembly and ask them to check the "buffer"...its a foam padding inside the shocker which might have worn out..it costs 500 bucks or so.
Old 8th February 2008, 09:56   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
when you got the showroom,ask the guys to open the shocker assembly and ask them to check the "buffer"...its a foam padding inside the shocker which might have worn out..it costs 500 bucks or so.
Thanks Hellspawn, I shall do that. Something similar had happened to my 800 a few years back, and the service guys said change the shocks. My first reaction was- same thing has happened with this car too. Anyway, I shall take a look at the buffer.
Old 22nd February 2008, 08:36   #219
BHPian

hello

entire suspensation cant go wrong at the same time.
contact mr. kiran rane-the works manager of shaman.
generally the palio range of suspension lasts for about 30 k in bad conditions/ driving up to 100000kms in good conditions +good hands.
dont try to so called upgrade the suspensions.
there is always a pay off between handling dynamics and creature comforts.
oem set up has close to best of the compromises..
all the shocks are gas filled with duel rating with hydraulic assist.
and matched well with the spring rate<rising rate springs!>
so unless u want either dynamics or the creature comforts alone .... its easier not to fool around with in a family car..
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Very nice thread this.

Old 22nd February 2008, 13:03   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
entire suspensation cant go wrong at the same time.
contact mr. kiran rane-the works manager of shaman.
generally the palio range of suspension lasts for about 30 k in bad conditions/ driving up to 100000kms in good conditions +good hands.
dont try to so called upgrade the suspensions.
there is always a pay off between handling dynamics and creature comforts.
oem set up has close to best of the compromises..
all the shocks are gas filled with duel rating with hydraulic assist.
and matched well with the spring rate<rising rate springs!>
so unless u want either dynamics or the creature comforts alone .... its easier not to fool around with in a family car..
Thanks Samir. I shall speak to Mr Kiran Rane. A slight development in the situation that has happened since my last post is that now when I turn towards the right, usually at 25-30kmph or more, I hear a grinding or rattling sound from the front left, as if something has come loose and is scraping against some other metal part. It feels like some connector at the top of the left strut is loose and with the load on the spring, the damper is rattling loose.
I don't know if I am coherent enough there. Do you get what I am saying? If not do post your reaction, and I shall try to explain the feel in a different way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th February 2008, 00:30   #221
nbr
BHPian

My Palio

Here's first pictures of my Palio stile, i have just changed the wheels,

Old 25th February 2008, 02:06   #222

@nbr: Fiat palio looks awesome in black and is looking even better now.
Great job,car looks awesome.
Old 25th February 2008, 19:20   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
Here's first pictures of my Palio stile, i have just changed the wheels,
Hey, I used to think the new Palio did not look as good as the old design. But now, I just have to take back my words. That is one great looking car, specially in black. Congratulations on the new car NBR.
Old 25th February 2008, 22:41   #224
Senior - BHPian

Wow. I love those alloys. 14"?? Have you also changed the tyre size.?
Old 26th February 2008, 01:25   #225
nbr
BHPian

Some more of my Palio

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks