Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 00:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!

It all started with couple of my posts in weird&whacky modifications thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5036432 (Pics of weird & wacky mod jobs in India!)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5037482 (Pics of weird & wacky mod jobs in India!)
I did not like couple of extra badges on this car and requested my brother to remove them. He ignored my suggestion and as a revenge I took couple of pictures and posted it in weird &whacky thread. He had two odd badges on the car then and next time when I visited I could see another one. Leaving aside this quirk I feel the car is coming out really great. Restoration is not complete yet and it may take few more months to complete whatever he planned ( due to his work commitments).

My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-left3q.jpg

These are some of the the restoration& modification works already completed:
1. Complete repainting of the car (including body shell)
2. New wire harness, suspension, and replacement of all other defective components
3. Integration front seats from Hyundai Santro with all functions
4. Integration of rear head rests from Mitsubishi Pajero
5. New seat cover with improved under thigh support
6. Remote boot release and fuel lid release
7. Front washer& wiper set from Omni
8. Side skirt inspired by Peugeot 308 GTline
9. Number plate mountings borrowed from a Mini Cooper
10. Rear spoiler

I will check and update if I missed something.

Pending work:
1. Tire&wheel upgrade to 13"
2. Front head lamp bezel and surround grill.
3. Minor interior mods
4. Polishing and ceramic coating.

Here are the few pictures I clicked today and you can see most of the modifications I listed above

Front 3 quarter:
Visible mods: New grille with Suzuki logo, complete wiper washer set (from Omni) Number plate mounting from Mini, and ORVM with turn indicators.
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1618162149475.jpg

Rear 3 quarter:
Visible mods: Spoiler, Peugeot 308 GTline inspired side skirt
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-right3q.jpg

Side views:
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-side11.jpg
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-side1.jpg

Front seats:
Seats are from Hyundai Santro and with all functions (You can also see my current ride btwin mybike)
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1618167625079.jpg
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1618162149502.jpg

Rear seats:
Those head rests are from Pajero and rear seat under thigh support is much better now
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1618162149508.jpg

Remote boot release& Fuel lid opener
I think both are from Zen
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1618162149495.jpg

Engine bay
Not sure which car those horns belong to.
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1618162149489.jpg

Now I am on a mission to get those extra badges removed!

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th April 2021 at 21:33.
Latheesh is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 07:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 08:41   #3
BHPian

Good job of functionality over originality. That badge reminds me of my colleague who used to have Rolex Yacht Master watch (Thailand one. Looks absolutely tacky given the original watch was worth his 2.5 years salary.
BhayanaV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 08:43   #4
BHPian

This looks awesome. Your brother must have a lot of patience to do all these retrofits and that too on a Maruti 800.

I personally liked the next generation cars as they are more rounded and look more elegant, but this makes me think twice. Awesome build. Would love to see the wheels.

Cheers
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:05   #5
BHPian

Always an absolute treat to see 800s in such mint condition, these cars have almost become a rarity these days especially in big cities. I have no doubts that you have a future Indian classic on your hands! I really doubt anybody can guess that the car is 26 years old!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:06   #6
BHPian

The car is looking amazing. Hope that nothing is overdone. Once over, please post the costs involved and loads of pics. May be my dream of having an old gen 800 comes true through your inspiration.
Old 15th April 2021, 10:08   #7
BHPian

What a lovely Restomod!! Of course, the "weird" badges are not to my taste either.

Love that Omni windshield washer setup. Very practical mod providing a 6-jet spray. I see a parcel shelf - isn't that custom made? Are the rear seats stock, excluding the headrests and upholstery? Those turn-signal type ORVMs from a Scorpio's accessories bin?

Apologies for the many questions, but this would look cool once the classy set of 13-inch wheels and tyres are on. A real head-turner this is!
Old 15th April 2021, 13:56   #8
BHPian

This is so nostalgic. Thanks for sharing. As a kid a Maruti 800 with body colored bumpers was truly a very rare sight. Glad to see one in such a good condition, reminded me of old movies of a bygone era.

P.S : I did not like the AMG badges, not a fan of using badges of other vehicles. Like you mentioned, remove them soon and make sure you burn them
Old 15th April 2021, 16:42   #9
BHPian

That's one sweet & clean M-800 DX, those square headlamps are pure classic!

Would like to take this for a spin when I visit Thalassery if you are somewhere nearby.

And yes, full support to you for the 'de-badging mission', if you need any local 'manpower' feel free to PM me.

Last edited by kamilharis : 15th April 2021 at 16:43.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 17:23   #10
BHPian

Dude this is great. We just overhauled our 2004 Alto as well and the only things I still need to do are the front seats. How hard is it to swap seats completely to that of another car? Did you have to do anything to the mounts? I really want to swap ours completely instead of messing around with replacing foam and stuff. A little detail with any close up pics you may have would be great!

Thanks
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 20:05   #11
AZT
BHPian

Those seats look comfy. Could give a run to some present day models.

I'm liking the colour scheme and rear spoiler look. Very retro
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 20:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
Good job of functionality over originality. That badge reminds me of my colleague who used to have Rolex Yacht Master watch (Thailand one. Looks absolutely tacky given the original watch was worth his 2.5 years salary.
Thanks, other than those badges I like everything about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctYFAN View Post
This looks awesome. Your brother must have a lot of patience to do all these retrofits and that too on a Maruti 800.

I personally liked the next generation cars as they are more rounded and look more elegant, but this makes me think twice. Awesome build. Would love to see the wheels.

Cheers
OctYFAN
Yes, he already spent lot of time and money on this car. Most of the fabrication work is done by him. He has not finalized the wheel upgrade yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Always an absolute treat to see 800s in such mint condition, these cars have almost become a rarity these days especially in big cities. I have no doubts that you have a future Indian classic on your hands! I really doubt anybody can guess that the car is 26 years old!
Yes, especially the paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive Head View Post
The car is looking amazing. Hope that nothing is overdone. Once over, please post the costs involved and loads of pics. May be my dream of having an old gen 800 comes true through your inspiration.
I do not think he track expenses. Most of the work is done by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
What a lovely Restomod!! Of course, the "weird" badges are not to my taste either.

Love that Omni windshield washer setup. Very practical mod providing a 6-jet spray. I see a parcel shelf - isn't that custom made? Are the rear seats stock, excluding the headrests and upholstery? Those turn-signal type ORVMs from a Scorpio's accessories bin?

Apologies for the many questions, but this would look cool once the classy set of 13-inch wheels and tyres are on. A real head-turner this is!
Omni windshield washer+ wiper works very good. I noticed parcel tray after your post I will check and update. ORVMs are after market accessory. Rear seats are modified (Pajero head rests are welded on to OE seat frame).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
This is so nostalgic. Thanks for sharing. As a kid a Maruti 800 with body colored bumpers was truly a very rare sight. Glad to see one in such a good condition, reminded me of old movies of a bygone era.

P.S : I did not like the AMG badges, not a fan of using badges of other vehicles. Like you mentioned, remove them soon and make sure you burn them
I will try to convince him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
That's one sweet & clean M-800 DX, those square headlamps are pure classic!

Would like to take this for a spin when I visit Thalassery if you are somewhere nearby.

And yes, full support to you for the 'de-badging mission', if you need any local 'manpower' feel free to PM me.
Sure, our home is just ~ 17km from Thalassery towards Kannur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Dude this is great. We just overhauled our 2004 Alto as well and the only things I still need to do are the front seats. How hard is it to swap seats completely to that of another car? Did you have to do anything to the mounts? I really want to swap ours completely instead of messing around with replacing foam and stuff. A little detail with any close up pics you may have would be great!

Thanks
It was a time consuming work and executed completely by my brother. I will check and update the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Those seats look comfy. Could give a run to some present day models.I'm liking the colour scheme and rear spoiler look. Very retro
Yes, both front and rear seats are really comfortable now. I did not like the seat cover though (fit and finish).

Last edited by Latheesh : 15th April 2021 at 20:33.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 11:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

There were few minor exterior enhancements and this is how it looks 1 year after the restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1654841868280.jpg  

My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1654841868290.jpg  

My brother's modified 1995 Maruti 800!-1654841868299.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 03:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
There were few minor exterior enhancements and this is how it looks 1 year after the restoration.
It seems your brother still has not paid heed to your recommendation to removing some of the badges . Oh well, thats how brothers are, I can tell from experience

Overall excellent job on his restoration and mods. The car is definitely an eye catcher, while being (mostly) tastefully done! Kudos!

PS - these are painted wheel covers right? Did he consider alloys?

Last edited by akshaysehgal : 13th June 2022 at 03:31.
akshaysehgal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks