Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preference for in-car phone charging?
Wired charging 258 70.68%
Wireless charging 107 29.32%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 13:11   #61
BHPian

Re: In-Car wireless phone charging is seriously overhyped!

I like the wired charging better because it lets me control the phone that is connected to the car / touchscreen for Apple CarPlay (my car does not have wireless CarPlay). Here is my use scenario: my wife and I both drive the car. Our rule is that the passenger gets to control the music / navigation. Hence the passenger phone gets connected to the wire. The driver phone sits on the wireless charger and slowly charges up.

I am not sure how to quickly switch between phones if CarPlay is wireless, hopefully it is easy and intuitive. If I were the only user of the car, I wouldn't mind wireless charging. It makes it easy to handle the phone in the car without any cables. I manage my phone's charge in other ways (I have a power bank plus cables at home, work, etc.).

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 16th April 2021 at 13:13. Reason: Minor edit
Old 16th April 2021, 13:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

Wired charging for me as I am a big user of Android Auto. The feedback from people I know using wireless AA & Carplay has been quite bad with the connection being very unstable.
Old 16th April 2021, 14:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Wired charging for me as I am a big user of Android Auto. The feedback from people I know using wireless AA & Carplay has been quite bad with the connection being very unstable.
Just curious, do such cars have an option to use AA and Carplay, by plugging in a cable as well?
Old 16th April 2021, 14:43   #64
BHPian

I might be going against the tide here, but I would pick wireless charging in a car over wired charging, for the following reasons :

1. I find wires sticking out of the dash a complete eye sore, not to mention that I have this constant fear that the wire might get entangled in the gear selector or parking brake etc.

2. In most cases my phone is always juiced up when I leave the house, and I only charge the phone in the car so that it retains the full battery while doing tasks like playing audio over Bluetooth etc in the car.

3. I use both an iPhone as well as Android, so two different cables would be a nightmare for me.

That being said, point number 1 is the biggest reason for me personally.
Old 16th April 2021, 14:48   #65
BHPian

Wireless charging is good for public places, offices etc where there are many different makes of phones and keeping cables is a nuisance and an ugly looking solution. In a car it makes much less sense as the charging system is private and not public. Easy to keep one or two different cables - Type C or Type B USB and or the iPhone Lightining connector.
Old 16th April 2021, 14:57   #66
BHPian

If I had to choose only one option, I'd pick wired charging because it saves charging time.

But AFAIK, even cars with wireless charging offer USB slots or at least the glow plug option where a charger can be inserted.

If the phone battery is too low and the journey not too long either, wired definitely makes sense. I personally leave the house with a mostly full phone and having a wireless charger helps cover whatever charge is spent during the travel through Bluetooth and Navigation.

I'd prefer to have an option for both wired as well as wireless so that I can use the wired one when required. But in general use case, I find it easier to just leave the phone on the wireless charger and not bother with any wires 90% of my drives.

However, having only wireless charger without any USB slots would not be ideal..
Old 16th April 2021, 15:14   #67
BHPian

I think this is also a matter of personal preference. In my car, the central arm rest dash always has the cables connected and ready for charge - as soon as I enter the vehicle I connect it to the phone. I also keep a wireless charger handy, hooked to the AC vent which allows me to place the phone (with auto open/close) making it easier to access the phone for Maps, Music etc while its being charged (albeit slowly than the wired connection)
Old 16th April 2021, 15:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Just curious, do such cars have an option to use AA and Carplay, by plugging in a cable as well?
If I remember correctly, the lower variants of the Sonet have only wireless AA / Carplay and no cable based support. Not sure of the other models.
Old 16th April 2021, 17:58   #69
BHPian

Didn't vote as I didn't find an Other option.

For me, charging the phone in the car is only an emergency move. I like to charge my phone right up till 100% when it's completely discharged or at 1%. It's almost like a routine now and happens before I am going to sleep or in the morning when I am busy working and don't want distractions. One full charge lasts for 1.5 days on an average. Going for the full cycle also ensures good battery life.

When it comes to charging in the car, I have often found the phone to get quite hot and also the charging process is much slower than the in-house wall charging. Hence again not recommended for the phone's battery life.

I have mostly used the in-car charging while using the Apple Car Play on my Crysta. Planning to use a beater Android Phone now. Guess I am too paranoid about the life of my iPhone
Old 16th April 2021, 19:35   #70
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Though it is a good to have feature, it is not a deal breaker for me.

Personally, I would prefer Wireless. Less clutter. I just hate a cluttered dashboard.

Like most users have mentioned about heating, I haven't faced that issue. A Thick Hard cases decrease its efficiency, other than that, I haven't faced any issues.

I used to use Android Auto ( in my earlier 2016 Honda Accord ) primarily for maps. With my present rides having in-built navigation, I don't even need that.
Old 16th April 2021, 22:32   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been using wireless charging for more than 7 years now (3 phones). I just love the convenience of it. It's slow I know but I don't care. Due to the slow charging I hardly charge 0-100 and then discharge 100-0. But I always have around 60-80% charge in my phone.

That said, none of my cars have wireless charging. So I can't comment on the heating issue...But I've experienced no heating issue in the desk wireless charger.

I don't think it's overhyped. it's still evolving and not matured as a feature even outside of cars and hence few users use it. When I had my first Qi charging phone, for a few years, even chargers were unavailable. Only once Apple came with wireless charging, we could find wireless chargers everywhere including cars. So Once Apple removes the wired charging, many other manufacturers will follow suit and more and more people will find wireless charging useful in their cars.

It'd be interesting to run this poll a decade after today.
Old 17th April 2021, 08:24   #72
BHPian

Voted Wired!

Most importantly for me, neither my phone (which was a premium phone 3 years back) nor my 7 year old car support it.

Would I miss it on a new car? No, especially as many cars which have wireless charging still do not have a wireless android auto/carplay setup.. Which means you end up using wires anyway. Till that changes, the practicality of wireless charging as a standalone feature will be minimal.

I do see it becoming a default in future, until then happy wiring!
Old 17th April 2021, 08:25   #73
BHPian

Think it is good. Less clutter, kind of like wireless fidelity. But my Creta's pad got unstuck after I left the car in the sun for a few days. Weird. They should have used plastic screws. Why glue.
Old 17th April 2021, 16:35   #74
BHPian

Having wireless charging docks in car might accidently make them future proof.
There are lot of rumours that apple might go port less in few years and once apple does that it won't be long before rest of smartphone makers follow the suit
Considering we keep cars for almost a decade and phones for less than couple of years, it's a better option to have wireless charger baked into the car now
Old 17th April 2021, 20:04   #75
BHPian

Wanted to vote : none

Voted : wired charging

It's just gimich for me. I never charge my phone while driving. I prefer phone with big batteries. Also I have power bank handy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks