Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2007, 12:29   #1
BHPian

Mods for my Petrol Verna

Hi guyz,

Its time I too tried out some mods for my Jan07 Verna XXI. I am starting off with a budget of Rs 1 lac (my annual bonus!). I have very little knowledge about this as the max "mod" I have done so far on my cars is to add/change music system, seat cover and headlight bulbs!

I request the mod experts here to suggest a good starting point for me. My focus will be more on performance, comfort and dynamics rather than on aesthetics. I would not prefer to change the exterior looks of my car much, except for some minimal changes.

I am based in Bangalore and would also like you guyz to recommend some good "mod garages" around here.

Appu.
Old 1st May 2007, 13:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Please keep in mind that any performance mods have the potential to void your warranty. If thats okay with you, there are lots of things which can be done to a petrol engine to improve performance.
Old 1st May 2007, 13:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

First and formost, Add a KnN Conical Filter with CAI, the go ahead with a FFE with headers. After this you can notice quite a difference, if u still want more go ahead with porting and polishing and 3 angle valve job.

The Verna is sold in America(me thinks) with a sport tag and boy it can beat the hell out of other hot hatches, Hyundai had added a few extras there. You can switch to 15inchers for better Handling but your ride will suffer a bit.
Old 1st May 2007, 13:39   #4
BHPian

tsk, I dont mind about breaking warranty.

BUSA, Thanks for your suggestions, eventhough I would appreciate if you can avoid acronyms
Old 1st May 2007, 13:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hunt around for an ECM Remap - the Accent abroad puts out 110 bhp from the same engine, so the Indian Verna is detuned for economy. That alone should give you about 7 bhp over the Indian version. Then follow Busa's advise.

Or for about 3,000 USD you can Turbo your Accent using the Kia Rio kit here:

Netfirms Commerce Pro

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st May 2007 at 14:05.
Old 1st May 2007, 14:12   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Although the hyundai engines aren't overtly responsive to mods Its might pay off to go in for a Turbocharged setup at about 7psi .. Should give you the required kick in the pants ..
Old 1st May 2007, 14:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

How about the tri-phase from Viper? Its sasta sundar and tikau
Old 1st May 2007, 14:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Turbocharging with X Psi n Engine swap seems to be the fav modifications in Bangalore.....Is it so easy as said..?? It took me 2 years to get a K&N filter
I still remember in one of the meets in bangalore a guy asked for modifications in zen.....Engine swap was the answer he got instantly.....

My point is just dont stun the new comers with turbocharging n engine swaps

Last edited by kpzen : 1st May 2007 at 14:43.
Old 1st May 2007, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I still remember in one of the meets in bangalore a guy asked for modifications in zen.....Engine swap was the answer he got instantly.....
Blame on long-haired nutcase who actually carries out these threats like it were just another thing he does everyday.

Or blame the used engine oil he uses for his hair - I'm sure it will have an effect on the stuff inside the head as well.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st May 2007 at 14:40.
Old 1st May 2007, 14:43   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
My point is just dont shock the new comers with turbocharging n engine swaps
Why not ?? When you want a fast car and you have the budget and your willing to experiment ?? Its taken me almost close to 1 year now modding my car .. After spending almost over 2 Lakhs on the engine I have still not yet reached my goal .. A 200+ bhp TCed baleno .. Though the dream is just a few months away , I would have preferred to have all the mods done at one go , provided budget permitted than having to go through all the stages one by one (its really frustrating to keep opening the engine again and again for upgrades) .. Hence the suggestion .. Maybe at the other end of the tunnel there could be someone who wanted the exact same that I want ..

And no one is scaring anyone here , we are just giving options .. At the end of it you can only take the horse to the pond and cant force it to drink water .. Similarly its upto the customer to decide what he wants , after all the options put forth ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeroid
Blame on long-haired nutcase who actually carries out these threats like it were just another thing he does everyday.
Its just not our madman alone in this hunt .. This is basically the trend around the city now .. Almost every car that visits MG's after 11 ooggles of performance mods ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 1st May 2007 at 14:46.
Old 1st May 2007, 15:30   #11
BHPian

I dont think I will straight away swap my engine and gearbox! I would like to do in smaller steps like BUSA mentioned. Do you think "K&N CF with CAI and FFE with headers" will help in Verna? What about tyres and suspension?
Old 1st May 2007, 15:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

appuchan, I would suggest
1. Remap of ECU to get to International accent specifications, so that you get 110bhp
2. K&N/Or some other performance filter, conical. Make sure the pipe has minimal number of bends
3. Free flow

Test all these mods, see how much gain you get.
The best way is to engage 5th gear at 40kmph, and accelerate to 120kmph. Time it.
this gives a good way of judge improvement in low end torque.
For a more sweeping test, try a 20-110(near redline) run in third gear, and a 40-140 run in 4th gear.

These simple mods are the easiest to do. Psycho is a good guy to get in touch with.
Old 1st May 2007, 21:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

appuchan - Since your budget is 1 Lac i would suggest you to go ahead in the following manner. Psycho is the best man to go to.

1) KnN Conical Filter with CAI - around Rs. 5000
2) FFE with 4-2-1 Headers and SS Muffler - Around Rs. 12000
3) Strut Brace - Rs. 2000

Going for a TC is not a easy job, and going for a Engine Swap is not easy as well. Which engine would you go for. You would have to fabricate engine mounts. Since yours is the top of the line Verna it must be having Alloys. Which tyres are you running and what size??
Old 2nd May 2007, 01:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Though you not looking for body mods, but am still posting these pics here.
Though I am not very happy with the finish on the Grill but the rest looks cool and not very overstated.

Old 2nd May 2007, 09:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

dnt go to Automech FF. Get one designed for your needs by the old man , but you may need lots of patience.

OT, we may have a Verna CRDi with Pete's here at TBHP...soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks