Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 17:46   #91
BHPian

Thanks,
I now know exactly where to go
Old 29th January 2009, 14:44   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw this thread while searching for mods for my OHC. Well done GTO! What long term reviews after the mods?
Old 29th January 2009, 18:22   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tejas,

Almost two years down and, get this, ZERO problems with the car or mods. The exhaust install is perfect, no signs of leak or wear & tear either. It has been to Linkway Honda only twice in the last two years (both for scheduled service) and once to Arya Honda for a throttle body cleanup (dirt due to K&N?). Coincidentally, the second service is ongoing as I type this post. I have sent the Vtec out to Linkway for an annual checkup + timing belt change. Cost of timing belt? Only a thousand bucks and they reported the water pump is functioning properly as well. No replacement required.

Strangely, the only work that has cropped up in the car in this period is related to the ICE. One channel of the 944 amp went bust once, and the right rear speaker on another occasion. Gotta love Honda reliability. She is near 70,000 kms and has run the most of the 4 cars in my garage. BUT, it has had the least (nil) malfunctions.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

+1 to reliability. that engine just won't give up!!. didn't know that k&n will add dirt to intakes. I am still not able to change the speakers. but installing sunfilm for 10k is really worth it. this is my first summer in the new films.
just read a post of mine requesting your old OE alloys when you changed yours. I realise that i was lucky not to buy those. already gone through one set and running on second set. will stop now. no hijacking!!!!
no...automech is good value for money. running for a year or so (spitting more exhaust due to turbo) and still doing good.
is timing belt replaced on age or no of miles? is it safe to assume that condition is good if there are no cracks?
Old 29th January 2009, 23:23   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, thanks. Hearing your report, it gives me more confidence with my car.
Great write up by the way...!
So, will you be there for the OHC meet this Sunday?
Old 30th January 2009, 00:15   #96
BHPian

really cool makeover !!

OH MAN !!

i purchased an OHC in year 2000 , since then it has clocked more than 2,40,000 kms till date , but i don't drive it any more , because i'm using my other cars , the only change it got was an engine swap from normal 1.5 to VTEC , but now , looking at your car , i think , ITS TIME FOR AN OVERHAUL !! , would need your advices though
Old 30th January 2009, 00:21   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33 View Post
OH MAN !!

i purchased an OHC in year 2000 , since then it has clocked more than 2,40,000 kms till date , but i don't drive it any more , because i'm using my other cars , the only change it got was an engine swap from normal 1.5 to VTEC , but now , looking at your car , i think , ITS TIME FOR AN OVERHAUL !! , would need your advices though
2,40,000!

Yours must be the most driven OHC around and will be the most satisfying overhaul that will be done!
Old 30th January 2009, 00:31   #98
Senior - BHPian

GTO, good to hear your VTEC is working as reliably with the mods as before. How about a dyno run to chart the improved bhp/torque curves with headers, FFE and K&N (have been contemplating similar mods on my Lancer) ?
Old 30th January 2009, 00:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
2,40,000!

Yours must be the most driven OHC around and will be the most satisfying overhaul that will be done!

Yes my dear friend , 2,40,000 kms !! i will try to post a pic of the speedo , as of now , i'm not sure whether i would go for some mild mods or just would get a denting and painting job done , but muzaffarnagar in U.P. is a BAKWAAS place , i'm thinking of getting the work done in new delhi , as my engine swap was also carried out in new delhi .

Quote:
2,40,000!

Tejas , i got a suzuki zen which has done more than 1,86,000 kms , its a 2003 model ,

i also have a suzuki swift DDIS , which has clocked around 72,000 kms in one year and two months

Last edited by aah78 : 30th January 2009 at 02:20. Reason: Posts merged (20 min rule).
Old 30th January 2009, 02:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gotta love Honda reliability. She is near 70,000 kms and has run the most of the 4 cars in my garage. BUT, it has had the least (nil) malfunctions.
How about the shocks? Ours was shot by the time we got to 65K ( and you have low profile tires)
Old 30th January 2009, 12:28   #101
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
didn't know that k&n will add dirt to intakes.
Oily K&N CAI filters are known to make the intake dirty. Frankly, if it weren't for the sound, I'd dump the K&N for a stock. Too many reasons : Frequent cleaning, caution in the monsoons etc. etc. Stock air-filters are pretty cheap, even changing them once a year won't pinch.

Quote:
is timing belt replaced on age or no of miles? is it safe to assume that condition is good if there are no cracks?
Linkway didn't see the need to change the timing belt. However, changing the belt at 70,000 kms (or in the whereabouts) is a safe practice.

Quote:
So, will you be there for the OHC meet this Sunday?
Mostly yes.

Quote:
the only change it got was an engine swap from normal 1.5 to VTEC
How much had the 1.5 run before you got it swapped with the Vtec engine? Was it because the 1.5 went bust? Or....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
How about a dyno run to chart the improved bhp/torque curves with headers, FFE and K&N (have been contemplating similar mods on my Lancer) ?
What improvement, man! I don't expect anymore than a marginal increase on the stock 106 horses. The sound is to die for while throttle response is sharper as well. I think, maybe another 5 - 6 horses added? Tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How about the shocks? Ours was shot by the time we got to 65K ( and you have low profile tires)
Not yet Linkway checked my suspension and gave it the green signal. That said, at nearly 70K, it certainly is not as *tight* as it used to be (too soft now), and is past the period of optimal performance. I did contemplate paying for the standard Honda suspension kit (about 13 - 15K), then thought of considering after-market options. Probably get it overhauled this year.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2009 at 12:31.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:22   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OH MAN !!

curious to know how much u spent for that change from 1.5 to VTEC. i am hearing this for the first time someone has done that. and where did u get it done ? at the A.S.S. ?

reliability is a given as far as HONDA is concerned. at 75k the engine atleast feels as good as new. ( got a "certificate" from autopsyche that mine was one of the best OHCs he has driven so far.. heh heh )

Last edited by narayan : 30th January 2009 at 16:24.
Old 30th January 2009, 20:08   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
curious to know how much u spent for that change from 1.5 to VTEC. i am hearing this for the first time someone has done that. and where did u get it done ? at the A.S.S. ?
It's very simple and done quite often. You need to change the 1.5 head with the vtec one with the solenoid, oil pump, electricals, gasket, etc and viola! She a VTEC! You will need to source a VTEC head form someone though... The engine of 1.5exi and vtec is the same.

The A.S.S. won't do it.

Should cost you 30k and you can get 8k back for your old head.

I'm planning to do the same to my car as soon as i find a good replacement.
Old 30th January 2009, 20:26   #104
BHPian

I think you forgot to add the ECU.
Old 30th January 2009, 20:43   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
I think you forgot to add the ECU.
ya... i guess the etc part took care of it!

See you on sunday!

Most Viewed