Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2021, 11:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Does upsizing wiper blades really help?

Standard size on my ecosport is 22" & 16" and I have been using 24" & 16", with no issues. Slightly more coverage on the driver side is the benefit. One size more and both the wipers will hit each other.
BhayanaV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 12:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Some elementary physics applied to the windshield wiper blade .
From common understanding, more pressure helps the edge push more firmly against the windshield, which should equate to better wiping performance.
Nice application of elementary physics, the only assumption I am not comfortable here is quoted above; material conformability ties in with the selection of the rubber too, and its mechanical properties that follow.
gopa99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 17:29   #18
BHPian

The theory works if we assume that the bigger size blades exert the same force on the spring as the OEM ones. As per Mr. Newton, every action = equal and opposite reaction, so if bigger size blades exert more force on spring, then spring too exerts equal force on it. This goes on until the spring breaks or looses its natural stiffness.
Old 24th May 2021, 18:04   #19
BHPian

@Anurag
You can definitely go for a size bigger, ample of room to go for a bigger wiper on the ertiga. Since you have the creta you could just swap and check and take a call.
Regards,
Manoj.
Old 24th May 2021, 19:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Also just before the onset of rains (and whenever possible during monsoons) I prefer to apply hydrophobic spray/gel. End result : clear visibility.
Could you please link us to your tried and tested product? Thanks in advance!
Old 24th May 2021, 19:58   #21
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I always have two sets of wiper blades. I fix the best one before the onset of the monsoon (in the month of June) and change it with the other one in the month of December. When the rubber becomes hard, I go for a new pair and always stick to OEM size.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 15:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
......So, why do we & why should we, still upsize the wipers?
Non availability! My First gen Ford figo has a 10 inch wiper blade as rear wiper. I searched a lot, but couldn't source a good wiper in that dimension. So upgraded to 12" and is happy with the extra sweep area.
Sedate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 15:26   #23
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Very valid arguments put up by everyone. It could be that the stock size seemed inadequate for me. As someone who doesn't want to overspend on a consumable item especially in a dry and hot climate which accelerates deterioration of rubber, I have been using upsized blades since the last 3 years on my Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Non availability! My First gen Ford figo has a 10 inch wiper blade as rear wiper. I searched a lot, but couldn't source a good wiper in that dimension. So upgraded to 12" and is happy with the extra sweep area.
A few other reasons I could think of:
- Misleading info available online
Does upsizing wiper blades really help?-offer.jpg
Online sellers have 24"(D)/21"(P) set shown as a compatible set for my car which has the stock size of 20"(D)/20"(P). It might be the only car which has equal length blades (except for old Jeeps), which is an odd combo leading to the next reason...
- Upsized combo usually priced better
An upsized set of blades is available for 300-400 bucks for my car whereas the stock set is not only difficult to find in the listings, it is also more expensive in most cases. The stock set from the costs 1,400 bucks from the ASC and ~ 600 bucks outside.
- Dashcam and sticker coverage
Name:  pattern.png
Views: 950
Size:  18.9 KB
Although I wasn't a victim of this, but some users might feel the need to upsize in order to sweep over the dashcam. With the increase in number of dashcam users, it is hard to ignore the need for better windshield coverage. It also helps sweep over stickers which I need to keep clean for the sake of pointing out to them to concerned persons.
If you see the sweep pattern above, my co-passengers, usually my wife is not very happy with it even after the upsize, due to the dirty unswept area (top left corner when viewing from inside) being directly in her field of vision.
Old 8th July 2021, 12:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Could you please link us to your tried and tested product? Thanks in advance!
Apologies for the delay. I somehow missed your quoted post.
This is the one I have.

Does upsizing wiper blades really help?-bullsone-glass-treatment.jpeg
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed