Noise, noise & more noise 11 14.86%
Don't care, as long as the noise translates to faster movement. 36 48.65%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2007, 16:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
vid, darling, my conical's huuge. You'll understand when you see it. Shall try to post some pics soon if I get the time. I think I junked my OE airbox when I installed the conical, so that idea goes out the window.
Sorry Elf, but this got me rolling on the floor. Y'know, read out of context... <wink> <wink>

Getting serious <fighting against the guffaw>, isn't there some kinda padding that you can get for the inside of the hood that will reduce the noise somewhat? And I thought your FFE was tuned for no noise in traffic? Can the noise be lowered somewhat with some steel-wool packed in the end-can? (I read this somewhere, so don't kill me if I'm wrong -- boy I should not be slumming in the engine-vengine section).

Last edited by hydrashok : 5th May 2007 at 16:40.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:46   #17
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Why did you get married then ? ...
N_C, truer words were never spoken. Lost power & gained noise.
Quote:
... Kept him around ? Why ? You thought you would not get a air conditioned cab in the evening to go back home ? How much did the waiting alone cost you ? Take out the waiting charge and how much does it come to, the journey to and fro I mean ? Should be around the 600 bucks mark. ...
Kept him around because I didn't want to bother with getting a fresh one & giving him more directions. I'M TIRED, remember? And yes, it cost me around 350 bucks one way.

hydrashok, you're a pervert! And it's a typo. It's supposed to read as "cylindrical", not "conical".

My FFE is tuned to be silent below 3000 RPM. The intake growl's what irritates me.

Can somebody also find me a more cost-effective solution to Wuerth or Dynamat for damping external sound?
Old 5th May 2007, 16:49   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody also find me a more cost-effective solution to Wuerth or Dynamat for damping external sound?
American dynamic. You will need atleast 8K to damp the car. I'm in the process of requesting for a rather large quantity for Navin, from bangalore. let me know.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:58   #19
Team-BHP Support

elf, best solution is to get rid of your cylinder (you never knew how to use it anyways) and reinstall the stock airbox. End of your cars noise problem. Now...if only it was as easy to get rid of your noise problem. Maybe I should start a thread for that too....
Old 5th May 2007, 16:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Elf, that is the primary reason I never installed a filter on my car. I too find the intake noise very irritating. My suggestion would be to remove it completely or damp the firewall from the cabin side & engine bay side both it might reduce the sound to some extent. And from what I remember your car has quite a lot of intake roar, so I can understand your frustation.

P.S. Why not plonk in a Reva engine?
Old 5th May 2007, 17:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Take it out, and go stock airbox. Use KNN replacement filter if you have to. Plumb from underneath the stock airbox to the fenders or somewhere for fresh air. Or just take your KNN out and go stock. You aren't going to lose some mega HP numbers.
Old 5th May 2007, 19:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was just wondering how many others felt this way, & if anybody had any non-funny inputs to get there.
I found the noise intrusive and removed the K&N from my Dicor. Its very annoying if you're tired and just want to cruise in peace and listen to some music.

Its funny that you should be talking about non-funny inputs, though.
Old 5th May 2007, 20:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey Elf, did you read this ?
Quote:
If nothing works - take a nice set of EAR PLUGS and stuff your ears and drive.
Or maybe you sing along while driving...oops wait you going to need the ear plugs then too.
Old 5th May 2007, 20:54   #24
elf
BANNED

I give up. Everybody wants to be a comedian.

Bring it on.
Old 5th May 2007, 20:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Elf i think you can get a Carbon Fiber Hood, since it will be having more strenght the noise will be lesser. You should also consider sound deading using Dynamate, etc. Does your Lancer have sound deading on the hood like most diesels have??

P.S The Intake noise of the Lancers with KnN is the highest. Another member AP.... had complained off the same.
Old 5th May 2007, 21:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Elf i think you can get a Carbon Fiber Hood, since it will be having more strenght the noise will be lesser. You should also consider sound deading using Dynamate, etc. Does your Lancer have sound deading on the hood like most diesels have??

P.S The Intake noise of the Lancers with KnN is the highest. Another member AP.... had complained off the same.
ummm BUSA his sound is from inside the cabin not outside. the carbon fiberhood or the padding on the bonnet will not reduce the noise inside the cabin.

As Ishan said damping on both sides of the firewall inside and outside. best choice is to go for OE airbox.

why dont you flick Sam's and put in your huge cylindrical/conical one in his car.

And what is dynamate?????
Old 5th May 2007, 21:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Elf i think you can get a Carbon Fiber Hood, since it will be having more strenght the noise will be lesser.
Now I'm not an expert but I doubt that a CF hood would make a difference to the in-cabin noise. Don't know about strength (CF is very very strong, yes) being proportional to sound-absorption but I doubt there is any link in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
And what is dynamate?????
Dynamat, sound absorption & damping material. Check the ICE section for more details.

Quote:
I give up. Everybody wants to be a comedian.
Look who's talking
Old 5th May 2007, 21:48   #28
elf
BANNED

Quote:
... Does your Lancer have sound deading on the hood like most diesels have?? ...
Diesel??!!! Diesel??!!!

Et tu, Busae?
Old 5th May 2007, 21:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
ummm BUSA his sound is from inside the cabin not outside.
Because

Quote:
Or maybe you sing along while driving...oops wait you going to need the ear plugs then too.

Figure it out, elf. They think you need a Dynamat(e)
Old 5th May 2007, 22:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I don't use too many smilee's
It shows!

Quote:
I just want silence & power. Lots of both.
Shouldn't have bought a Lancer then, na?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks