Don't care, as long as the noise translates to faster movement. 36 48.65%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2007, 15:48   #1
elf
BANNED

Oh Shut Up! - Intake Growl

Yes shut up.

I'm referring to the intake growl of my car.

For those of you that don't know, I've got a K&N Universal Air filter - a big cylinder instead of the smaller conical ones prevalent nowadays. It doesn't have a heat shroud, & when I rev past 4000 RPM, she snarls like a wild beast. Which, when coupled with the free-flow exhaust, makes quite a racket.

A blip on the throttle & the ensuing roar works wonders for shooing away idiot putt-puttee-wallahs & autorickshaw-wallahs, & also when one wishes to draw astonished looks from unsuspecting bystanders & passing motorists, but when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic - "Oh Shut Up!".

In all fairness, I have been a bit stressed lately, driving home northbound in peak traffic from South Bombay, & the darn sound's been getting on my nerves.

Am now looking to make the car totally silent. Shall try to keep all the loud bits doing their job, but my new quest is "no awaaj".

Was just wondering how many others felt this way, & if anybody had any non-funny inputs to get there.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2007 at 15:59. Reason: You oughta know we wont permit "ar$ewipe" here!
Old 5th May 2007, 15:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

I dont know how far this is possible but I have heard if you put the universal air filter in the OE airbox and do the necessary plumbing the sound does get considerably lesser.

I hope your getting what i'm trying to say.
Old 5th May 2007, 15:56   #3
elf
BANNED

That's for the replacement filter vid. For mine, I'll have to get something fabricated which will pull in cold air & silence the damn thing.

And I have no time for this right now, unfortunately.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:00   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It doesn't have a heat shroud, & when I rev past 4000 RPM, she snarls like a wild beast.
Elf, I dont know if the heat-shield will bring the noise down. Atleast significantly.

Do what I do. When you want the engine sound, let it rip and drool. When you dont want the engine sounds, pump the ICE up! If thats not suitable, just go back to a stock / replacement filter.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

no no not for the replacement filter it's possible for the universal as well. you remember the palio which had the green filter with the cover around it and the pipe at the other end to suck the air. similar to that but with the OE airbox around the universal.

Or go back to the complete stock setup till your past the midlife crisis.

It's not like it makes that much difference to performance besides monsoon is around the corner.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:02   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Also, you can try going for a real CAI plumbing job (from the bumper).

Quote:
driving home northbound in peak traffic from South Bombay,
Gotta love evening rush hour traffic, eh?
Old 5th May 2007, 16:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Was just wondering if anybody had any non-funny inputs to get there.
You don't deserve any non-funny inputs, if you ask me. The way you go and ruin people's thread with that thing you call humour.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:09   #8
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
no no not for the replacement filter it's possible for the universal as well. ... similar to that but with the OE airbox around the universal.

Or go back to the complete stock setup till your past the midlife crisis. ...
vid, darling, my conical's huuge. You'll understand when you see it. Shall try to post some pics soon if I get the time. I think I junked my OE airbox when I installed the conical, so that idea goes out the window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, you can try going for a real CAI plumbing job (from the bumper). ...
Was planning to GTO, since a long, long time. Just haven't found myself even a bit free since the past 5 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... Gotta love evening rush hour traffic, eh?
I was actually insane enough to like it once upon a time. Not any more.

And vid - midlife crises cause you to desire louder vehicles with a yearning for your youth. Not the silent senility of old age that I'm currently seeking.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:11   #9
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You don't deserve any non-funny inputs, if you ask me. The way you go and ruin people's thread with that thing you call humour.
Hah! (Poop) Pot calling (sleek Braun designed) Kettle black!

Last edited by elf : 5th May 2007 at 16:14.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Y
In all fairness, I have been a bit stressed lately, driving home northbound in peak traffic from South Bombay, & the darn sound's been getting on my nerves.

my new quest is "no awaaj".
Elf,

If I was you i would grab an i-pod and a nice pair of headphones, catch an A/C cab or a A/C bus , into and out of town.

Put those headphones on and sheer bliss. No stress of driving too.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

So let's get this straight. You buy a Lancer, a wonderful, noiseless, smooth car. Then you throw away important engine parts, designed by japanese engineers and replace it with oddly shaped parts. Conical, to say the least.

Then you use the resultant noise to drive away autorickshaws and putt-puttees.

But you're constantly stuck in traffic and are forced to drive painfully slow. And the noise of your oddly shaped engine part irks you. The one you put in of your own free will under no duress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Hah! (Poop) Pot calling (sleek Braun designed) Kettle black!
I think you mixed up your spelling of cattle. But I must say, it takes a man to admit he's a silly cow.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 5th May 2007 at 16:26.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:26   #12
elf
BANNED

Guys, music doesn't cut it for me today. The ICE stays off all the way.

I just want silence & power. Lots of both.

Silence - Think Rolls Royce. Or (yukk) Lexus.
Power - think Carrerra GT. Or Viper. No, not neechu or C3PO.

I took an airconned cab the other day. Kept him around for the day & then came back. Cost me 1300 bucks. My car costs me approximately 500 bucks when I drive myself. And it happens every day, so the costs are not comparable.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So let's get this straight. You buy a Lancer, a wonderful, noiseless, smooth car. Then you throw away important engine parts, designed by japanese engineers and replace it with oddly shaped parts. Conical, to say the least.

Then you use the resultant noise to drive away autorickshaws and putt-puttees.

But you're constantly stuck in traffic and are forced to drive painfully slow. And the noise of your oddly shaped engine part irks you. The one you put in of your own free will under no duress.
I don't use too many smilee's but this post of Sam's deserves me using the allowed quota!!

Old 5th May 2007, 16:32   #14
elf
BANNED

Quote:
So let's get this straight. You buy a Lancer, a wonderful, noiseless, smooth car. Then you throw away important engine parts, designed by japanese engineers and replace it with oddly shaped parts. ...
Yes. In my eternal quest for more power. Muuaahaahahhahhahhhaaa! (mad maniacal laugh).

Quote:
... Conical, to say the least. ...
Not conical. Cylindrical. Which probably means more noise.

Quote:
... Then you use the resultant noise to drive away autorickshaws and putt-puttees. ...
Byproduct. Useful, but nevertheless a byproduct.
Quote:
... I think you mixed up your spelling of cattle. ...
And I think you ... naaaah fuhgeddit!
Old 5th May 2007, 16:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just want silence & power. Lots of both.
Why did you get married then ? What you go through on road is better than what you go through at home or is it ?

Quote:
I took an airconned cab the other day. Kept him around for the day & then came back. Cost me 1300 bucks. My car costs me approximately 500 bucks when I drive myself. And it happens every day, so the costs are not comparable.
Kept him around ? Why ? You thought you would not get a air conditioned cab in the evening to go back home ? How much did the waiting alone cost you ? Take out the waiting charge and how much does it come to, the journey to and fro I mean ? Should be around the 600 bucks mark.

If nothing works - take a nice set of EAR PLUGS and stuff your ears and drive.

Most Viewed