Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2007, 21:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Matiz making sound as though a K&n filter is present

There is this strange noise from my car[daewoo matiz],somewhat like a K & N filter kind of noise when I am accelerating.This noise is not felt when the car is just idling.The first thing I did was get the exhaust checked by a mechanic ,he did not find anything wrong so I went to a person specializing in car exhaust's and he too did not find anything wrong with the exhaust and said that maybe the air filter was clogged.

This is the OE air filter replaced on a very recent service[3 months back],anyways my mechanic had the air filter cleaned by getting air blown on to it.But that too did not solve the problem and the car still makes noise.

I don't feel any drop in mileage and so also no problem with accelerating,however there is no improvement[just for the record].The source of the noise is a mystery for both my mechanic and me ,could anybody help.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 5th May 2007 at 21:06.
Old 5th May 2007, 21:06   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Its quite hard to identify the noise you are talking about .. Do check if you in any case have alternator whine due to stereo or something ..
Old 5th May 2007, 21:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rahul, I am kind of illiterate when it comes to technical details of car's so please forgive me if this sounds foolish.

Is it possible to have alternator whine even if the stereo is switched off,also what exactly is alternator whine.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 5th May 2007 at 21:16.
Old 5th May 2007, 21:21   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Maybe this should help :
Noise Prevention
Old 5th May 2007, 21:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

From the above linky,I am slightly confused it does not sound like a siren,the sound is more on the grounds of leaking exhaust kind,but yes the sound does increase with the speed of the engine and also when the car is driven for a while.
Quote:
For those of you who are lucky enough never to have been exposed to alternator whine, it sounds like a miniature siren that rises in pitch with the speed of the engine
Old 5th May 2007, 23:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure that this is not (a) a wheel bearing wear-out hum, or (b) worn out timing bearing, or (c) Timing Belt tensioner.

The last-named can cause noise at higher speeds. I have run a Matiz for 2,60,000 kms (still my second car) and I have chnaged the tensioner at least 3 times. Exhaust noise is very tell-tale, you will have to diagnose whether this is a metallic, plastic, scraping or air noise.

Kumar
Old 6th May 2007, 00:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a wheel bearing problem. You will not hear the noise at low speeds or when idling. But when you accelerate it will sort of sound like a sports car !! Had the same problem and got it replaced. After that it was fine.
Old 6th May 2007, 02:12   #8
elf
BANNED

Rahul, it seems that you may have an intake leak.

Check your intake hose, airbox & finally, your filter element. The service chappie may have blown a hole or torn the element in some way whilst cleaning it, leading to the intake growl you hear.
Old 6th May 2007, 02:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

Rev engine at neutral, listen for sound.
Switch on AC and then rev, listen for sound.
If the sound lessens or sounds muted with AC on, or changes note, its the AC compressor bearing.
Old 6th May 2007, 11:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone,today being an off day cannot get anything done.So will report in a few days time.
Old 6th May 2007, 11:32   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rahul, best thing to do would be to take it to a Chevy Spark dealer and have it checked. Chevy India had claimed that they will offer support to Matiz owners also. Going to the right place will save you a lot of time eventually.
Old 6th May 2007, 13:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

From the description it does sound like an intake leak. It could be that the plumbing could have developed leak due to loose fitting or crack. The leak might be after the filterbox or before.. since you can't hear it at idle it might be before the airbox.

I had a similar sounding Maruti when i cut the round airfilter box to exposed the round filter.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2007, 12:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry folks but I just Did not get any time the whole of last week,the car was unused for this period will go to the garage tomorrow.
Old 16th May 2007, 05:58   #14
BANNED

I'm having the same problem on my 6 year old Alto(40K KMS) and the service center is insisting for the complete replacement of the exhaust system. Should I go for it since the vehicle is about 6 years old ?

The sound is present both during idling & running.
Old 5th June 2007, 13:18   #15
BHPian

Check for holes on your throttle pipe or hose. Maybe the problem lies there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks