Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2007, 05:13   #1

OT: Number plate question

HI all,

Firstly, I live in the US. But I thought if anyone knew the answer to this it would be someone on this forum.

I am looking for Indian number plates. Really, the actual content doesn't matter but something that looks Authentic. Here in the US (in most states) we don't need a front license plate so I wanted to put an Indian plate on there. If anyone know of where I can get one (either new or used) that looks authentic, please let me know.

I was just down in Goa and Bombay last month and there are some cool looking plates, however they don't seem standard so I'm sure they're not all made officially by a govt agency.

They don't have to be real, just look real ;-)

Any help/info would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

KC
Old 6th May 2007, 11:30   #2
elf
BANNED

What do you mean by 'Indian number plates'? Are you referring to the numbers & letters written in Hindi (Devnagiri script) or the fancy plates with loads of junk on them (kissing doves, 'dhoom', 'faster', 'speedo', etc.)?

Most of them cost about 350 rupees for a pair, so one shouldn't be more than 200 bucks (about 5 dollars).

Please let us know what you want. I'm sure somebody can have it made & sent to you there.
Old 6th May 2007, 11:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

kebuchan,

You could check out these new high-security number plates set the become the norm in a few months time: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/411386-post17.html

They cost 800 bucks a pair and come in a standard size for all cars and bikes
Old 6th May 2007, 12:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

well, as of now, really anything can pass off as an indian number plate...but the most widely accepted one is a standard size (different in front and rear) white back ground with clearly legible black font, with numbers in Arabic (!) system, and letters in roman script. Or you can be a real *&#%$&@%# and write your numbers in alphabet font like 8055 reading BOSS...

Im told theres a supreme court ruling stating a car can retain the earlier white font on black plate system of the british raj, which I am doing on all my classics...can anyone back me up on this? On my last visit to Hyderabad I saw atleast 20% of cars with this old plate scheme.

Getting back to the point, all you need to do is make a plate to your size in any of these colour combos, reading anything you want...maybe even with the first 2 alphabets from the state you want, then numbers of your choice...

OT the first supoosedly registered car in India belonged to the Maharaja of Patiala...the plate read "O"!!
Old 6th May 2007, 14:13   #5

Hey guys,

No I'm not looking for flowers or doves or any of that stuff, that's available here everywhere. :-)

The high security plates look cool, especially with the hologram chakra on it. I didn't realise they were out already, thought it was still in the planning stage.

This is probably old news to you guys but this site is has some good info (for me):

Google Image Result for http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/5/51/270px-Indianlicenceplate.jpg

Was thinking of something like this:

MH 01 CA 1002 or GA 01 C XA 2039

Some of them have "IND" on the left edge with blue background and white lettering.

If any of you guys can help me out with this that would great!.. Please pm me and I can give you my email etc.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 6th May 2007, 15:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey there i have a spare set lying with me...the standard embossed ones....the printing guy got my registration number wrong....so i don't have much use for them.

Check post # 23 in the link. Theres a picture of those plates.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...s-india-2.html

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 6th May 2007 at 15:08.
Old 6th May 2007, 15:21   #7

Drifter,

What's that design on the right 1/3 of the plate? Something custom?

I guess there aren't spaces or hyphens in the new plate design? Just all one word?

Kevin
Old 6th May 2007, 19:40   #8
BHPian

Why would you want to put the Indian Registration Number on your ride in US..! Could you enlighten us on it ?

Basically you are looking for Embossed Security Number plate which will cost you around 550 or so in Delhi from Utsav.

You could also search for UTSAV on the net and see if they can directly deliver to you.
Old 6th May 2007, 21:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

@kebuchan: No no I've just used liquify effect on photoshop, because the number on that particular plate is my correct registration number and this is a public forum. Rest assured, the plates liquified portion of the plate is the same as the rest of it.

Drifter
Old 7th May 2007, 01:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

Old news huh! Well maybe for some... but guys... are you really aware of the practices mentioned in this article? We have such numbering schemes here in India?

That plate (KA 19 P 8488) has a description saying the P denotes its a Private vehicle! Huh?! Is it so?

The article says that in the numbering system for Delhi, S stands for Two Wheelers, R for Autos, C for cars!!! Never ever heard about the existence of such varied numbering schemes in this country.

There are many other such peculiar things mentioned for Mumbai, West Bengal etc...

Last edited by Zappo : 7th May 2007 at 01:56.
Old 7th May 2007, 01:55   #11

Wolfinstein: hmmm let me see....

I live in the US now, brought up in Canada BUT I'm Indian... and the area that I live in is predominately white American so I'd like to have some things that "show" that are Indian.

'sides that I also think the plates that I saw when I was down there last month looked really cool (compared to the stunted plates (6 char) that we use here).

They don't have to be the high security ones b/c those aren't the ones that I saw anyway but if I can get my hands on one of those with the hologram on it, I figure I might as well go for it.

Ok, that's it Wolf - aur kutch?

Kevin

Most Viewed