Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your type of modifications?
Functional 209 73.85%
Aesthetic 129 45.58%
Performance 152 53.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 09:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: What kind of a modifications do you prefer? Functional, aesthetic or performance

I love to do loads of modifications on my cars. Unfortunately the laws are so bad in India, that we even can't have a 20% tint. Having a small amount of tint can easily save fuel when the air conditioner is on.
On the other hand, some modifications also void the warranty or become an unreasonable reason to void the warranty. Eg. Fitting slightly wider tyres will void the warranty for suspension if at all anything happens.
Old 13th June 2021, 09:56   #17
BHPian

Re: What kind of a modifications do you prefer? Functional, aesthetic or performance

Can we not have an option "I keep my car stock" ? I think there would be many users who would not like to change the way the car came from the factory, for whatever reasons! I am one of them
Old 13th June 2021, 17:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Voted for all three

But what holds me back is mainly the monetary aspect of losing warranty on a new car and also road rules from the MVD. If money is not a concern it would be nice to work on all aspects of a car.

Functional Mods would include light upgrades, better music system, dash cams, sound insulations etc.
Aesthetic Mods would include a custom paint job with subtle graphics, some subtle stickers, spoilers and gorgeous alloy wheels.
Performance Mods would include a tyre upgrade, suspension, engine remapping, exhaust and air intake systems.

If one has the money and multiple cars in the garage, it would be a joy to work extensively on a project car. This can also be a track only car and not intended for road usage. For my everyday usage on road car, I would mainly prefer stock.
Very true, that too the way the MVD was behind this famous Isuzu VMax owned by Babs. This car had the most mods as far as I know in recent times.
What kind of a modifications do you prefer? Functional, aesthetic or performance-screenshot_20210613172336__01.jpg

As I have only one car in my house, I have been modding based on Functional mods. Performance mods I'd love to do but as you also mentioned it's best when you have multiple cars so that each car servers a purpose and the one to go along with the family is kept stock in terms of performance mods.

If money isn't a factor and the rules are more accommodating to modders, we would have seen all types of mods on 95% of the cars on the road today.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 17:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Chose performance. My secret desire is to own a sleeper car or bike, outwardly indistinguishable from the others.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 09:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Voted Aesthetic. My XUV3OO has most of the functional elements I wanted in a car. So, some aesthetics that enhance the beauty of the car and some for protection. The TPMS, reverse cam, auto headlamps, auto wipers, steering modes, dual zone AC all are pretty much there. So, some aesthetics that can also be a little functional.
Old 15th June 2021, 09:35   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

My superb had a few mods:
-RCD 330G (functional)
-LED Tail lamps (asthetic)
-Reverse camera (functional)
-Shark fin antenna (asthetic)
About the Vento:
-Auto headlight switch (built-in photoelectric sensor) (functional and asthetic)
-6000k LED foglamps to match the headlights (functional and asthetic)
Planned mods:
-Stage 1 Tune (performance)
-TVS DQ200 torque limit extending map (performance)
-Fatter 205 section tyres (performance and asthetic)
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:57   #22
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

On the only car I own till now, not exactly mods, but functional accessories have been added and those too are mostly kept in the boot.

-Tow strap
-D-shackles
-Jumper cable
-Tyre Inflator
-Dash Cam
-Cellphone Charger
-Reflective screen for parking in the sun
-Sun shades for windows
-Wheel arch cladding

Toying with the idea of Reusable Air Filter (Performance) and Sparco Terra alloys (Aesthetic) for now.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:03   #23
BHPian

I'm not much inclined to functional mods, my preferences will be aesthetic and performance. I would prefer to get the below mods done.

1. Alloys
2. Tyre
3. Brakes
4. Remap
5. Suspension
6. Chrome Delete
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:05   #24
BHPian

I prefer the brain factor than heart factor, so Im always against just aesthetic modifications. How it looks make no difference in the way it performs or adds to the resale value of the vehicle. The other prime reason being the lack of knowledge with the authorities.

All my vehicles in the past and present have been sleepers in one or other way, will look nothing different than any other vehicle (may be a little more clean or dirty). A common eye has never noticed, however ever when driven there will be heaps of difference. Example., my 1st gen Figo has 2 layers of cabin insulation, both interior and engine bay will be as silent as a pricy sedan. The same with my 2017 bought Thar, OE engine mounts have been replaced with that of 2nd generation 3 ltr Endeavour. All the floor holes have been sealed and there's close to 3/4 inch of insulation. The cabin sound and low rpm boom is fairly reduced. Front shocks are from 1st gen Endeavour and rear ones are from Xylo high series, rear has Janniah springs, so the suspension fade is nil and unsettled ride is at minimum, @30psi the ride is very good. The OE accessory hard top is the only down side which is designed and fabricated below average (i did not want to use the word pathetic) but sold at a premium cost.

The final output of these mods are that the tiredness owing to sound and vibration is well reduced for highway drives. An 8 hour drive in Figo will still keep you fresh and occupants can sleep well with little disturbance.

Thar will feel close to mid variant Xylo in terms of cabin sound and vibration. Had the hard top been better engineered the cabin sound would have improved far more than what it is now.

And yes, both have Dieseltronic box plugged in which makes a good difference in torque and fuel efficiency.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th July 2021 at 17:23. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Living2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:16   #25
BHPian

I would go for the Functional mods:

- Headlamp upgrade along with the relays
- Extra Fog Lamps for highway drives
- ICE upgrade if required

Aesthetics would be a simple sticker job (Team bhp or similar) and I prefer the whole car as stock. Alloys would be the only one I would see if I am holding the car for a longer time.

Performance I would try changing out the filters or something simple, without pounding the engine too much. Since I currently have a diesel, I prefer the stock tuning (Mhawk) as Mahindra tunes diesels quite brilliantly.
Old 15th June 2021, 11:30   #26
BHPian

My philosophy with regards to mods is: wait for it to wear out. Then upgrade.

That way, I'm able to utilise the value of what I've paid for, and when parts need replacement, I pay a little more (lot more in case of audio upgrades) and get much better parts thereby infusing a new lease of life. That makes sense because I keep my cars until they become khatara.

It's mostly performance and functional mods for me. I don't invest in aesthetic mods for the following reasons:
1. Other people see it more than me. My cars are parked in the basement, not in front of my house. So I spend 99% of time inside the car.
2. It's very hard to make your car look better in a way that still fits with the design of the rest of the car. Most of the time it ends up looking odd.
3. I only buy good looking cars.
4. Invites the police to stop you.

Most people upgrade their tyres and audio. Which is spot on because that's where manufacturers skimp on the most and it can have a big impact on your experience.

Two other mods that should be on everyone's consideration list are sound dampening and suspension upgrades. These are things you don't know you need until you get them done. Then you think why didn't I do this earlier.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

"None of the above"

That's how I like my cars.
Eddy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:34   #28
BHPian

I would explore the option of getting a performance remap but then I would prefer a bone stock car any day, especially if you plan to keep the cars for 10 or more years. IMO, any performance mod is bound to affect the long term reliability of the car and I would not want to jeopardize my overall ownership experience for these performance gains that can be compromised.
Old 15th June 2021, 13:34   #29
BHPian

I think I went with the odd, voted "Aesthetic".

This opinion is solely based on my current car which is a humble NA 1.6L Changan EADO. I am sure there is nothing I can do in terms of performance modification to this car. So I have slapped couple of small stickers on my car and made it "Sporty" (I know the picture of special edition Swift came into your mind while reading this).

Maybe I might vote for Performance if I gift myself a Rapid or Octavia later in India, hopefully!

Last edited by kamilharis : 15th June 2021 at 13:37.
Old 15th June 2021, 14:01   #30

While I always love my cars Bone Stock, a few Aesthetic Mods wouldn't hurt. Black Roof, Shark Fin antenna instead of the regular one does the job for me. That's all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks