Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 18:31   #1
BHPian

Ford launches Dashcams for its cars

My weekends during the lockdown are usually spent pondering about what is the next mod I can do to my car and I was searching for something relating to sync 3 and I found out that Ford offers a DashCam as an OEM accessory in Europe but it's priced on the higher side(about 25k INR/250-270€). This was launched in September 2020 in Europe.

A company named Falcon Electronics Prod is the supplier for Ford/Renault and Dacia for Dashcams and parking solutions.

This is a Ford OEM accessory and for a DIY, it's going to take a lot of time as you need to give connections to the BCM

Sits flush beside the mirror
Ford launches Dashcams for its cars-images-3.jpeg

Front View
Ford launches Dashcams for its cars-images-2.jpeg

The highlights of this Dashcam are:
  • Integration with SYNC3 (can also be used with Ford DashCam App on Android or iOS)
  • 139° wide-angle lens
  • Full 1080 HD resolution with voice recording. Uses a Sony camera with 60fps
  • built-in GPS receiver and G-Force sensor.
  • Parking surveillance recording, including parking bump protection.
  • Ambrella image processor and NXG microprocessor
  • Shipped with 16 GB memory card in the box

Also, you do get a couple of connectors to be connected to the BCM and fuse box to enable power supply constantly.

Dashcam installation (skip to 7:00 to 8:00 for the results

How it works by Ford Ireland

Models covered:
  • Mustang Mach-E 09/2020 –
  • Puma-ST 10/2019 –
  • Puma 10/2019 –
  • Kuga 12/2019 – Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Tourneo Custom 06/2019 –
  • Explorer 08/2019 –
  • Transit Custom 06/2019 –
  • Transit 05/2019 –
  • Ranger 2012 – 01/2019 Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Transit 01/2014 – 04/2019
  • Fiesta-ST 07/2017 – Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Fiesta 07/2017 – Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Focus-ST 04/2018 – Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Focus 04/2018 – Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Ranger 02/2019 – Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • EcoSport 10/2017 – Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Tourneo Custom 02/2018 – 05/2019 Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Transit Custom 02/2018 – 05/2019 Vehicles with SYNC 3
  • Tourneo Connect 06/2018 –
  • Transit Connect 06/2018 –

Basically vehicles with sync 3 have an added advantage with this dashcam.

Only gripe I see is that the loop recording is up to 5 hours with the 16GB memory card and the high asking price. We get Dashcams for half the price or lesser than this though. For those who prefer OEM this seems good(if the prices are reduced though)

However, very few OEM's like BMW offer dashcams as an official accessory. Hope this trend catches up soon in India as it's very useful for our conditions (legal or to protect course or to record road trips)

Source: https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/das...on-with-sync-3

Last edited by jithin23 : 13th June 2021 at 18:58.
jithin23 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 05:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford launches Dashcams for its cars

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 14th June 2021, 07:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
My weekends during the lockdown are usually spent pondering about what is the next mod I can do to my car and I was searching for something relating to sync 3 and I found out that Ford offers a DashCam as an OEM accessory in Europe but it's priced on the higher side(about 25k INR/250-270€). This was launched in September 2020 in Europe.
As an OEM accessory, with all installation done by an official dealer, with complete integration into the vehicle electronic system, this is a very good deal. If they launch it in India for Rs. 25k, it would be a good price if it includes official installation by the dealer and all the features you mentioned. I agree that 25k is still much more (almost 2x) than the aftermarket dashcams, but still, with the complete integration with vehicle systems, and the peace of mind of having done installation through the dealer, this is worth it.

The features mentioned look good for that price.

Quote:
However, very few OEM's like BMW offer dashcams as an official accessory. Hope this trend catches up soon in India as it's very useful for our conditions (legal or to protect course or to record road trips)
Unfortunately, BMW's OEM dashcam is a different (and sad) story altogether. It costs a ridiculous amount of about Rs. 50k (they quote anything from Rs. 70k to 45k; I am ware of some recent quotes of Rs. 50k), and has poor specifications for that price. To make it even worse, the video quality is strictly average, and there are tons of software bugs. This is one BMW accessory that I do NOT recommend to anyone. Hope the Ford dashcam is much better.

Having said that, I still like that this dashcam was installed by the BMW dealer and is very nicely integrated into the vehicle electronics system. It has a lot of "smart" features based on the state of the battery etc. In spite of the poor quality of images, I am happy with its reliability and the peace of the mind - I leave it on all the time and even when car is parked for long period, I do not have to worry about the dashcam draining the battery because of these smart features.

In summary, I would say OEM part, official installation by the dealer, and the integration in the vehicle system are all great things and that makes the Rs. 25k price worth it. But will it be worth it if it was Rs. 50k? Probably not!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 14th June 2021 at 08:05.
Dr.AD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 17:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
The features mentioned look good for that price.

Unfortunately, BMW's OEM dashcam is a different (and sad) story altogether. It costs a ridiculous amount of about Rs. 50k (they quote anything from Rs. 70k to 45k; I am ware of some recent quotes of Rs. 50k), and has poor specifications for that price.

Having said that, I still like that this dashcam was installed by the BMW dealer and is very nicely integrated into the vehicle electronics system. It has a lot of "smart" features based on the state of the battery etc. In spite of the poor quality of images, I am happy with its reliability and the peace of the mind - I leave it on all the time and even when car is parked for long period, I do not have to worry about the dashcam draining the battery because of these smart features.

In summary, I would say OEM part, official installation by the dealer, and the integration in the vehicle system are all great things and that makes the Rs. 25k price worth it. But will it be worth it if it was Rs. 50k? Probably not!
You have summed up the points precisely Doctor! If there's OEM level fit+finish and it's hardwired by the OEM it's always a better option. If Ford launches it in India, I'd definitely consider this as you mentioned the additional smart features you had mentioned about will work flawlessly with the rest of the car's functions.

However as dashcam awareness is present only in a few enthusiast groups and of course Team-BHP, the common car users are not aware of a dashcam or its utility. If one OEM tries to adopt it in their mass market offering, dashcams will definitely gain traction. When a vanity feature like sunroof can get so much traction that people are willing to spend a lakh more only for the sunroof, I think the dashcam will be a hit with the present trend of connected car and remote starting of the engine through the app.

The marketing needs to be like "Dashcam- a car's CCTV".

A wishful thought: If Driver fatigue detection is also present, it can help in reducing the number of road accidents ad some people drive more than their body or vehicle limitation at times.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks