Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Old 30th July 2021, 17:07   #46
BHPian

Default Re: How to run the aircon when engine is off? I want to sleep in my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
I am a 60 plus old female and sleeping in the car

However, I have figured out a way of keeping cool while sleeping in the car. I use 1-1.5 litre ice-bottles wrapped in towels as cuddle toys while sleeping.
Brilliant! If only we could buy bags of ice like in some countries. But your solution of using your car-fridge for creating a store of cold ice for later use takes the cake.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 18:02   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Brilliant! If only we could buy bags of ice like in some countries. But your solution of using your car-fridge for creating a store of cold ice for later use takes the cake.
Thank you. The fridge is capable of cooling upto a negative 18 degrees centigrade which is more than enough to make ice. The temperature can be digitally adjusted upto positive 12 degrees. I use it directly in the car and with a 220v AC to 12v DC adapter at home. Since it has a partition inside, I can use it both as a fridge and a freezer at the same time. I usually strap it down with rachet straps to the back of the rear seats after folding them down.

How to run the aircon when engine is off? I want to sleep in my car-fridge.jpg
Chhanda Das is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 21:11   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I use a compressor driven 12v 45w fridge/freezer to make the ice in my car. I use the ice bottles together with some portable fans and those are more than adequate for sleeping. The fridge is capable of cooling upto a negative 18 degrees centigrade which is more than enough to make ice. The temperature can be digitally adjusted upto positive 12 degrees. I use it directly in the car and with a 220v AC to 12v DC adapter at home. Since it has a partition inside, I can use it both as a fridge and a freezer at the same time. I usually strap it down with rachet straps to the back of the rear seats after folding them down.

Attachment 2185916
Would you please mind sharing details from where you bought it.
Also how much heat does it throw out from the condenser coil; does it hamper AC cooling of Car while on run?
H Karter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 13:44   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Karter View Post
Would you please mind sharing details from where you bought it.
Also how much heat does it throw out from the condenser coil; does it hamper AC cooling of Car while on run?
My car fridge/freezer is a 50 litre one and pushes out approximately the same amount of heat as a decent gaming laptop on full load. And of course, AC cooling will get affected due to this. However, this varies from car to car and the effect is way too small to notice in my 1st generation petrol 1.6 litre Creta. This may also be due to the fact that I have aftermarket ventilated seats/covers installed in my car.

I bought the fridge from Tropicool Car Gadgets Pvt. Ltd also known as Tropicool India who are the importers/dealers in India. They sell both thermoelectric coolers (cheaper, inefficient and mostly useless) as well as compressor-based refrigerators (expensive but worth it). They are based in Pune, Maharashtra. The fridge was made in Italy by IndelB and the compressor was made by Secop (formerly known as Danfoss) compressors who were the pioneers in RV refrigeration and air conditioning. Here is the link to their website ...

https://www.tropicoolindia.com/
Chhanda Das is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 10:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
However, for the sake of discussion, there is a (complicated) workaround.

You could switch your engine-driven compressor to one that is electric.
Many thanks for such a detailed response with photographs. This is a very interesting idea that I will definitely look into.

Quote:
I am a 60 plus old female and sleeping in the car is not an issue for me at all. I have been doing it since the 1980s in my Mark 4 petrol Ambassador and now in my 2017 petrol 1.6 Creta (1st gen).
Many thanks. I, too am above 60 but do not expect any problem with sleeping in the car. I had to do it once long ago, along with the driver and his helper. It was an Omni, but we managed. I have also slept on a plywood plank without a mattress, for a week. And I slept well. So ...

I have a Tropicool thermoelectric cooler-cum-warmer, but it's not much use. Will have to get a compressor-driven micro fridge for the car. A few weeks ago, I eas looking for Zero Breeze dealers in India but could not find any. Will try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, bhpean Rahul Rao who is into automotive A/C manufacturing may have some suggestions, he has something for truck cabs I think.
Thank you very much. I'll contact him.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd August 2021 at 13:10. Reason: Consecutive posts merged. Please see the FAQ for how to MULTI-QUOTE posts.
vox_alienus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox_alienus View Post
Because of Covid and also cost issues, I have been thinking of sleeping in my Polo during my travels. .
If you plan to sleep in the car with its engine running - always be mindful about where you park the car. If you park it in a location with no air circulation, you know that there is the risk of CO poisoning. There are several incidents of unintentional CO poisoning killing occupants of the car - the one I remember the most is the case of 4 software engineers in Chennai who slept to their death while sitting inside a Santro with its AC running. They decided to wait at a water logged street. The water level rose to the underbody of the car, which caused exhaust fumes concentration at the AC's air intake. The poisonous gas made them fall asleep and then it killed them in their sleep.

There are other cases of people keeping a running a generator inside their house at night to avoid theft and then dying in their sleep.

I would never think of sleeping inside a car because I am too paranoid about air quality within the cabin.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st August 2021 at 11:16.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 13:11   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchandap View Post
Ours is beautiful country and it has everything for everyone. For budget travelers like us, there are clean and comfortable budget hotels available for < 1000 INRs. Their location might not be scenic but they serve as a good night halt. During my Dec 20 trip to Rajasthan, I was able to find a hotel on the highway for INR 800/- per night with single occupancy. The city was Udaipur.
Yes, indeed there are cheap hotels and homestays almost everywhere. But those will not be an option if I travel with pets, which I wish to do in future. At present, however, I travel alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If you plan to sleep in the car with its engine running - always be mindful about where you park the car. If you park it in a location with no air circulation, you know that there is the risk of CO poisoning. There are several incidents of unintentional CO poisoning killing occupants of the car - the one I remember the most is the case of 4 software engineers in Chennai who slept to their death while sitting inside a Santro with its AC running.
Very sorry to hear about those people. Thank you. Will keep this in mind. Several others have also warned me of this danger.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd August 2021 at 13:12. Reason: onsecutive posts merged. Please see the FAQ for how to MULTI-QUOTE posts.
Old 14th August 2021, 16:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Rahul Rao who is into automotive A/C manufacturing may have some suggestions, he has something for truck cabs I think.
Had a talk with Anand today, and he told me about this thread.
We have converted truck cabin AC units for standby use. We use either Ningbo Anchor or Guchen DC electric compressors, and put a 24V-65A alternator in place of the compressor
Two additional Amaron deep discharge 180 A batteries complete the job.
The HVAC has a separate fuse box and we change its supply from main battery to our additional batteries. Many truck cabins like Tata Signa and Bharat Benz have cabin Ac units, but drivers prefer open windows for hand signalling while driving, but they want to sleep peacefully with windows up and Ac on when parked, locked cab is safer for them too. We get about 6 hrs during peak heat in the afternoon, and 8 to 12 Hrs during summer nights.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I have slept many times in the car in past years' during peak summers, because of the fantastic electricity supply situation in UttaM Pradesh.
It wasn't as expensive then, because fuel was cheaper, but it is important to keep windows open a wee bit to avoid CO POISONING.

By the way, which would be the best car, say within a 25 lakh on road bracket, for 2 people to sleep in with max. possible comfort?
I myself have done it during my last trip to my village in one of the remotest location in Bihar. Although the condition of electricity is far better than what we have in some parts of Delhi/NCR(I stay in Faridabad, Sector-49 and we have power cuts for almost 7-8 hours in a day), but the heat that night was unbearable and it was humid as well. The cooler was not at all working. Inside my home, it was intolerable. One had to put on the mosquito nets and that made it all the more suffocating. Woke up in the middle of night around two. Was feeling that had i slept for another 10 minutes, would have met Yamaraj for sure. Woke my daughter up and we slept inside the car for the whole night.

I have a Honda Mobilio I-Dtec. Folded the middle row. I always carry a thin cotton mattress with me. Laid it. Spread a bedsheet. Used 2 pillows. Put the A/C in fresh air mode. Rolled down the windows by 1 centimeter and put the curtains on to ensure that morning sunlight does not disturb us. No disturbance from insects. Me and my daughter slept in perfect comfort. We had to increase the temperature and had to cover my daughter with another bedsheet. We woke up fresh as a lily in the morning.

Actually, I have got used to all this. My long drives normally extends upto 17-18 hours in one stretch where i cover almost 1100 kilometers one side. My kids and parents have got used to all this. They do not want to travel in other vehicles that i own and are very fond of my Mobilio just due to this reason. Two elders and a kid can sleep in utmost comfort. The legs stretch out to full(i am 5 Ft 6). The best part is that you are saved from all the hassles of looking out for some hotel. Once when i was driving alone from Faridabad to Patna, then i had slept for sometime during the morning hours(3 A.M.-5 A.M.) after parking at the petrol pump. Used the washroom to freshen up and had tea at the tea-stall just outside the pump.

Now that this car has been discontinued, u can look at BRV(not sure if they currently sell it). Or the other option that you have is Ford Ecosport-Sports variant where the rear seat fold down flat and u can again make a bed. Put your luggage between the first and second row seats. Keep the necessary items(which will be used in morning, snacks, other eatables) on the front seat when you are sleeping during the night. Will not suggest Ertiga/XL6 because of obvious reasons.
su1978 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 07:34   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
I myself have done it during my last trip to my village in one of the remotest location in Bihar. Although the condition of electricity is far better than what we have in some parts of Delhi/NCR(I stay in Faridabad, Sector-49 and we have power cuts for almost 7-8 hours in a day), but the heat that night was unbearable and it was humid as well. The cooler was not at all working. Inside my home, it was intolerable. One had to put on the mosquito nets and that made it all the more suffocating. Woke up in the middle of night around two. Was feeling that had i slept for another 10 minutes, would have met Yamaraj for sure. Woke my daughter up and we slept inside the car for the whole night.
Sounds good. In fact, I'm going solo riverside camping in a day or two. Taking my tent along, but not sure I'll be able to sleep in it in the present heat and humidity of South Bengal. So, may end up sleeping in the car. As for a different vehicle, I am looking to buy a 4x4 for long trips (which I shall be doing multiple times every year from now on), so that I don't have to omit the best places up in the mountains, and on slushy/muddy/slippery terrains. Test-drove the new Thar a few days ago (on-road only). Liked the power, acceleration, braking, gear-shift, etc., but there's zero space behind the second row (boot). That's a minus. An even bigger minus is the waiting period - 44 weeks for hard-top and 26 weeks for soft-top. I have my eyes on the new Gurkha (if and when it finally comes out), but space will be an issue with that, too. I can't afford a new Isuzu MU-X or Mitsubishi Pajero, so thinking of buying an old (2022/13/14) car of one of those models. Wonder if that is a good idea. Would appreciate advice on this. Was considering the CR-V, but am concerned that parts would be hard to get as it has been discontinued.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 29th August 2021 at 08:34. Reason: Mod note attached.

Most Viewed