Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2008, 14:20   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Is that a xing ? well Xing comes with Dual coil ignition system therefore you can't just add any normal tacho. You would need a DIS compatible tacho. or You would need a RPM adapter to use the normal tacho with the 4 Cylinder option.

I'm using a tacho from Sunpro® on my xing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek View Post
i have a tacho installed in my santro.i got it for 9k 2 years before.

here is the pic
aZa / prateek- is your techno fitted to the ignition coil or is it fitted to the ECM ?

In mumbai i was only able to find dealer to fit the techno to the ECM and iam afraid they could damage that expensive part.
The ignition coils seems a safer option.
Old 9th January 2009, 17:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
aZa / prateek- is your techno fitted to the ignition coil or is it fitted to the ECM ?

In mumbai i was only able to find dealer to fit the techno to the ECM and iam afraid they could damage that expensive part.
The ignition coils seems a safer option.

Hey Aza, I have heard that it difficult for new Santro (xing) to fit a tacho. ! In pune, nobody is ready to touch my car, as they are not sure about how to fix it.

I've to buy a tacho, but based on what you said, M still confused whether to buy a autoguage, or sunpro or autometer.

Could you please let me know how you have carried on the installations, an pics would be really appriciable.

Please please send as much details as you can, to fit the tacho to new Santro Xing.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Hey Aza, I have heard that it difficult for new Santro (xing) to fit a tacho. ! In pune, nobody is ready to touch my car, as they are not sure about how to fix it.

I've to buy a tacho, but based on what you said, M still confused whether to buy a autoguage, or sunpro or autometer.

Could you please let me know how you have carried on the installations, an pics would be really appriciable.

Please please send as much details as you can, to fit the tacho to new Santro Xing.

Anybody could reply please..
Old 13th January 2009, 12:46   #34
BHPian

Yatin,

Does the tacho you are going to buy have a two cylinder setting? this is what u have to check.

My Understanding.

Santro comes with a dual coil ignition system. this means one coil controls 2 cylinders, therefore only a tacho with 2 cylinder setting will give accurate rpm.

if the tacho is set on 4 cylinder, you get half rpm reading. and on 3 cylinder setting you will get 3/4 rpm reading.

Till now, what i have understood is that only Sunpro, based from USA, has 2 cylinder setting in some of their tacho's.

Some members have discussed, that a 4 cylinder set tacho can be used, if connected to the ECu. but this includes getting a feed for the EC wiring harness. that is risky and will void your warranty.

Even a wire connected to your ignition coil, will void your warranty if not removed before going to A.S.S.

Bottom line - get a tacho with a 2 cylinder setting to start with. then make sure it is connected to the coil and not ECU.

In Mumbai, i have personnaly searched a lot for a tacho with a 2 cylinder setting, for my santro and found none.

Members in mumbai - any help will be deeply appreciated.

UM
Old 13th January 2009, 13:09   #35
BHPian

Other solution

Autometer/sunpro RPM Adapter, Using this the 4 cylinder setting of any tacho will show the correct RPM

UM
Old 13th January 2009, 13:24   #36

My santro is fixed with Autometer
Attached Thumbnails
Tacho for Santro-imgp0020.jpg  

Old 13th January 2009, 15:22   #37
BHPian

Sandeep,

thanks, but i would like some more info and pics. PLEASE.

1. which gear - 4th or 5th? 135km/hr @4000rpm.
2. Autometer Model ? and cost?
3. connected to ignition coil or ECM/ECU wiring? Clear pic of the signal wire connected inside the engine bay.
4. any adapter used or only tacho?
5. what setting are you using - meaning is there a 2 cylinder setting behind the tacho.

UM
Old 13th January 2009, 15:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

msandeep,
Thats a nice tacho you have. From where did you get the tacho. Whatz the cost ?
Old 13th January 2009, 16:02   #39
BANNED

Essentially in a dual coil ignition you fire two cylinders (which work in tandem) at a time. One is starting Power Stroke while the other is going from Exhaust to Induction. The latter is a blank spark so does not matter. You do not see the pulses from the other pair of plugs/cylinders. Thus you get the pulses from half the number of cylinders. Hence the corrections required.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:07   #40
BHPian

Hey UniqueMods,

Thanks for the info brother. Well yes, I did some R & D, too looks like Sunpro is the best option.
Well have u tried Milan Subway and Opera house. ! Also check out with n1 racing, near Prabhadevi..

Quote:
Yatin,

Does the tacho you are going to buy have a two cylinder setting? this is what u have to check.

My Understanding.

Santro comes with a dual coil ignition system. this means one coil controls 2 cylinders, therefore only a tacho with 2 cylinder setting will give accurate rpm.

if the tacho is set on 4 cylinder, you get half rpm reading. and on 3 cylinder setting you will get 3/4 rpm reading.

Till now, what i have understood is that only Sunpro, based from USA, has 2 cylinder setting in some of their tacho's.

Some members have discussed, that a 4 cylinder set tacho can be used, if connected to the ECu. but this includes getting a feed for the EC wiring harness. that is risky and will void your warranty.

Even a wire connected to your ignition coil, will void your warranty if not removed before going to A.S.S.

Bottom line - get a tacho with a 2 cylinder setting to start with. then make sure it is connected to the coil and not ECU.

In Mumbai, i have personnaly searched a lot for a tacho with a 2 cylinder setting, for my santro and found none.

Members in mumbai - any help will be deeply appreciated.

UM
Old 13th January 2009, 22:10   #41
BHPian

Yatin,

have tried milan but not opera house. have spoken to n1, but the refused saying the reading never come right as they only deal in autogauge.

will try opera house for sunpro and autometer rpm adapter.

Mr. Sandeep - we need ur input on my quetions above.
Old 14th January 2009, 01:57   #42
BHPian

Sunpro Tacho for Santro

Guys just browsing thru' the Sunpro site found their Sun Super Tech III serise Tachmeters (Model No. CP7914/CP7905/CP7915) have the 2 cylinder setting for modern DIS ignition application i.e., compatible for Santro. Price is $ 105.99. Available in US of A, Maxico and Canada.
Attached Files
File Type: doc santro_tacho.doc (310.5 KB, 528 views)
Old 14th January 2009, 11:09   #43
BHPian

Gaddiwale,

There are lot of models of sunpro with 2 cylinder setting.
but the problem is, in india no dealer stock sunpro.

Ebay is an option, but shipping is alone about 55$ plus the cost of the tacho at around 60$ for the 3.25inch model and over 100$ for 5 inch is too costly for a tacho. Rs.5750. & Rs. 7750.

Ebay bidding (Second hand) is an option as it one might get a tacho for about 25$ + 55$ = Rs.4000.

I was informed by a member, that Sunpro are imported on demand basis by Performance zone (handle is "Smokin") in Delhi.

Yatin - try to contact him if the tacho is extremly important.

UM
Old 14th January 2009, 12:55   #44
BHPian

Well m searching in pune, if i could get sunpro. ! BUt most of the dealers not having it.
I might come down to Mumbai. I think Opera must be surely having it.
May be Viper can also provide some info , where i can get. !
Also @ shivaji park, Dadar, theres some mechanic, you can help you out to get Sunpro

Quote:
Gaddiwale,

There are lot of models of sunpro with 2 cylinder setting.
but the problem is, in india no dealer stock sunpro.

Ebay is an option, but shipping is alone about 55$ plus the cost of the tacho at around 60$ for the 3.25inch model and over 100$ for 5 inch is too costly for a tacho. Rs.5750. & Rs. 7750.

Ebay bidding (Second hand) is an option as it one might get a tacho for about 25$ + 55$ = Rs.4000.

I was informed by a member, that Sunpro are imported on demand basis by Performance zone (handle is "Smokin") in Delhi.

Yatin - try to contact him if the tacho is extremly important.

UM
Old 15th January 2009, 12:51   #45

The meter is wired to the ecm ,no pic with me,There is no setting behind the meter.I was in 5th gear @4000rpm

Quote:
Sandeep,

thanks, but i would like some more info and pics. PLEASE.

1. which gear - 4th or 5th? 135km/hr @4000rpm.
2. Autometer Model ? and cost?
3. connected to ignition coil or ECM/ECU wiring? Clear pic of the signal wire connected inside the engine bay.
4. any adapter used or only tacho?
5. what setting are you using - meaning is there a 2 cylinder setting behind the tacho.

UM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks