Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2021, 00:34   #31

Re: Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I am very fond of travelling to natural gems and to explore remote locations. But these locations don't have good places to stay or even a decent restaurant. I was planning to buy thar 2020 but due to long waiting list and urgency to buy a new car for my parents I finally finalised honda city for my parents and took Maruti baleno from them for my use.
First I installed a custom made plywood box which have seperate drawers for my butane stove, a functional sink, usb charged water tap. I also purchased a manual pressure water can for bathing and washing utensils. I also made by myself awning using tarp and PVC pipes(height adjustable).
Currently I am keeping my tent and other camping gears in the trunk. I am using a 42 litre ice box for keeping veggies, water and beverages.
What I kept in my mind while doing this is that all of this can fit in my trunk without changing any structural changes in my car. Here I am attaching some photos of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-img_20210602_192815__01.jpg  

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-img_20210602_192807__01.jpg  

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-img_20210602_192946__01.jpg  

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-img_20210602_193005__01.jpg  

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-img_20210612_203456__01.jpg  

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-screenshot_20210822003117.jpg  

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-screenshot_20210822003104.jpg  

Maddy1691 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 19:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread and a lot of innovative ideas here. I am also planning to convert my hardtop camping trailer into a soft top collapsible pop up type, to decrease the perceived weight and top heavy feeling of the trailer.
The Benz camper can be white plated as long as it’s registered as a camper with design pre-approved by the concerned RTO.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:20   #33
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Jibhi - Jalori - Manali - Rohtang - Sissu | A 4500 km road-trip in an Isuzu V-Cross

Your travelogue comes at a time when I'd been thinking about VCross as one of the cars to choose from when I change my drive in next 2 to 3 years. I live in Nepal and have done 61K in 4.5 years in my dzire. In next 5-7 years, I plan to explore the hinterlands of the country and a possible trip to neighbouring countries. Cars are very expensive in Nepal. Hence, I need to something that works, is value for money and reliable. For reference, dzire Vxi is 20 lacs INR here. Thar is yet to arrive here but will be here in a year or two. But it's a small car. I'm not into off roading but rather over landing. Vcross and Hilux seem to suit my needs which are 55lacs INR and 65 lacs INR here, but still above my budget. Isuzu Dmax is reasonably affordable but that is without 4×4 and costs 29 lacs INR here.
I'd like to know more about your car. How easy is it on pockets for maintenance? How reliable is it? Will upcoming scorpio with 4×4 be a good alternative? I test drove Scorpio pickup a few years ago, but didnt find the ride to be comfortable. But it's rather affordable at 25 lacs INR. Only reason to choose pickup is its VFM factor in Nepal becaue pickups are categorised as commercial vehicles and hence attract a tax of 110% + while cars are taxed at 240%+. Compass seems to suit my needs but the 4x4 is 80 lacs INR here.
My questions to BHPians are:
1. What would be a good over landing vehicle that's as reliable and easy to maintain as dzire?
2. Is over landing recommended without 4x4? For your information, the roads are bad in mountains of Nepal?
3. Will upcoming Scorpio get a pickup version?
4. How does capabilities of isuzu dmax compare with vcross?
5. Is Bolero Neo even an option?
6. Accidents/rollovers may happen in hilly roads. A safe vehicle is desired.

Please note this is going to be my single car that I'd also drive to work and use for everything else that I've been using my Dzire for.

Please take your time to really. I still have a couple of years before I upgrade.
amitjha086 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:31   #34

Over a horizon of a year or so, I am planning to buy and/or modify an RV equivalent car. I am also thinking of using this as a regular commute in the crowded and narrow roads of Bangalore(gulp).

I am currently looking at Isuzu V cross(since it has two rows of front seats) and preferably used one. Planning to convert the rear with a canopy and throw a couple of beds or recliners in there with a cooler or table.For travels and short trips away from the city this looks fine to me. But wondering if this can be realistically used for city travel considering the narrow Bangalore lanes. My thinking is I have seen D Max on the roads and if a Force can fit the road, then V cross can fit in.

My requirement is comfort for the passengers (3-5 people) and should be able to stretch themselves and have food on the go.

My questions are
1. Is it worth investing in such a vehicle if I go on a weekend trip or two every month?*
2. Are there better options for my requirements? My budget is 20 lakhs or less for used vehicle and upgrades.
3. I guess I can only afford manual for that budget. I am okay with that.
4. How comfortable is the city driving? I can see that most of my current u turns in my Ford Aspire would be a three point turns in Isuzu and it can get annoying in a city. Of course increased width can also be an issue.
5. Appreciate any other inputs as well.
Thanks.

Last edited by sarvo : 19th August 2022 at 14:34.
Old 13th October 2023, 19:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Hope Tata offers this kit with the new Safari.
Unfortunately, Tata didn't. So, we decided to install a Roof Top Tent and a 270 degree fox awning. We got it done through Ravin of Motorgarage.in (Gurgaon). Bought the tents secondhand through an Overlanding Association member in Gujarat.

Some installation pics (sorry for the quality, will update with overlanding pics on a different thread)

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-whatsapp-image-20231009-21.40.03.jpeg

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-whatsapp-image-20231009-21.39.59.jpeg

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-whatsapp-image-20231013-19.22.28.jpeg

Indian cars modified for camping & overlanding-whatsapp-image-20231013-19.26.38.jpeg:
hailking is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed