Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Old 25th September 2017, 21:47   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Improving your car's brakes: Options and costs

I need to replace front rotors & pads and rear shoes of my Getz. Was looking at various options and found that Bosch pads' market price is 1/3rd that of OEM ones. Could the former be fake or are they really that cheap?

I have always used OEM parts plus Authorised Service combo for everything except the regular consumables, so don't know the price difference between OEM and after market stuff.
Has anyone used Bosch brake parts here, and they are as good as OEM?

Thanks.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th September 2017 at 03:46. Reason: As requested
Old 26th September 2017, 01:46   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
I need to replace front rotors & pads and rear shoes of my Getz. Was looking at various options and found that Bosch pads' market price is 1/3rd that of OEM ones. Could the former be fake or are they really that cheap?
I have always used OEM parts plus Authorised Service combo for everything except the regular consumables, so don't know the price difference between OEM and after market stuff.
Has anyone used Bosch brake parts here, and they are as good as OEM?
Thanks.
I will leave it to other more knowledgeable members to comment on this for India. But I can confirm that in many countries I have lived and worked the OEM prices of parts could be a factor 2-3 as much as the exact same price from the exact same part manufacturer.
A few example:
My Alfa Spider has a Bosch fuel pump. This Alfa pump cost nearly three times the price as the Bosch one from an independent part depot. The difference, the first one comes into an Alfa Romeo box, the second one in a Bosch box.
Spark plugs for any of my cars are at least half the price then any Jaguar/Mercedes/Alfa/Ford dealer would charge me for the exact same Bosch/NGK or whatever brand is fitted by the factory originally.

OEM typically also use their own part numbering. So you have to be able to find a matching part number from Bosch.
As long as you are confident you are getting the exact same part, why pay 2-3 times more?
Whereas Bosch is a well know aftermarket supplier they are also used by many car manufacturers as well for many different parts.
Whereas it is fairly simple to establish for most cars a list of OEM part numbers versus aftermarkets brands and part numbers, establishing whether something is a fake or not is much more difficult.

Even OEM parts have been known to be fake. And they have been used by some main stream dealers who were genuinely conned. I don’t think you can do much about this, other than try and deal with reputable companies as much as you can.
And closely inspect the parts, the packaging, the invoices etc.

Good luck,

Jeroen

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th September 2017 at 03:47.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 02:09   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I will leave it to other more knowledgeable members to comment on this for India. But I can confirm that in many countries I have lived and worked the OEM prices of parts could be a factor 2-3 as much as the exact same price from the exact same part manufacturer.
And closely inspect the parts, the packaging, the invoices etc.
Thanks for your input. The shop I enquired from is the one I get engine oil, filter, spark plugs etc from. The Shell engine oil is of a way better grade at slightly lower than OEM price. Rest is OEM supplier's aftermarket stuff.

Packaging can be very deceptive here in India, that's where all the attention to detail goes on the fake manufacturer's end!

I found contact details of the main Brembo importer/ distributor in India here on T-BHP. Funnily enough, going by the prices on Amazon, Brembo and Hyundai OEM cost the same!

Might be a overkill but I have contacted the guy anyway. If price + shipping are equal to OEM, I might as well get those.

Last edited by mn2363 : 26th September 2017 at 02:15. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed