Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 10:40   #1
BHPian

Review: JBL GT Bass Pro 12" Subwoofer

This goes back to 2017 when I was a teenager and always fancied the extra bass in cars whenever they pass by. The deep *boom boom* you feel in your heart hearing the car coming from miles away made me happier than anyone can think.
So it was 2017, I had dropped a year for preparing for my medical entrances and there was no way in hell my parents were giving me a loud subwoofer coz I should be studying and not listening to music. Days went by, I almost forgot the subwoofer dream and settled for the factory bass which was adequate if you ask anyone but me. Our car back then was a 2013 polo petrol SR edition(highline) and with the factory setup the bass would decrease if I increase the sound from 16 . This used to always bug me.

Time went by , my entrances came and gone and there I was with nothing to do . Came the result day everyone tense since I'd dropped a year and if I didn't make it that year than my entire family would have been disappointed.
Well, hard work and a lil bit of luck made sure I cleared my entrances and my parents were more than happy , with my dad being a doctor. The results came and I remember I was at my relatives house and I went to the terrace and had a lil dance w myself alone and then I went down directly to my mom's room and told her I want a subwoofer for my car. To my surprise she agreed without any questions and there I was ordering my first Subwoofer from Snapdeal.
The choices:
1. A JBL basstube : I used to have a cheap basstube in our santro back in the day when I was in school. The bass was so unbearable that the song couldn't be heard. So I steered clear of basstubes whatever brand they maybe
2. Sony XS-NW120S subwoofer with Sony XM-N1004 amp (4 channel): i wanted less of hassle and buying a subwoofer and amp different was complicating things for me. Also my friend had a similar setup in his Polo and the bass didn't impress me much
3. Some Blaupunkt subwoofer: no dislikes but not fond of the brand and as for bass is concerned, i was young and thought JBL was the king
4. JBL GT basspro 12: looks classy, built with inbuilt amp, remote for controlling bass levels
COST:
The other setups (sony , blaupunkt, jbl bass tube, etc) with amp was coming around to 14k.
The JBL bass pro was listed on many sites and snapdeal had the cheapest offer of around 11k something if the remember correctly. Less of hassle and less money made me seal the deal.
Wiring: 1k idk which brand(bought from FNG) but it is still running fine after 4 years without a single issue.

I went for the JBL GT basspro 12 after watching YouTube videos checking for reviews and everything. Also looked like a lesser hassle to me to install compared to other subwoofer and basstubes though I was a noob at that time.
INSTALLATION:
The subwoofer came after 7 days and boy oh boy I was excited. I didn't have a DL till then do my dad didn't let me drive until I got my DL so I went w my driver to the courier service the day it arrived . Picked up the subwoofer, went to a FNG where it took couple of hours to put in the wiring and everything since this was a bone stock car.
After everything was fitted I put on ICE and connected my phone through BT and played a song w enough bass and boy oh boy was I disappointed. The sound output was worse than a basstube. I couldnt hear any song except for a deep bass and no thumpy bass. The FNG guy told me that a hi low converted will fix the problem and since I didn't have money I told him that that'll I get next time I visit.
With a heavy heart iwent home . I called up my friend with the sony sub and amp setup and thankfully he came immediately to my house. He started fiddling with the controls on the subwoofer, on the infotainment system but nothing was working. The bass still sucks TBH. His sony setup was sounding way bettet than mine. Then he went to menu in ICE and then to balance and shifted the balance to one side. The entire dynamic of the bass changed. My heart beat started racing. A song was playing in the background and the bass came it blew my mind off. Crisp thumpy bass and a deep bass perfectly in sync with the song . I was in the drivers seat the the bass hit me in the back from way over the bootspace where the sub was. I was ecstatic. I thanked my friend. He told me not to get a hi low converter although I dont know what it is and told me the FNG guys messed something up in the wiring. Went to the FNG guys and showed them what the problem was the they immediately understood and rewired the system within an hour and then I kept my balance on 0 and checked and the bass was still there.
Happier than ever , left the FNG and asked to driver to make a round of our town so that I feel the bass and also so that everyone else around me also feels the same.
Went around the town and I kid you not, everyone was turning heads as to like what the hell is that? I know fancy cars turns heads but trust me a decent car w a classy and ample bass turns head even better. I was young and was loving all the attention I was getting. THE BEST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE FOR A SUBWOOFER

Dislikes:
1.Eats up the entire bootspace: i dont need the bootspace since I always drive alone or with single passenger . For long drives, the rear seat is where I keep the luggages
2.Vibrations : dayum, if you have a heart condition you should steer clear. This thing vibrates like hell and the you feel each and every note of bass though your seat.
The rear seat passengers complains due to excessive bass
3. Not mom and dad friendly: my parents are not a fan of bass and hence the stereo is always switched off whenever parents are in the car

Fast forward to now:

I am medical student now, drive my car everyday to college since I live where I study (Jorhat Medical college, Assam). Its been more than 4 years now and the bass that I heard on the first day when my friend corrected it , is still there. The bass never disspoints me. NEVER. Always in perfect sync with the songs I hear although my genre is a little bit bass inclusive. Everymorning I wake up to go to college, get in the car , the first thing I do is to turn on the stereo always after starting the car. I put the volume level to around 12 , not too high not too low and play a song on my phone and if that doesnt lift your mood in the morning I dont know what will. I havent used dampers or anyting of that sort in my car and till date I hear no rattling sounds in my car . Sure the bass vibrates the IRVM and everything but thats something I live for. Although I am getting older , I dont think I'll ever get tired of listening to that bass. My parents always know when I'm coming home minutes before I even arrive due to the bass vibration felt in the house with the low humming. I assume my neighbors do as well but thankfully no complaints against me till now.
As I grow older, i realise that the bass it not for me to show off but to actually get a better feel of the music not not for others to hear your music. Although it still turns heads with my car being more than 7 years old now and the sub being more than 4 years old

My friend who used to own the sony setup sold his old setup after listening to my setup . He later bought an infinity subwoofer with a sony monoblock amp and now he's satisfied than before.
My other friends also have a pioneer and a sony setup but non of the above setups even compare to my JBL GT Bass Pro 12 and they admit that. Although i dont know if its still available in the market today but if you find one and is i the market for buying one , go for it without thinking twice and blame me if you get disappointed.
Ending with a picture I took today while listening to a song in a stationary car since Jorhat is a containment zone and I cant take my car out. You can get better pictures on the net .
Attached Thumbnails
Review: JBL GT Bass Pro 12" Subwoofer-20210727_091402.jpg  

Gorkey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks