Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2021, 13:42   #1

Skoda Rapid Suspension Replacement

My 8 year old Skoda Rapid has seen a lot of abuse, along with fair amount of off-roading in places like Spiti. The car has amazing build quality and the OEM front suspension lasted a while, but had to be replaced eventually. However the new struts that the ASS installed lasted only 2 years and they are now failing again. I read on the forum that Skoda is using lower quality struts now compared to the German made OEM parts in 2013 model. I intend to keep this car for a few more years, so I have decided not to go with OEM anymore.

I read different reviews on the forum but unable to decide on the right brands / models in Rs. 20-30k range (front+rear). I am looking for good handling to complement this amazing car, but something that has better build quality and is too stiff in terms of ride quality either. Can some of the entry level Koni models fit the budget ?

Also, please suggest a good place in Gurgaon / Delhi where I can source and replace these.
sanchit223 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 15:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Suspension Replacement

A pair of Monroe or TRW struts should be good enough for your usage, unless you want upmarket stuff like Bilstein. You can buy them online at Boodmo I believe and then get them fitted at a local garage.
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think you need to check out this thread:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4114763 (Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento)

Sachs is another brilliant alternative to the OEM suspension supplied today. You'll get a lot of info on that thread about various experiments tried by our members.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 17:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

OEM for VW/Skoda is Gabriel.

In aftermarket, Monroe makes better shock absorbers. They cost slightly more than OEM, but are much better quality and offer better ride and handling characteristics.

Sachs is another brand that is excellent. However, they are not so easily available here. You might have to search around
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 20:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchit223 View Post

Also, please suggest a good place in Gurgaon / Delhi where I can source and replace these.
Sachs is the best option in my opinion, a great balance between comfort, ride and handling. Loved it in my Laura Tsi and the Civic. Kashmere Gate is where you will get it for sure. Quite a few Sachs distributers there. Also they are pretty reasonably priced for what they offer.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 22:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I think you need to check out this thread:
Thanks. I saw this thread earlier, but later posts highlighted some concerns on the quality so avoiding TRW if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Sachs is the best option in my opinion, a great balance between comfort, ride and handling. Loved it in my Laura Tsi and the Civic. Kashmere Gate is where you will get it for sure. Quite a few Sachs distributers there. Also they are pretty reasonably priced for what they offer.
Thanks, any specific reference in Kashmere Gate for Sachs ? I'll go there next week to check. Unfortunately, had small accident today which shattered the window glass and the car is in bodyshop right now for next few days :(

Last edited by aah78 : 12th August 2021 at 22:50. Reason: Posts merged. Quote trimmed. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when reply to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 13th August 2021, 10:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, any specific reference in Kashmere Gate for Sachs ? I'll go there next week to check. Unfortunately, had small accident today which shattered the window glass and the car is in bodyshop right now for next few days :

(
It was a shop before BKS Motors. They had the SACHs logo. I had bought the shocks, and TRW lower arms and ball joints for the Civic. You will find a lot of shops which will stock Sachs actually.

I am waiting for my Rapid suspensions to conk out, so that I can go for Sachs
Old 13th August 2021, 15:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
It was a shop before BKS Motors. They had the SACHs logo. I had bought the shocks, and TRW lower arms and ball joints for the Civic. You will find a lot of shops which will stock Sachs actually.

I am waiting for my Rapid suspensions to conk out, so that I can go for Sachs
Thanks. BKS Motors seems to have shut down since none of their 6-7 phone numbers are reachable. Let me look for some other places in that area.
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

I had installed TRW struts on my Vento a long time ago, while they were better damped and offered a flatter ride quality, the front ones developed a slight knocking sound after 10-15k kms. If you can stretch for it and want to keep the car for a while, i recommend Bilsteins.

The ride may be stiffer but it would change the way your car rides/handles and are impeccably built, much more expensive compared to other options.

Had installed Sachs too on the Vento at front and they were really nice, had them on for 6k kms before the car was sold off.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 11:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. BKS Motors seems to have shut down since none of their 6-7 phone numbers are reachable. Let me look for some other places in that area.
Did you get the suspension changed ?
What did you get and how are they performing.
Old 21st November 2021, 23:09   #11

I could not find Sachs / Bilsteins for Rapid in Kashmere Gate, tried 8-10 different shops. Still looking for these.
sanchit223 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 09:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I could not find Sachs / Bilsteins for Rapid in Kashmere Gate.

How much would these cost ?
I am thinking of update, if my Budget permits.
Old 13th January 2022, 19:30   #13
BHPian

I am also planning to change the shocks in my Rapid 2015 TDI AT that has done 65k.
I Will be checking the shocks with my FNG and going by the various comments by people who have actually taken the plunge, OEM struts in front and TRW struts at the rear seems to work.
I am planning to go in for Monroe at the front and TRW at the rear as OEM Gabriel does not seem to cut it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks