Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 09:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Hella Light Bar 470 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hello All,

As a part of the ongoing Mod journey on my Seltos, one long pending one was improving on the OE light set up.

This is the Stock High Beam on a typical highway with reflectors, cat eyes etc.

This is the Stock HB + Hella -
Hi

Thanks for sharing details on this upgrade!

I see that the image for the stock highbeam and highbeam+Hella is the same (confirmed with the 2 cars passing by in the frame )

Please help with the intended image

Thanks!
Old 8th September 2021, 09:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
As per law any light placed above 1.5 m or the intensity that blinds a person at 8 m are illegal, also no vehicle should have more than 4 head lights. This mod is illegal as per CMVR.
Which I am conscious of. But by that logic, sun film is illegal, even changing tyre specs is illegal, changing stock headlamps is illegal, going above 80 is illegal

https://www.sci.gov.in/supremecourt/...9-Jan-2019.pdf

Per this judgment, anything you do to stock is illegal.

What is your point? If you don't want to install these bars, that's your prerogative but please let's not go down the "it's illegal path", given our regulations a whole lot of things are illegal yet almost mandatory for most car owners.

To be very technical

It is not placed 1.5 mtr above

The stock has 2 lights + the bar as one (do our rto lawsrules have regulations on how led bars are counted)

"blinding" is a very vague term. Will check if any lumens level is mentioned, making it easier to to define and quantify this aspect

Last edited by Stribog : 8th September 2021 at 09:49.
Stribog is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 10:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To be very technical

It is not placed 1.5 mtr above

The stock has 2 lights + the bar as one (do our rto lawsrules have regulations on how led bars are counted)
As long as you keep it covered in the city you are unlikely to get into any trouble.

All non OEM LED lights are categorized as 'Dazzling lights' by the local RTO especially in Bangalore, you`ll not be able to get out of it without removing it and paying a fine.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 10:49   #19
BHPian

The intent of people pointing out the legality is to let others know this will be an issue with cops. If you ask around, 70%+ people will have issues with headlight output, though it is a different topic altogether, why? They should know the legality before spending a big amount on such bars. I think all external lights on automobiles are illegal, they are allowed only for off-roading and I think somewhat on the lines of hills roads, since the roads do not have street lights there and it doesn't hamper oncoming traffic due to twisty roads. The lights have to be covered with a black cover when not in use. Have seen cops catching people on NH 1 many times for light bars, and it is the biggest and busiest highway in north India. By the way you will find very rare cars with sunfilm in North India, I don't know a single person in my circle who has sunfilm now.
BhayanaV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 10:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Installation video of Hella 470 in a Seltos
https://Youtu.be/UAwJVuO6iEc
Hello

Can you please share the details of this Hella contact person?
Also, is he an authorised dealer? Please let me know.

thanks.
Old 8th September 2021, 11:14   #21
BHPian

For those who think the Hella AUX light setup will blind the oncoming traffic or be a safety hazard, I would humbly like to bring their attention to the stock LED headlights of the Honda Activa and KTM Duke series bike or for that matter any vehicle with LED headlights and reflector setup.
I totally agree with OP that while driving on highways we need to have a considerably longer patch lit up for taking corrective actions on time. So, AUX lights given the poor design and throw of most Indian car headlights sadly remain a necessary evil.
AROO7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:

I also wanted the pencil beam and he advised me against it as his logic was the highway mode is not highly centered and has clean coverage till about 100 meters , and also gives better visibility on signages etc. The pencil beam is much more focused and there is no intermediate coverage.

He was the expert, he made very clean objective arguments and left it to me the customer, to go for it. I chose the 470.
Excellent mod you got there!

I got hold off an 470 pencil last month and installed the same on my Thar.
The distributer is spot on. Pencil beam is very focused but has a very long throw compared to High Beam which has a wider beam pattern.
As I have already replaced my stock fog lamps with FE Retrofit Xenon Projectors which has got a fairly wide coverage, I chose 470 to have a long distance visibility.

Can you post a front pic of your Seltos to see where have you placed it?
Attached Thumbnails
Hella Light Bar 470 Review-1631079335283.jpg  

MithunSathianat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Hi

Thanks for sharing details on this upgrade!

I see that the image for the stock highbeam and highbeam+Hella is the same (confirmed with the 2 cars passing by in the frame )

Please help with the intended image

Thanks!
I realise that now, my bad am just dumb!

Have 25 pics and now trying to figure out which is which.

I will identify a dark spot somewhere along my route today and update with fresh pics.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:50   #24
ike
BHPian

Quote:

given our regulations a whole lot of things are illegal yet almost mandatory for most car owners.
While installing aux lights/light bars and other mods are up to the owner, there's very little(if at all) that is "almost mandatory" on a car. If the law says anything other than stock is illegal, there is very little ambiguity here and little scope for interpretation.
Old 8th September 2021, 12:31   #25
BHPian

Did you evaluate Rallye 4000 or Rallye 4000 LED?
Rallye 4000 - a set of two costs approximately 21k while Rallye 4000LED have really long throws and costs about 62k (set of two)

A friend of mine is evaluating these for his new Fortuner. Again, to be used only for divided highways.

Last edited by channelv : 8th September 2021 at 12:33.
Old 8th September 2021, 13:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Can you share a pic of the fixture take in day time, this will help in understanding how it looks.
I had a Hella 350 (high beam) installed on Polo and used for couple of months before I let it go for Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit. I got it installed inside the fog grille (Polo's fog grille doesn't block the individual lenses on the lightbar) in the same level as fog lights.

Hella Light Bar 470 Review-img_7075.jpg

Hella Light Bar 470 Review-img_7082.jpg

Hella Light Bar 470 Review-img_7076.jpg

A separate switch was also installed and tucked it here, it was indeed easy to operate.

Hella Light Bar 470 Review-img_7085.jpg

The beam pattern was superb and it appeared as a thin light strip if you look into the lightbar from near. But, to my surprise it looked like a fireball from distance (say 30-40m) which I find could be dangerous for the oncoming traffic. In short, I was left with using the lightbar only on divided highways that too when there were no vehicles ahead. This wasn't serving my purpose and ended up having a bixenon retrofit.
TurboGuy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 13:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuy View Post
I had a Hella 350 (high beam) installed on Polo and used for couple of months before I let it go for Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit. I got it installed inside the fog grille (Polo's fog grille doesn't block the individual lenses on the lightbar) in the same level as fog lights.

Attachment 2204249

Attachment 2204251

Attachment 2204250

A separate switch was also installed and tucked it here, it was indeed easy to operate.

Attachment 2204252

The beam pattern was superb and it appeared as a thin light strip if you look into the lightbar from near. But, to my surprise it looked like a fireball from distance (say 30-40m) which I find could be dangerous for the oncoming traffic. In short, I was left with using the lightbar only on divided highways that too when there were no vehicles ahead. This wasn't serving my purpose and ended up having a bixenon retrofit.
How much does it cost ? including of fixing charges.. Can you share that car accessories shop location in Bangalore !!
Old 8th September 2021, 14:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
As long as you keep it covered in the city you are unlikely to get into any trouble.

All non OEM LED lights are categorized as 'Dazzling lights' by the local RTO especially in Bangalore, you`ll not be able to get out of it without removing it and paying a fine.
I just have a question. So, do we cover it in the city only because the cops are on the lookout for such mods? If these lights dazzle and blind the oncoming traffic in city conditions, wouldn't they be even more dangerous on highways/stateways where doing triple digit speeds is common? I can't imagine someone glaring these LEDs at me while I am doing speeds of 80 or 90 kmph. I feel LED set up on the newer cars is irritating to begin with. I understand the reason for the upgrade but ones comfort might be someone else's pain point. Driving opposite to cars/bikes having LEDs is irritating. I am sure no one will limit the usage to divided roads, will rather use it even on narrow colonies and streets.

Last edited by Raghu M : 8th September 2021 at 14:10. Reason: new content
Old 8th September 2021, 14:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I just have a question. So, do we cover it in the city only because the cops are on the lookout for such mods? If these lights dazzle and blind the oncoming traffic in city conditions, wouldn't they be even more dangerous on highways/stateways where doing triple digit speeds is common? I can't imagine someone glaring these LEDs at me while I am doing speeds of 80 or 90 kmph. I feel LED set up on the newer cars is irritating to begin with. I understand the reason for the upgrade but ones comfort might be someone else's pain point. Driving opposite to cars/bikes having LEDs is irritating. I am sure no one will limit the usage to divided roads, will rather use it even on narrow colonies and streets.
On highways with divider these are not a problem , certainly one needs to be mindful of when it is being used, there is no point using it when the highway is packed full of traffic and everything is visible, on undivided roads they need to be switched off just like how you would with a high beam.

The real use is when it is a unlit highway with scarce traffic and its raining heavily. This light bar can provide some relief.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 15:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I was looking at this product recently and saw a cleaner mounting solution:
Is it available in India is the big question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks