Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2007, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Sun Roofs : As an after-fitment

Hi,

I am intending to buy a Dicor 4x4 and am intending to put a sun-roof on the same. Who is the best guy to get this done in Bangalore.

Additionally, I would also like the opinions from TBHPians on the warranty aspect of the car. Does the sun-roof affect the warranty ?

What are your opinions to have a sunroof (possibly an Inalfa) ? If any of you have any inputs / experiences to share on the same.

I am initiating this thread as I did not find anything on this in the existing threads.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Webasto Sunroofs India, Car roofs Accessories, Company fitted sunroofs, webasto Motherson India

they are international standard. not sure about your warranty though.
Old 21st May 2007, 20:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

webasto is the best in sunroofs. ive heard of problems of leakages in the monsoon etc.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/search...archid=1274283
Old 21st May 2007, 23:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Possiblity of leakages scared me off from going in for an after market sunroof. I think the Palio S10 would look smashing with a sunroof wouldn't it?
Old 22nd May 2007, 00:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Possiblity of leakages scared me off from going in for an after market sunroof. I think the Palio S10 would look smashing with a sunroof wouldn't it?
yup. provided you are talking about the look from inside.

frankly speaking, outsiders don't get to see the sunroof most of the time.
Old 22nd May 2007, 00:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

They are quiet expensive btw so make sure you can justify spending that kind of money on a sunroof.
Old 22nd May 2007, 09:45   #7
BHPian

Thanks Vivek, Akshay, Amit, iRaghava,

I know of a guy in Lajpat Nagar (Delhi) who specializes in Sunroofs and used to guarantee non-leakage, rain seeping (had accompanied a friend who had gotten done on his Astra). I am looking for someone good in Bangalore now (have relocated here).

Will keep your inputs in mind before getting it done.

Any personal experiences from fellow TBHPians ?
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:52   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you have to install an after-market sunroof, just head over to Webasto. They are the best.

However, be advised that it is not an easy job since it involves cutting body metal. The quality of install is very very important. I personally believe that sunroofs are best fitted at the factory level ONLY.

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2010 at 11:25.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Webasto is definitely good. For whatever fully-automated model they have for the Swift, they'd quoted some 36K a year back incl installation charges and 1 yr warranty.

@vivekiny2k: You're right! That inside view is gorgeous

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd May 2007 at 13:38.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I can comment on this topic. Yes me. I've been to many sales conferences of Webasto Motherson. We were both making presentations to Hyundai, across India.

Motherson India is the company that represents and distributes Webasto in India. Webasto is the world's leading Sun Roof manufaturer and are OEM for many of the world's favourite cars.

There is a particular process during the fitment of these sunroofs. In case a dealer does not have the particular machinery and process, they will visit him and do the needful.

The best way I can suggest you go about fitting a sun roof on your car, is to call your local webasto motherson office - you can find it on the website. Ask for the local area sales manager and speak to him. Ask him who HE would recommend as the best location to fit the sun roof.
They will be happy to speak to the consumer directly.

There are various models, right from the manual lift and push, to the fully motorised sun/moon roof.

Externally it adds a fantastic sportiness to the car. Internally, it's just awesome how the car changes. Especially for a big guy like me, who can tend to feel claustrophobic in a regular car, psychologically, the change is fantastic.

For in-car smokers, the degree of exhaust and odour removal is fantastic. By night it can feel like you are in a convertible. The wind circulation is very very different from driving with 2 windows open. Even on a hot day, with the sun roof open and the windows open just a crack, I was happy.

Downsides: I hear someone say, that it can leak. It can leak, sure. So can the windshield. The risk is about the same. If fit professionally with webasto help and machinery, the risk is about the same.
I would not recommend getting the fabric only sunroof. This exposes your car to security risk.

GO for the motorised openable sun and moon roof. The one that just opens up a crack is pointless.

Don't use it by day for normal city driving. Take your special lady after dinner, for a drive with the roof open and see the magic.
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Webasto is the way to go. They are very professional in their installations and do their job in super quick time. They hae a hige variety in sunroofs from manual to full automatic ones. You could either go in for the 300 series which opens outwards or the inbuilt ones which are more expensive.

the 300 series roofs take a max of 2 hours to install whereas the inbuilt ones take about a day
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:08   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Don't use it by day for normal city driving. Take your special lady after dinner, for a drive with the roof open and see the magic.

you mean like the optra ad? you know where that ends up into.
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:32   #13
BHPian

Thanx Sam,

Thatz an elaborate insight. I owe you one for this. I think I will opt for the motorised sun / moon option for sure.

And the idea of taking the special lady for a drive .... well thats the intention dude.

Will ping you if I need help / guidance further.

BTW, do you use one yourself ?
Old 22nd May 2007, 20:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKo View Post
BTW, do you use one yourself ?
No I do not have a sunroof on either of my cars, but my company used to have an Optra in Bangy with this webasto sun/moon roof and I enjoyed it very much.
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

I got a Webasto sunroof on the Skoda and it started leaking after abt 14months from fitment. I got it done in Marikar Cochin who are the dealers of Webasto.

For 36k, the model u get is kinda like the one u see on the Opel Astra Club.

Most Viewed