Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Old 12th October 2021, 17:41   #16

Default Re: Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster

These lamps comes with led fixed in the high beam barrel, and you have to install the low beam I'm thinking h7 either halogen, led or hids. When I tried leds in a similar setup I had the same problem as you I guess the LEDs were not properly aligned when installed or were of poor quality, anyhow I changed to HIDs which has a more even throw and it was better than stock double barrel headlights. Try and check if the LEDs are installed properly and check the alignment. You can do the alignment yourself or from a competent FNG, just be careful as these Chinese headlights, its easy to break the adjustment knobs.
Gosha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 18:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post

Can the alignment be adjusted? Since I already bought and fitted in my car I doubt there'll be any replacements. At a complete loss
I have a similar set-up on my polo and I am extremely happy with the performance. I am running a 55W HID set-up for the low beam and the throw is at least 2-3 times better than the stock.

These lights are very easily adjustable, at the back of the unit you'll see white gears, with Allen key sockets, you can twist to align the throw. This can be done at home with proper tools. If you're not confident take it to the guy who helped you fit it or a FNG they'll align them for you. As it is Chinese quality too much force on these gears will break them so be careful.
Beerus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 06:02   #18
BHPian

Can you check with the dealer if they have aftermarket headlights from VLAND. I'm using one on my Jazz and very happy with the quality. Try to exchange or sell this one, no point straining yourselves by driving without a proper pair of lights
rahulskumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 19:33   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
Looks like your lights and/or lowbeams are not properly aligned. Any FNG should be able to fix this. This is the first thing I will try. If the lighting is still inadequate, then replace your low beams lights with good quality 4000K HIDs. If you have to do this all over again, then projector retrofits (Bi-xenon like G5-BRT) are the way to go. Would cost about 30K.

These links should be useful
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=03fHzDEHVV4
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=OIow5YgdRro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosha View Post
These lamps comes with led fixed in the high beam barrel, and you have to install the low beam I'm thinking h7 either halogen, led or hids. When I tried leds in a similar setup I had the same problem as you I guess the LEDs were not properly aligned when installed or were of poor quality, anyhow I changed to HIDs which has a more even throw and it was better than stock double barrel headlights. Try and check if the LEDs are installed properly and check the alignment. You can do the alignment yourself or from a competent FNG, just be careful as these Chinese headlights, its easy to break the adjustment knobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
I have a similar set-up on my polo and I am extremely happy with the performance. I am running a 55W HID set-up for the low beam and the throw is at least 2-3 times better than the stock.

These lights are very easily adjustable, at the back of the unit you'll see white gears, with Allen key sockets, you can twist to align the throw. This can be done at home with proper tools. If you're not confident take it to the guy who helped you fit it or a FNG they'll align them for you. As it is Chinese quality too much force on these gears will break them so be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Can you check with the dealer if they have aftermarket headlights from VLAND. I'm using one on my Jazz and very happy with the quality. Try to exchange or sell this one, no point straining yourselves by driving without a proper pair of lights

Thank you everyone for their input . Have tried aligning the lights . Much better than before although i think the HIDs the company sent me may not be bright enough . Thinking about switching to zimmer HID's for the low beam. At this point not too sure about this set. After alignment feels much better than stock though not enough .The left light shakes whenever i go through rough patches. The lower beam cuts off whenever I put the lights on upper. On pass both upper and dipper works. Thats an issue I am facing.Since my car previously had a single bulb for both upper and dipper is causing the problem. Any input these Zimmer HIDs will be big help.
And apologies to the moderators for not checking properly before posting. Realized that after posting it. Any way to edit it?
Old 14th October 2021, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone for their input . Have tried aligning the lights . Much better than before although i think the HIDs the company sent me may not be bright enough . Thinking about switching to zimmer HID's for the low beam. At this point not too sure about this set. After alignment feels much better than stock though not enough .The left light shakes whenever i go through rough patches. The lower beam cuts off whenever I put the lights on upper. On pass both upper and dipper works. Thats an issue I am facing.Since my car previously had a single bulb for both upper and dipper is causing the problem. Any input these Zimmer HIDs will be big help.
And apologies to the moderators for not checking properly before posting. Realized that after posting it. Any way to edit it?
if you feel that the illumination is insufficient you can use bulbs of higher wattage, at 55W it has more than enough illumination for dimly lit area's and highways. In the city with street lights you'll not see alot of illumination because the street lights are brighter.

The shaking issue is there in my unit too, i think it's just a design flaw and obviously a tribute to Chinese quality. On the other hand I noticed minor shakes in a BMW 5 series too.

The high beam/low beam issue can be solved through a VCDS tweak.
Old 14th October 2021, 16:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:

The high beam/low beam issue can be solved through a VCDS tweak.
Can you elaborate a little bit on the VCDS tweak. Since the high beam projector LED doesn't quite do the job well alone. And since the low beam HID cuts off in upper, when in dipper again the HID requires a few seconds to get the operating temperature. Thanks again for your input. It's been of great help.
Old 15th October 2021, 10:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate a little bit on the VCDS tweak. Since the high beam projector LED doesn't quite do the job well alone. And since the low beam HID cuts off in upper, when in dipper again the HID requires a few seconds to get the operating temperature. Thanks again for your input. It's been of great help.
Since your polo was one with a single barrel headlight only one of your beams can be switched on.

There is a setting in the VCDS which can be turned on which will allow your low beam to remain on when the high beam is in use. You can either speak with the dealer and see if he's willing to do it for you or you'll have to go to a good FNG which can access the software through the OBD port and change the settings.

There is a tuner in Bavdan who deals with only Skoda-VW cars, he might help you out. You can PM me for his contact details.
Beerus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 16:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Since your polo was one with a single barrel headlight only one of your beams can be switched on.

There is a setting in the VCDS which can be turned on which will allow your low beam to remain on when the high beam is in use. You can either speak with the dealer and see if he's willing to do it for you or you'll have to go to a good FNG which can access the software through the OBD port and change the settings.

There is a tuner in Bavdan who deals with only Skoda-VW cars, he might help you out. You can PM me for his contact details.
Hey, thanks again. I have a friend can do these sort of things. Will definitely drop a text for you in PM. I'll ask my friend for help. You've been of great help.
Gorkey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed